Weapon type for dedicated home protection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    With young kids I really suggest getting a lock box or lock of some type. Hoping the kid can't figure out/is not strong enough to chamber a round is pretty dicey. Remember, it's not just your kids either, but any neighbor kid, family kid or random street urchin that happens to be in the house.

I read too many horror stories about some kid showing his cousin dad's gun that dad keeps under the mattress. When your kids get old enough, teach them firearm use and safety.

That said, if I were in your situation, I would strongly consider a defensive handgun and gun vault.

I completely agree....the hope of them not figuring out how to chamber/fire isnt safe enough.... As soon as they are old enough to understand (currently a 5 year old and 11 month old girls) I will definitley teach them safety. Right now, I dont keep anything unsecured and loaded around the house. I also teach "dont touch" but you know how that works! Dont tough means "its cool, probably should play with it!"

Bring Back HEE HAW! ---- Love this! They do air re-runs on the farmers network on Directv! I am not sure they have the characters they had back in the day (Minnie Pearl, Papa Jones, Buck Owens, Roy Clark, etc..) to pull it off in this day and age! Great show for sure. I am a big Hank Williams Jr. fan and it is interesting to see him on there so young...

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I did just get my LTCH so I do have this ability. I am not actively carrying yet because I do feel I need to practice and train more before putting the public at risk. I feel if I carry right now with the little amount of education and practive I have, I would probably make a bad situation worse! I am just looking for an option to keep bedside or in a hidden spot as others have mentioned. My wife is all for taking some training classes with me but doesnt want to carry. A weapon I could leave at home (something we both would be proficient with) would also give her the ability to grab it if needed when I am not home.
    Although, her with a gun and mad at me is a scary thought! :ar15:

For keeping it at home, perhaps install one of these on the back of a night stand or similar area in which to hide your gun

Welcome

qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    For keeping it at home, perhaps install one of these on the back of a night stand or similar area in which to hide your gun

Welcome

That is definitely an interesting invention.

My 11 month old would find that in a hearbeat as she is at the right size to find it so that make it a little risky. She gets places I wouldnt have dreamed she could get! Amazing what happens when they learn to crawl!

Thank you for the suggestion...would work really well for a kid free (or older kid) household!

qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    I wouldn't keep a handgun in anything that is in reach of one of your kids. Either keep it on you in a holster, or get one of these:

MV500-STD - MIcrovault | GunVault | GunVault

or one of these if you have the money:

MVB1000 | Gunvault | GunVault

Anyone had any experience with these? With the biometrics, that could be a perfect thing to put in the nightstand! I am sure you would have to do yearly battery checks/replacements to keep everything working correctly when need but that minimal maintanence! You could easily put your hand on the vault vs. trying to remember a combination or find a key quickly under stress!

Thank for this suggestion...if anyone has any experience with these, are they reliable? I have had computers that are unlocked using biometrics and they were...a little less than desireable!

Thanks again!

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Anyone had any experience with these? With the biometrics, that could be a perfect thing to put in the nightstand! I am sure you would have to do yearly battery checks/replacements to keep everything working correctly when need but that minimal maintanence! You could easily put your hand on the vault vs. trying to remember a combination or find a key quickly under stress!

Thank for this suggestion...if anyone has any experience with these, are they reliable? I have had computers that are unlocked using biometrics and they were...a little less than desireable!

Thanks again!

I've heard good reviews from a few people that own them. You don't have to check the batteries as there is a warning light that comes on when they get low that tells you to replace them. The other good part is that you can store many different fingerprints so you and your wife can access the safe. I like that you don't have to remember a combination at a time where you will most likely be thinking of the intruder in your home instead of remembering a combo.

Keeps the kids safe and allows very quick access as well........

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Like most on here I have a handgun as my primary in as safebox next to the bed, FNP 9 with tac light and a few extra mags. My second is in the safe in the form of a tactical 870 that holds 7+1 with 6 or 7 in the saddle with a tac light also. Again to beat a dead horse practice, practice, practice. Get comfortable with your firearm of choice, loading, reloading, drawing, and create an emergency plan with your family so they know what to do when the time comes.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Since I don't have to worry about kids in the house, I just use my CZ for my daily protection. Also keep a carbine close by just in case I need something quick, but my thinking is a 16 round handgun with two mags is more than enough for most smash and grab idiots that might try to break in.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    You have kids, you only have one main option. A handgun or a shotgun loaded with one in the chamber locked up in something that is quick access. And it be something that your wife can handle when you are not there.
    Both you and your wife need to practice with the weapon to the point it's second nature.
    This can be dry fire practice, but practice non the less.
    Same with your home defense plan, you need to design one and practice it regularly.

