• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I have a collection of about 20 of them in

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are a great little rifle-I shot thousands of rounds thru my first one and it never missed a lick-many different models were made and they are getting very collectable.I have a collection of about 20 of them in their

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I never had one, but those who have say, "NEVER take it apart." Apparently, it doesn't go back together easily.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have heard: "They are a great little rifle.."

Seriously, Accuracy seems to be touch and go in these guns, but I know a lot of Alaskans loved them as subsistence "game getting" guns. They liked the reliabily of the Nyllon 66 and the fact that they ran well with a minimum of cleaning and lube.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    This was the first 22 I ever shot. I used to go to my Grandparents house in TX and hunt Jack Rabbits with it. It was a lot of fun to shoot and was my Grand Dad's favorite rifle. I seen my brother get a Rabbit with it at about 100 yrds.....

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I bought one in the summer of 1960 new for $69. I still have it and have fired thousands and thousands of rounds through it. It shoots and looks as good today as it did the day I purchased it. A great little rifle.

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    some of em can be quite the collectors item. there were several models. some more valuable than others. I believe the most popular was the mohawk. Black nylon. with white( plastic) medalions.. Some of em had spring tension problems after "extended" loaded periods. If I remember right they also had lifetime stock warranties.. great camp gun!

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    They are one of the finest semi autos ever made-dependable and accurate-the stock is guaranteed for life.They are highly collectable now and they also have bolt action models and lever action models.The lever action models are the only lever action gun that Remington ever made.Go shoot it-I know you will really have fun with it.I have about 15 of them in different models.

soupy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Elkhart Co.
    My dad had two nylon 66's when i was a kid. One He got free as a promotion for buying a Mcculloch chainsaw in the early 1960's. My sister has one of them, I don't know what happened to the other.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    To disassemble the Nylon 66 receiver first remove the receiver cover, then push out the pins that pass the the receiver from each side. As you do this, spring loaded parts begin flying across the room and hiding from you. When you find most of the odd looking parts, and realize that you are in way over your head, gather them up and take the whole mess to a good and patient gunsmith. Wait a few months, and you will once again have a complete, functional Nylon 66. That was my experiance, once and a long time ago. Since then I've learned to leave well enough alone, in many respects.
    I have a Black Diamond. I've heard that they are worth a good bit if in good condition. Mine isn't. I've used it for a wading staff, a boat padel, a club, a tent pole (pup tent) ect ect. It has road many miles laying in the bottom of a johnboat and strapped onto a 4-wheeler.
    Just recently it has started to malfunction occasionally. It is full of carbon and grit of all kinds. I will attempt to clean it with little, if any disassembly.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I picked up a very nice "Black Diamond" model a number of years back, mostly from nostalgia. When I was a kid they were very common and highly regarded as all-around working RF's where we lived. As kids we were always happy to get to try out each other's rifles and I got to put a bunch of rounds through several Nylons back then. Always knew that I'd have one of my own, eventually.

Very lightweight, beautifully balanced, extremely rugged, ultra-reliable with good ammo and at least as accurate as anything else we had. Lots of farmers, ranchers and trappers in our neck of the woods swore by them.

If you go to the Remington website and supply your serial number, they'll send you a photocopy of the original manual free. Highly recommended, as it'll show you the right way to go about doing routine cleaning and maintenance. Without one, many folks try to take too much of the action apart and end up like 03A3. Stick to what's recommended, and it's a snap. There's also a nice "exploded" drawing/parts list that'll help you get things back in order, just in case you ever find yourself in over your head.

Once you've tried a Nylon for a while, I think you'll come to like them a lot. I sure do!

Top Bottom