• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    EVERY defensive gun needs a mounted light.

I'm guessing that's your 'opinion'...which of course, isn't fact!
    I trained with a hand-held light...I prefer a hand-held light...a hand-held light works just fine for me!
    To each their own...it's all about how you train...if it works for you, by all means do what you're most comfortable with!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I trained with a hand-held light...I prefer a hand-held light...a hand-held light works just fine for me!
    To each their own...it's all about how you train...if it works for you, by all means do what you're most comfortable with!
    How do you manipulate other things, while still keeping your pistol in hand? For instance, opening a door, moving a person out of the way, or if you need to carry something, all while still needing your firearm presented, or at low ready? Both is the optimal answer, but I guess not for everyone. I’m back and forth with mounted lights, even though I own an entire stable of X300’s, I only carry one part of the time. All my ARs wear lights, but the Benelli is sans light as I’ve had function issues in the past.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

It's my opinion, yes, but it's also fact. Maybe not "needs" but is "way more effective" with a light. Hand held lights are also important. (I carry both every day) The well prepared will have one of these as well. "Two is one, one is none" comes to mind, but also they are for different uses. Yes, there are many more times you need a light, than a weapon, and you don't need to be drawing your weapon just to use a light.

Thing is, if you ever do need that weapon, chances are you'll need a light for it too. Whereas using one hand for the light, will decrease your effectiveness with the weapon, having it on the weapon itself, increases it's effectiveness.

That is why I say "Every defensive gun needs a light." To not have one is foolish, and could leave you without the most effective tool at the time you need it most.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I carry an olight SR3 baton along with a surefire XC1-B on my EDC. I went with the XC1 because of the beam type and size, it provides good contrast for a red dot. If I need more horsepower I can fall back to my olight which is driving 1000 lumens.

l6NWYNA.jpg

YjFb2kw.jpg

I really wouldn't go back to carrying a gun without a light unless I was forced into very deep concealment. I'm of the mindset anymore that there's a 100% chance of darkness at night, and every bullet I fire I am responsible for. I want to know what I am shooting at before I pull the trigger, and a light is absolutely necessary to use a gun responsibly at night.

As for people concerned with pointing a gun with a WML light at people, use your head... Point it at the ceiling or at a wall, you will get spill to identify what is going on without having to actually point a gun at the person. If you're carrying a light in addition to a WML you are provided with many many different options, which is the most ideal situation.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I parted with the G34 that the X300 used to live on. I've since picked up the habit of keeping the X300 near the bed headboard. I clip it on to the G19 when it gets dark and clip it off in the morning.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It is rare for me to be out after dark, so I don’t worry about having a light on my carry gun, although I do keep a flashlight in the vehicle, but I have one on my bedside pistol along with a separate flashlight. The bedside AR has a red dot and a flashlight also.

I do the same. There’s a TLR 1 on the nightstand gun as well as on the AR pistol next to the nightstand. I will not shoot at shadows or noises.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    It seems that many who are against WMLs or handhelds are ignorant of the proper use of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m going to try that technique he did at the end. Looks much better than my current one of pistol on top of the light bearing hand.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree, use both. The technique illustrated at the end of this video is something I’ve been playing with and really like. I just rigged up a loop of 550 cord on my handheld and it works really well. Still have the wml to shoot with.

https://youtu.be/uYkKlOSHMgo

There are some interesting bits in that video. Kyle Lamb is definitely a subject matter expert.

Which is why what he says at 00:49 is so disappointing. Aside from the fact that a jaw/neck/temple/top of the head index is one of the most effective ways of shooting with a handheld light that is advocated by a number of equally qualified subject matter experts, it's absurd to specifically mention "get shot in the face" when doing it. Look at where the light is using every (every) technique he advocates. Hint: it's in front of his face. I submit that you're no more likely to be shot in the face using a head index than you are with any technique where you shoot with the both hands in contact with the gun because the light is in front of your face.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Switch to shooting from the hip... but I don't want to get shot there either.

Maybe take a friend that isn't that close. Get in a firefight and toss him the light. You can see and he becomes a bullet magnet.

Top Bottom