Seconds count.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Living safely

YMMV, but: So many answers ... so little time! So from the top, or just before the top: BUY A GUN! FIRST BUY WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD. BEFORE YOU BUY check out your nearest LGSs and ask advice. Buy from the shop -- or INGUN member -- that gives you the best info, and seems interested more in YOU than just selling to you. Your gun-education starts there.
    <snips from here and there:> / \Buy what you can afford; BEAR-spray. Or Wasp Spray. Teach the whole family how to apply it safely. / \ A 9-shot .22 ~ .38 beats a Shotty, in the dark, every time. Think "multiple rounds, minimal muzzle-flash." Choose a revolver that most kids can't shoot. A strong rubber-band makes a great "safety" when strung around the hammer-spur and the front of the frame, yet is easily removed. .22-.38 are less likely to penetrate walls, and those holes are easily spackled. There are few reasons NOT to carry a smallish pistol around the house with you all day. This goes for the spouse also./ \ Have and rehearse your plans before you need to use them. Both day, and night. / \"No neighbors to the rear of the home." Then THAT is where your potential intruders may come from, more undetected. /\"Clearing" your house with gun-in-hand should be practiced, day and night scenarios. Try doing it every time you come home from a trip to town. Carry your weapon in an upright, ready-to-chop fashion. Anyone grabbing a shotty will be grabbing a tube full of ØØØØ & wads as they assault you. / \ Don't watch Hawaii 5-OH types of shows, and don't learn bad habits. Avoid sun-gasses at night./ \Use up at least one box of shells a week in the right places (I am 12 boxes behind as of this writing.)/ \Teaching pre-school children to shoot is your philosophy, not mine. But I have found that home-schooled kids get wiser to the wisdom of their parents far more quickly than gubmint-raised chirrunz seem to./ \ There was someone here on INGUN who works in wood. He can make a nice picture-frame for you, built to conceal any hand-gun. Get one to fit a large-frame pistol, and it will also work on smaller guns. / \If you worry about kids chambering a live round, then keep a fired, partially distorted round or a snap-cap in the chamber. Even if a kid does eject it, it may give a child enough pause -- "Oh, Daddy's gonna hate that I just broke the gun!" -- to prevent an accident. / \ Turning 'on' a flashlight shows exactly where you are, unless it's 'blinder' style. But lasers are still quite intimidating./ \ I have installed several standard-caliber wooden dowels in strategic spots around the house -- inside the door-jambs of closets, under the bath-room vanity cabinet, under the sink, under the bar-counter, on the backs of doors where clothing usually gets hung, beside both sides of our garage-door, and entrance-door, etc. -- all at heights above a kid's reach. No, there is not a weapon there all the time, but when I am around, there IS a weapon. No, why should I be paranoid? I'M the one with the gun! / \ Just some of my habits and ideas. EBG

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Make friends at the local range, rent a couple of handguns, then read some more reviews. The shotgun issue isn't bad if you can hunt, or have a farm needing such.
    A locking box is a must for kids in the house. Most gun cases can be secured also, and I would pick up a bike cable and loop it around a pipe, beam, post etc.

I have 2 sons in my home. One is older, college age and is into that. My second son likes videos and is a fifth grader. He is a major concern due to young age. Yes, I have attempted training to both about firearms safety. Still use the lockbox. Good luck.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm amazed at all the talk around hoping that children don't find it, aren't strong enough chamber a round, etc... to prevent a child from causing an ND. If you have children and the weapon will be in the house without you around, get a small safe of some sort and utilize it. Never hope that it can't be found and used. Second, keep your weapon loaded and ready to fire. Simplicity is what you want in a stressful situation. My personal defense weapon is always in condition one. I expect to only have to put the sights on target and pull the trigger if needed. Keeping the weapon in condition one is personal preference and goes along with all the statements of becoming very familiar with your weapon but please make sure it is locked up if you will not be able to ensure that little ones can't get a hold of it.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    home defense weapon......... In my 25+ years of home ownership in several different communities I personally never felt me, my family or my home were ever in a threatening situation or ever in a situation that protection via deadly force would be required.......
    I assume good awareness of my "area to protect" and rely more on passive security including good lighting, locks, a dog, etc. Minimize the opportunity, lock your stuff up, install an automatic light outside, connect a few cheapo cameras to your computer, etc, etc. We've been in this house 10 years or so, each of us know how to get from one end to other, basement to upper level and back, in the dark -0- lighting with minimal bumping into walls or doors - who else knows my house as good as me? and who can come into my house or make noise outside of it without my stirring up my dogs? ok, ok maybe a few can but the average dip$#!t petty thief - I don't think so & by the time it would take me to wake up, unlock, load and make approach.......said dip$#!t would be / should be gone. Most homes have several "weapons" that I would be and anyone else in my house would be most comfortable using such as those made by Wilson, easton, Louisville slugger & AT&T.

