• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I've only had my XDS about two months now & I have to admit that the dealers that I spoke with before I finally did buy were right! They said that my carry gun will get all kinds of nicks & scratches since I wear it all the time. Has anyone else noticed that or am I really just rough on my first firearm?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    They are tools, built o last a lifetime! Pride of ownership is a good thing, but any tool that was used will show it! They say wear and scratches on a gun are badges of honor, like a broken nose from a good fight!,

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    You can keep your bent nose! I would think that unless you just want to change your firearm then there's no need otherwise, no matter what it might look like. Kinda like growing old in marriage. Hold onto what works.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Get the first ones out of the way quick so that it doesn't bother you anymore. Then you can go train, train, train with that firearm without caring that you may knock it against something learning how to use it as best as you possibly can.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Never trust a pristine carry-gun, or a tool you've never used.

409775619.jpg

409775618.jpg

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My daily carry 1911 has holster wear, scratches, chips, and dings on it. I was going to have AllenM cerakote it for me but that takes away all the character. I train with it as much as I do the 1911's I shoot USPSA matches with.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Ok not that it pertains to this thread but what do the little marks mean under our handle names ?
    As chezuki noted, rep pyramid.

Fairly meaningless. I had as many 'stars & bars' as could be had, was gone from INGO for a while, and it all disappeared. So, I just have whatever I currently have. No matter.

You'll soon determine for yourself who has 'been there / done that' and will separate the 'tactician' from the 'theoretician'. :yesway:

Don't worry much about wear / use marks. Just means you're practicing with it, carrying it, and hopefully never have a need to actually utilize it in a battle scenario.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My Glock 17 made in May of 98 shows plenty of wear. Still runs like a champ. I use my guns. Wear doesn't bother me as long as it goes bang when I pull the trigger.

My Rem 870 and AR have the most wear. I mean bare metal showing in places. When I sling it they bounce off my wheelchair footplate and knock it around.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Make sure you have a good holster (not a flimsy vinyl uncle mikes) that keeps you gun in it unless you want it out. A proper gun belt is also a very good idea.

Personally, most of my EDC guns have been bought used so the personality mark are already on them. But even the scratches and dings on my non EDC guns mean they are being used and not just sitting in my safe.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Well this all makes me feel better. I thought I was being overly rough (or clumsy) with my firearm. I doubt I would have a need to sell it but it sounds like a smart buyer will know that it was used, not abused.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As chezuki noted, rep pyramid.

Fairly meaningless. I had as many 'stars & bars' as could be had, was gone from INGO for a while, and it all disappeared. So, I just have whatever I currently have. No matter.

You'll soon determine for yourself who has 'been there / done that' and will separate the 'tactician' from the 'theoretician'. :yesway:

1st...got "All" my rep the right way.

2nd...Patina OP. Patina is character. I have an EDC 1911 that is rough. It is rough because it gets carried. I also have others in different finishes so they always match my shoes when dressing up.......:)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I miss my gold star. Got it then turned the rep off.

Yeah don't carry a gun you intend to keep as a collectors piece. XD, Glock and M&P will never be collectible. I was actually admiring some of the nicks and finish wear on my pistols the other day.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My EDC guns look like they've been run through a conveyor belt full of large nuts and bolts. I trust my edc guns with my life. They're like dependable OLD friends. They'll be there for you not only in good times but when times get rough.
    Take pride in "carry signatures" and feel good about them.
    I have some beautiful guns but they're protected, packed, and only taken out to show off.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Rep. But things like the "Rep Pyramid" have made it meaningless. Also, don't listen to anyone unless they have a ton of it. :)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners-faqs-sticky.html#post762873

This. I had tons and tons of rep all earned the hard way, until they changed the rep system and deleted it all. Now I take part in the rep pyramids just to thumb my nose at the rep system.

As others have said, if it's a user coat it or don't-personal preference. If it's collectible, don't.

Top Bottom