• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joeyidgaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Indiana
    I just bought this funny looking nylon stock Remington 66. Does anyone have experience with these. More history, age, purpose, or anything else you can offer. Thanks

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The "Nylon 66" was a really popular rifle in the 1960's It was not the first composite stock long gun, but it was probably the best selling. Good Dependable firearm. I have only ever seen a green one and a brown one. I am told they had other colors also.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    In 1970 or so, I owned two. One was magazine fed and the other was tube fed through the buttstock. The tube fed was reliable, the magazine fed was not.

I don't know where they went, through a divorce and lots of living. At some point, I missed them and waxed nostalgic about them

A friend has tube fed and we went out and shot it at 25 yards last fall.

I no longer miss them. Absolutely horrible groups compared to a 10-22. Horrible trigger too.

Just my thoughts on the Nylon 66.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    First rifle I bought (1980) was a Nylon 66. Decent accuracy, fairly reliable, and cheap (at the time) to buy. I think these were intended to be a beginner's/intermediate rifle more than anything. Would I buy another one if it was available at a decent price? In a heartbeat!

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    The Nylon 66 is my favorite plinking rifle. I've got a great one, shoots as good at the 10-22 I have, although just may be my experience.

Here's a great website with all the information you'd ever want on the Nylon rifles.

NylonRifles.com

Bk

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    They made a bunch of these...not uncommon at all. You just don't see many for sale because people who have them like them.

As a historical side note Tom Frye kinda broke Ad Topperwein's record of shooting at more than 72,000 hand thrown blocks 2½ inches in diameter, and missing only nine—his longest run without a miss was 14,540. Frye shot at 100,010 and hit 100,004 but his blocks were thrown from behind in a straight line going away from him...much easier than Topperwein whose blocks were thrown at a 90 degree angle making every shoot a crossing shot.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    My brother had one when they were newly introduced ,it was his favorite rifle until some schmoe stole it out of his car .We had home movies of him pooping off cans at 20 yds with it ,it never jammed & was fairly accurate

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My brother had one when they were newly introduced ,it was his favorite rifle until some schmoe stole it out of his car .We had home movies of him pooping off cans at 20 yds with it ,it never jammed & was fairly accurate

Pooping off cans? :lmfao:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If you are interested in the history of them there is a lot....they really revolutionized the way guns were manufactured. For all intensive purposes the entire receiver was plastic...this made for cheap materials, and a durable product. They actually started wrapping the top of the receiver in a piece of stamp metal just to get them to sell....it serves no purpose other than helping it not look like a toy!!! Up until that point no one hat seen a plastic gun and it was hard to start betting a good reputation looking the way they did....so they wrapped them in metal to make them look more durable.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I have

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I have a

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I have a collection

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I have a collection of

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I have a collection of about

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I have a collection of about 20

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I have a collection of about 20 of

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I have a collection of about 20 of them

Top Bottom