• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    We have a weed (vine) growing in our flower beds in our front yard. I'm not sure what it is or how to get rid of it without killing the little woman's flowers and shrubs.

This weed wraps itself around everything and has now spread to a flower bed on the side of the house. :xmad:

Any help in identifying it and informing me of the best weed killer that won't harm the things that are supposed to be there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you have.

Z123.jpg

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Try going to a lawn and garden center and look for broad leaf weed killer get the concentrated stuff so you can mix it yourself, I'm not too sure what the exact technical name for it is. Its a dark brown liquid and smells funny.

My dads owns his own lawn and landscaping business and he uses that stuff to kill dandelions and stuff like that with out harming the rest of the lawn.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I agree... Looks like morning glory. If it's all in your flower beds or what-not, a little elbow grease maybe the safest way to rid yourself of it without killing everything else. You'll never untangle all those tindrals (sp?) though.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Thats morning glory allright. Good luck selectively killing it easily without killing everything else. Your best bet is the old fashioned way. Pull that stuff out by hand.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    The stuff my dad uses is called Surge and it's made by Gordon's ProForm. But I'm sure any brand would work just as well. Its kind of pricey, $130 for 2.5 gallons of the concentrated stuff you have to mix yourself

Hope it helps

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Oh, that kind of weed. I was thinking the other kind. I had a college roommate that could have told you anything you would have needed to know. :)

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I know that crap. Yes it is a variety of morning glory and it is VERY invasive. I've been doing battle with it for 4 years in my yard. It does not have the same root system as most weeds (not a single tap, has multiple tap roots). I have not found a weed killer that will take it out without killing everything else in the bed. I pretty much rip it out as fast as I can.

Problem is, my neighbors like it so they let it go to seed. So it's back EVERY year.

Good luck

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Was anyone else bummed out when they opened this thread? I was excited to break out my Dr. Greenthumb skeelz.

P.S You can trip from Morning Glory seeds.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Morning Glory seeds are hallucinogens. I suggest you get rid of them ASAP or you'll get a visit from some of your buds.

You can buy the seeds from any place that sells garden supplies - I don't think they're 'classified' as a drug, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, it's not a very pleasant trip, lots of sweating and nausea.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Try going to a lawn and garden center and look for broad leaf weed killer get the concentrated stuff so you can mix it yourself, I'm not too sure what the exact technical name for it is. Its a dark brown liquid and smells funny.

My dads owns his own lawn and landscaping business and he uses that stuff to kill dandelions and stuff like that with out harming the rest of the lawn.
    Very bad advice... please don't recommend things that you're not educated on.

Broadleaf weedkillers will kill just about any plant with a broad leaf. He doesn't want to kill his wife's flowers and ornamental plants, I'm certain a broadleaf weed killer will do just that.

The only option you really have is this.

Pull the ones that are growing on or near desirable plants, and spot-spray those that aren't near desirable plants.

I've found that after a constant battle with it for a year or two following the above procedure will eventually kill it back.

The problem with morning glory is that the root is extremely hard to get by pulling, so when you pull, it will most likely come back. However, spraying should kill the plant systemically (it shouldn't come back because the whole plant is dead).

So spray it if you can, otherwise pull what can't be safely sprayed.

I use Round-up to spot spray weeds, there really isn't a reason to use anything else when spot-spraying.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Very bad advice... please don't recommend things that you're not educated on.

Broadleaf weedkillers will kill just about any plant with a broad leaf. He doesn't want to kill his wife's flowers and ornamental plants, I'm certain a broadleaf weed killer will do just that.

The only option you really have is this.

Pull the ones that are growing on or near desirable plants, and spot-spray those that aren't near desirable plants.

I've found that after a constant battle with it for a year or two following the above procedure will eventually kill it back.

The problem with morning glory is that the root is extremely hard to get by pulling, so when you pull, it will most likely come back. However, spraying should kill the plant systemically (it shouldn't come back because the whole plant is dead).

So spray it if you can, otherwise pull what can't be safely sprayed.

I use Round-up to spot spray weeds, there really isn't a reason to use anything else when spot-spraying.

Uneducated huh? That's a new one for me. I've been applying the stuff for the past 8 summers working at a lawn and landscaping business. There are types and brands that are specifically formulated to target and kill morning glory or other types of weeds. You should do a little research before shooting down someones suggestions.

Weed killer Application chart
    #363 Triple
    Selective Herbicide

This is designed to knock out morning glory,

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Uneducated huh? That's a new one for me. I've been applying the stuff for the past 8 summers working at a lawn and landscaping business. There are types and brands that are specifically formulated to target and kill morning glory or other types of weeds. You should do a little research before shooting down someones suggestions.

Weed killer Application chart
    #363 Triple
    Selective Herbicide

This is designed to knock out morning glory,
    The issue is not about killing the weed he is trying to kill, the problem is that the product you recommended will also kill the plants he is trying not to kill. To recommend an herbicide such as that and not provide any type of specific precautions regarding that fact is just stupid.

Now, had you posted something similar to mine, in which you stated to only apply the chemical to target plants then it would have been acceptable by me, but to just openly recommend it as if it were a broadcast herbicide is a bad idea.

No need to worry about my education level on herbicide/pesticide use, I'm licensed by the Office of the Indiana State Chemist as a private applicator which includes the license to purchase and buy restricted use pesticides. The testing and classes that you have to attend to maintain your license keep me very well educated on the subject. ;)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you apply the weed killer to the leaves using a brush that will selectively kill the plant. That's the best way I've found so far.

I use this method to kill dandy lions in my flower garden.

Top Bottom