• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    NFL when every hard hit was legal and cheered.
    Trading ethnic and racial barbs amongst friends of all races and everyone enjoying it.
    Comedy.
    Not knowing other people’s politics and not caring.
    Steering the car while sitting on dad’s lap after lighting his smoke for him.
    Watching cable TV with no ads.
    Watching any TV without ads for lawyers and drugs.
    Getting sent outside for a stick

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Trading ethnic and racial barbs amongst friends of all races and everyone enjoying it.

This right here.

I was just talking about this with a business associate. Back in high school I would walk up to my buddys and say "Whats up f*g". It was never meant as anything derogatory, it was just a way of saying "whats up". Now, not only can I not say the word without being slammed, I do not want to type it with fear of offending someone. :dunno:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We no longer have a "break" from politics between elections.
    24/7/365 politics on 100 channels.

You win the internet.

Johnny Carson, National Anthem, Color bars

You always have to go there, don't you?

Rebuild an alternator for $12.50 parts.

Replace a starter solenoid for $9.25.

Rebuild a Master Cylinder.

Set points.

Gap spark plugs.

Remove, patch and replace a tire with tire irons

Did I forget the purple above?

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Whittling. My grandfather used to whittle and it was fascinating watching him turn a piece of wood into something.

Funny you mentioned this. I gave( or sold for a penny) 3 of my grandsons 12-14 years old some pocket knives last weekend. They sat on the front porch whittling for a few hours. Told them a story about my grandpa in Tennessee whittling with his buddies in front of the court house everyday.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The attendant pumping your gas, washing the windows, checking your fluids. I was freaked out in Oregon when I went to a gas station and this crackhead looking derelict approached my car from behind. I found out OR requires a station employee to pump your gas.

Well we can’t have mere amateurs pumping explosive liquids, it requires a professional.

Was he smoking? Unintended consequences, they make smoking inside illegal so all of the gas station cashiers smoke outside by the gas pumps. Just saw it this weekend.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    snapping green beans

making lye soap

churning butter

bringing cool stuff home from the dump

letting off the gas so your vacuum wipers would work faster

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Going out back to get a switch so your parents could wear it out on your ass. You better not bring back a little one or a big one. They're going to beat your ass all the way out to find "the one".

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    The "Adult" section in the back room of video stores where you could sneak back to as a kid and see your principal renting some of Ron Jeremy's latest hi-jinx. And perhaps even see a boob or two. Score!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I think somebody said punchcards already, but I’ll say it again anyway. Punchcards. And card decks, Marked up with diagonal lines from colored markers.

At IU we ... er, some guys I heard about… would empty the chip box (the little container that collected the tiny punched-out rectangles of punch cards) into a paper bag and take it back to the dorm. We‘d ... er, those guys would puff up the bag then close the mouth and slide it under the target’s dorm room door. Stomp on it and it would blow the little chips all over the dorm room. Since pretty much everybody had a shag rug on the floor, the occupants would never get rid of all the chips, there’s always be dozens or hundreds caught in the shag. Good times, good times.

Oh, and having a single landline phone in the middle of the house and having to run in from outdoors to answer when it rang. Getting yelled at because I was stretching the handset cord around the corner so parents couldn't hear the conversation. Picking up the handset to make a call and finding out there were other people on the line and I had to wait until their conversations over to make my call.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    At IU we ... er, some guys I heard about… would empty the chip box (the little container that collected the tiny punched-out rectangles of punch cards) into a paper bag and take it back to the dorm. We‘d ... er, those guys would puff up the bag then close the mouth and slide it under the target’s dorm room door. Stomp on it and it would blow the little chips all over the dorm room. Since pretty much everybody had a shag rug on the floor, the occupants would never get rid of all the chips, there’s always be dozens or hundreds caught in the shag. Good times, good times.
    We'd do that, except it was shaving cream in an album cover.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    You do...but what about the next generation?

I once dismantled a 60x30 foot concrete block wall with a hammer and cold chisel, then chipped the mortar off of every block so they could be reused....but my boss at that time was a bit of a lunatic.

Working for yourself?

I might not be first, have not read all posts yet.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Telephones without buttons or dials. You had to make all calls through an operator. Calls made to your phone had a specific ring pattern and any other ring pattern were for neighbors on your party line.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think somebody said punchcards already, but I’ll say it again anyway. Punchcards. And card decks, Marked up with diagonal lines from colored markers.

Oh, and having a single landline phone in the middle of the house and having to run in from outdoors to answer when it rang. Getting yelled at because I was stretching the handset cord around the corner so parents couldn't hear the conversation. Picking up the handset to make a call and finding out there were other people on the line and I had to wait until their conversations over to make my call.

Punch cards! 80 card columns. I was one of the guys who removed the interpreter (read the cards and converted the info on the cards to data for the mainframe computer) from the Supply computer room at my squadron when punch cards finally became a thing of the past. That thing was HEAVY! It was obsolete as hell but we got our bar-code readers from the lowest bidder and they kept failing. I think that was in 1988.

Top Bottom