Even though everyone in my family - me, my wife, & both kids have gone through safe gun handling class, NRA cc class, tactical training, and shoot fairly regularly throughout the year, (including competitive archery) I would not assume my wife or my children (now 21 & 18) would be comfortable in a situation that would require them to use a firearm for protection........

bottom line most average Joe neighbor w/ wife and kids would not know what to do or how to handle an intrusion, so have a plan, get some training , get prepared and practice it, regularly. Obviously the best offense is the best defense.

As far as which gun is best, you might as well ask what car to buy next, or which TV to buy, there are so many options, so many choices, so many discussions, and a lot more decisions than you think your research will turn into paralysis by analysis.

all that said - a loaded revolver always goes bang when you pull the trigger and if for some odd reason it doesn't, pull it again.

good luck

Midskier

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I am tempted to say AR-15, with the right 5.56 ammo, over pistol or shotgun, for reasons I'll lay out below. However, I have been witness to the fact that even a site full of AR enthusiasts cannot, in the face of irrefutable evidence, come to a consensus.

- small size, light weight (vs. shotgun)
    - minimal recoil (vs. shotgun)
    - reliable DGI action (vs. shotgun or pistol)
    - ability to put hits on a target (vs. pistol)
    - magazine capacity (vs. shotgun or pistol)
    - simple controls (vs. shotgun)
    - adjustable/customizable ergonomics
    - terminal performance (vs. pistol or shotgun)
    - reduced overpenetration, due to fragmentation velocity (vs. pistol, shotgun, or rifle of another caliber)

If all this stuff has already been said, consider this an affirmation of that opinion. I refuse to read through eight pages of, "the sound of a pump shotgun will scare off an intruder".

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    Taurus judge; pros
    Small & handy compared to long guns
    Shoots a wide verity of ammo in 410 and in 45lc
    Great little cqb pistol
    Cons
    Only 5 shots

Give this a look.

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    tl;dr
    I am tempted to say AR-15, with the right 5.56 ammo, over pistol or shotgun, for reasons I'll lay out below. However, I have been witness to the fact that even a site full of AR enthusiasts cannot, in the face of irrefutable evidence, come to a consensus.

- small size, light weight (vs. shotgun)
    - minimal recoil (vs. shotgun)
    - reliable DGI action (vs. shotgun or pistol)
    - ability to put hits on a target (vs. pistol)
    - magazine capacity (vs. shotgun or pistol)
    - simple controls (vs. shotgun)
    - adjustable/customizable ergonomics
    - terminal performance (vs. pistol or shotgun)
    - reduced overpenetration, due to fragmentation velocity (vs. pistol, shotgun, or rifle of another caliber)

If all this stuff has already been said, consider this an affirmation of that opinion. I refuse to read through eight pages of, "the sound of a pump shotgun will scare off an intruder".

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy

You must have the attention span of a gnat.

After paging back, and reading responses, I came back to remove my post. Since you saw fit to quote it, instead of read it, I'll leave it be.

Kind of embarrassed to have posted in this thread.

ETA: No surprise that I didn't make it in before Taurus Judge, but wow, I even got beat by "archery"!!!

qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    Great info! I am very thankful to have a community that is willing to voice their opinions on what they would choose with the parameters I have at home.

I didn’t start this thread to pit one against the other or ruffle feathers. Merely to get opinions from individuals more educated and experienced than myself. With than being said, I respect everyone’s opinion and believe that there are probably no wrong answer as long as you educate, train, and practice. Safety is very important in my living conditions and believe this is first and foremost!

I love the biometrics vault idea posted in this thread which has the ability to store multiple users prints (me and my wife) for quick access to a loaded handgun. It can be tethered to something making it more difficult to move and very hard to gain access to for little ones. This will allow me to get a weapon my wife and I are both comfortable with and keep it locked in the house but ready at all times. I will use this weapon as a means of providing safe movement from point A to designated safe point B. At designated safe point B, I could keep an unloaded weapon (shotgun? AR?..endless possibilites) that could be loaded quickly and brought into the mix.

Couple these weapons with a plan and I believe it would provide a means to get to a safeplace making it difficult for novice intruders to harm anyone. I guess in asking what is the"best", was not an accurate was of presenting my question. In reading everyone’s post, it seems everything is situational and preferential. Meaning, depends on the situation and depends on what the user isc omfortable shooting! There isnt really a "best."

I have definitely gained great knowledge from each and every post in this thread. I would like to thank you all for participating and look forward to speaking with you in the future. I would love to meet many of the members of this community and am honored to be here.

Regards
    Jason

:ingo:

Top Bottom