• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    All my life all i have wanted to do was be in the military but unfortunately last February I had to have surgery and after talking with recruiters there is now no way for me to join any branch. So I started looking into other ways to serve due to my brothers experience with the civil air patrol i put that aside and started looking into the Indiana guard reserve which looked promising until i was told it had a bunch of old farts that wanted a uniform although i have been able to find a few good guys in there. Is there any other way to serve in such a way? I really like the military structure since it is something i understand. I'm only 19 so i cant be a police officer yet and am waiting awhile before i decide to apply for a corrections position. Any ideas on a way to serve preferably with a military structure?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    All my life all i have wanted to do was be in the military but unfortunately last February I had to have surgery and after talking with recruiters there is now no way for me to join any branch. So I started looking into other ways to serve due to my brothers experience with the civil air patrol i put that aside and started looking into the Indiana guard reserve which looked promising until i was told it had a bunch of old farts that wanted a uniform although i have been able to find a few good guys in there. Is there any other way to serve in such a way? I really like the military structure since it is something i understand. I'm only 19 so i cant be a police officer yet and am waiting awhile before i decide to apply for a corrections position. Any ideas on a way to serve preferably with a military structure?
    If you really want to join the military that badly then why would you not join the guard reserve since you're able? :dunno:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    It is my understanding that the guard reserve is pretty much a joke. I wonder if they will let you come and observe what they do before you join, might have to shoot them an email to see. I guess they teach first aid and other emergency medical stuff so even if i didnt get to do much in the IGR i could us the knowledge to serve outside of it.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    It is my understanding that the guard reserve is pretty much a joke. I wonder if they will let you come and observe what they do before you join, might have to shoot them an email to see. I guess they teach first aid and other emergency medical stuff so even if i didnt get to do much in the IGR i could us the knowledge to serve outside of it.
    I can put you in touch with a coworker of mine who trains the MP side of things with the Indiana guard reserve. He might be able to give you a better idea on what it's like. Send me a PM if you're interested.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I just did some looking into IGR recruiting and saw they follow the armys guidlines for height and weight and i am too skinny if i want to join i have to gain weight

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    If i gain a few pounds i might shoot you a pm I guess it wont hurt to check it out. I have a couple friends that are in the same boat as me and are interested as well

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    If you can't join an armed force, you can still serve your country by simply being a model citizen. Don't need to go fight endless wars overseas to serve. Just be a good guy, help make your local community a better place to live and just be a good, American loving patriotic citizen who fights the good fight for things that are right and true, right here at home.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have an almost fist sized sunken spot on my chest its impossible to miss. it doesn't keep me from doing anything in fact i can do more than i could before but they said there is no way i could join. I ain't gonna lie i had tears in my eyes when they said "no" and the Sgt. with whom i had become friends with teared up too. The bright side is several leos i have talked to said i may be able to apply for LE positions when of age.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    If you can't join an armed force, you can still serve your country by simply being a model citizen. Don't need to go fight endless wars overseas to serve. Just be a good guy, help make your local community a better place to live and just be a good, American loving patriotic citizen who fights the good fight for things that are right and true, right here at home.

Well said.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have an almost fist sized sunken spot on my chest its impossible to miss. it doesn't keep me from doing anything in fact i can do more than i could before but they said there is no way i could join. I ain't gonna lie i had tears in my eyes when they said "no" and the Sgt. with whom i had become friends with teared up too. The bright side is several leos i have talked to said i may be able to apply for LE positions when of age.
    . Why not try out for the fire department? Or go work for a private ambulance service as an emt? Fire department or police will pay better though. I just suggest the emt route that way you can get training and a job NOW at your age that will be applicable once your 21 and can become a police officer. There are also many civilian govt jobs you could try for. Sorry you can't join the military. But don't let it stop you from being successful. I believe everything happens for a reason and it destined to be. With your positive attitude and desire to serve in something bigger than yourself I'm sure you'll go far! Man I wish I could be 19 again. You have so many great things to look forward to!

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I would contact your local VFW and offer your services as a volunteer to a military family. Many families need big brothers / big sisters.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Isn't that DHS's definition of a potential terrorist now?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    One thing is don't believe everything a recruiter tells you. I don't know what your surgery was but often they will just tell you some BS so they don't have to deal with any extra paperwork enlisting you might bring. As the military starts to downsize they can meet goals much easier now than when more troops are needed.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    a lot of the recruiters i have dealt with are the kind that will lie about anything and everything to get you to join "if you join you can be a navy seal PJ rescue diver member of the delta force battalion of the army" type lies so when they told me I cant join i believed them but still sought more input. The recruiter with whom i became friends with was one that would tell the truth (pretty rare species of recruiter) and one that i trusted 150% said the the same as did my doctor who was in the military and whose job it was to decide this stuff. I have considered being an EMT but i put off driving as long as i could so i still have to drive with a permit and the EMT class I want to take requires a drivers license so i have to wait for that. As for being a good citizen and serving that way i try my hardest i have volunteered with my old HS and have obtained a sub permit to try and help that way as well. Its cool being able to talk to folks that understand the desire to serve when in HS i was weird because of it lol

Top Bottom