• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Whichever light you get, it should have a set-up for a dedicated momentary light switch. The only thing it should do is turn the light on when you apply pressure, turn the light off when you release. No tap once for low lumens, twice for high, three times for strobe or any of that crap. The Inforce WML is good, and has a nifty manual "safety" for when you want to make sure you don't accidently activate the light.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    oh yes, asking what light to buy is like asking what everyone likes on their pizza :)

All perfectly fine suggestions in previous posts. If it helps, here's what's selling well in the weapon mountable category.

1. Fenix PD35 - Fenix PD35

2. Fenix TK 16 - Fenix TK16 as a kit with a battery/charger - Fenix TK16 with Battery and Charger

3. Streamlight TLR-1 HL - Streamlight TLR-1 HL

4. Elzetta Bravo 2 cell - Elzetta Bravo 2-cell 650 lumen High/Low Standard Head

5. Surefire X300 - Surefire X300 Ultra

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Whichever light you get, it should have a set-up for a dedicated momentary light switch. The only thing it should do is turn the light on when you apply pressure, turn the light off when you release. No tap once for low lumens, twice for high, three times for strobe or any of that crap. The Inforce WML is good, and has a nifty manual "safety" for when you want to make sure you don't accidently activate the light.

This is sage advice, I'd certainly heed it. Any "tactical" application light should be a momentary switch, clicky switches with multiple modes suck, and you will undoubtedly lose some fine motor skills (required to quickly press a switch three times to get to the right mode) under stress.

I have a clicky tail cap on a streamlight stylus pro I use for work, but everything else is a surefire with a momentary switch for that very reason.

I have a friend who has a lot of good things to say about Inforce lights also, but I have no personal experience with them.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    A Surefire X300U should work they are not too expensive and will last forever. I run a 300U on my 1911 and it is bright as hell, and at the ranges you specify it will really excel IMHO.

Flonjowers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Avon
    I like Inforce lights myself, but also have a tlr with the pressure switch, has worked well for me. Like some of the others have said though the surefire lights are pretty good, super bright, but you'll pay for it.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Are you talking about the primarily pistol-mounted light (tlr-1)? I saw a guy from another agency running one on an AR, and I started to laugh, and then I was like "hey, why wouldn't that work?"

No reason why it wouldn't work. It won't light up a coyote at 500 yards, but a short ranges TLR1, X300, etc work just fine. Personally, I have a Surefire E2D on my AR but I know several people with TLR1s etc on an AR for a close range "tactical" light.

jhelm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 4, 2015
    Washington
    I purchased a used surefire scout at the 1500 gun show and am afraid it's a clone...does anyone know how to tell the real deal from a copy. From the pics I seen of known real surefire lights I can't see any difference...thanks

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I purchased a used surefire scout at the 1500 gun show and am afraid it's a clone...does anyone know how to tell the real deal from a copy. From the pics I seen of known real surefire lights I can't see any difference...thanks

Does it have a serial number? It should.

it should have a tir lens of its LED. If it's not LED, it should a Surefire lamp in it.....

Top Bottom