• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Is crazy what you hear in gun groups. I recently had a guy say you didn't need sights on a pistol in self defense situations... An admin even threatened to ban me from the group... Lol but I'm like 80grit, I'm abrasive and probably deserve my banning.

I did this as a joke... But it's actually a pretty remarkable set up. And with a can would honestly make a great HD gun. It's extremely well balanced and maneuverable. I think 32rds of 9mm should handle most home invaders. The light usually sits on my coyote or yard defense weapons.

Usduei0.jpg

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I wholeheartedly agree. A WML/laser combo is on my list of upgrades for my G34. I'm surprised at the response you quoted. You have to use reasonable common sense as to the situations you might be presented with in our current environment. Yes, there can be many circumstances we face but the average experience is as you describe: a nighttime home "invasion" that might not be an actual invasion.

I'm probably not going to be in an open area at night engaging targets with a sidearm where I'm going to be worried about giving my position away. I'm more likely going to be in a confined space where flicking a bright light on while on target will actually offer me the advantage of both identifying said target and catching them off guard or blinding them to some degree.

And this is from someone who literally has no tactical experience beyond what my own reasoning ability tells me is common sense.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Is crazy what you hear in gun groups. I recently had a guy say you didn't need sights on a pistol in self defense situations... An admin even threatened to ban me from the group... Lol but I'm like 80grit, I'm abrasive and probably deserve my banning.

I did this as a joke... But it's actually a pretty remarkable set up. And with a can would honestly make a great HD gun. It's extremely well balanced and maneuverable. I think 32rds of 9mm should handle most home invaders. The light usually sits on my coyote or yard defense weapons.

Usduei0.jpg

He’s probably right. Most encounters are within bad breath distances and sights aren’t going to come into play.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    He’s probably right. Most encounters are within bad breath distances and sights aren’t going to come into play.

I know very few people who can draw, and land effective hits on a silhouette at 10 yards without aiming. There are plenty of 15 yard lanes in most average convenience stores. Most self defense shootings are in populated areas, a miss could be a manslaughter charge. Only excuse not to aim is of they are hands on.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I know very few people who can draw, and land effective hits on a silhouette at 10 yards without aiming. There are plenty of 15 yard lanes in most average convenience stores. Most self defense shootings are in populated areas, a miss could be a manslaughter charge. Only excuse not to aim is of they are hands on.

Im not saying you shouldn’t have sights on your pistol. I’m just saying you’re not likely to use them.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Im not saying you shouldn’t have sights on your pistol. I’m just saying you’re not likely to use them.

I have to disagree that you're not likely to use sights in a self-defense encounter, particularly if you're managing unknown contacts correctly. Controlling distance is critical in a self-defense scenario, so even if an altercation starts at contact distance, your priority should be to open up distance if the plan is to get your gun in the fight.

Sure, there are scenarios where you may be within arms reach and won't need to use sights. In those cases, shooting from retention is paramount and you'd better be able to score hits right after clearing the holster or from a high pectoral retention position. But looking through the sights happens pretty frequently in self-defense shootings, especially after the attacker has been put down. You need to practice to access the threat(s) through the sights so you can get good follow up shots if the attacker isn't out of the fight.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I believe lights are very important I also think they are often misused.
    1. Keep your light use short
    2. Keep the light off until needed it takes a short burst of light just a quick on and off to check a room or area
    3. After you use the light “move” if you stay on the “X” after using the light you become a projectile magnet
    4. Move in a unpredictable manner change direction after using the light
    5. Be aware that a opponent may fire wildly after you light them up be decisive Light on, ID, Fire, Light Off, Move

I could go on but you guy’s get the idea!
    A light with no training in how to use the light can make you a dead good guy/sheep puppy!

#5 just made me think... granted I dont have a wml on my HD guns. My apartment is small and well lit outside and in. But, common sense dictates that if approaching an intruder, youd be coming from the direction your family is also sleeping in.. then again, the what if game is huge in this scenario. :dunno:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Even worse that not being able to see in the dark... getting so scared you shoot through a door.
    Not exactly knowing your target, and what's beyond.
    Wow, that is really sad. I can't imagine shooting blindly through a door unless it was possibly returning fire. Even then I probably wouldn't.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It is rare for me to be out after dark, so I don’t worry about having a light on my carry gun, although I do keep a flashlight in the vehicle, but I have one on my bedside pistol along with a separate flashlight. The bedside AR has a red dot and a flashlight also.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    My EDC has a light, along with 3 ARs and two other pistols. I also carry a small flashlight.
    Important detail: all of the lights have switches. I can use them or not.

Top Bottom