• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Kids will surprise you when you least expect it. They digest information in small chunks and try to fit it into what they previously understand and how it affects in their world. When the do things like ask for books or ask a question that came out of left field they're providing hints on something that interests them.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Water63, Grizman
    You guys are lucky. (but making me believe) ... not sure why my daughter (25) is so anti ... no one else in the family is. ... I keep working to figure out her attitude / where it comes from. ... I didn't really shoot much back when she was younger (its really a 'step' thing I 'step'-ed in when she was 14) ... I figure my grandson (and 2nd grand ??? on the way) will be my 'secret weapons' to coax her to not be so anti when they beg her to go w/ all the rest of us. ... Good Job to both of you! ...

bb3, Have you just had a honest open talk with her? Let her explain her feelings and why she feels the way she does. If her logic is flawed or of base then explain to her why those points are incorrect or of base. Show her some of the daughter threads on here and see if she is open to change. At this stage of her life it may be difficult to see the other side. Do not give up though but don't push to hard. PM inbound.

This can explain any resistance to everything that is about you. I have done this successfully as a parent and now the son I raised is raising 3 step children of his own, I have considerable experience. Being the step parent means opposition in one way or the other just because it is you and what you do. Terry

Thanks for thoughts guys (and PM … a reply will be coming :)). We have a great relationship on most other things (well unless I keep her hubby out to much chasing whitetails in the fall :D ). She’s a nurse (which may have something to do with it). Also, while I had a gun or two handy – I didn’t shoot often or at all (when she was younger); hunting wasn’t even a thought for many years. So even though guns were there … they ‘weren’t’ used / understood / explained (This is my short coming back then I guess - hindsight is always clearer). I also don’t think she knows how much the rest of her family (aunts, uncles, cousins) are more ‘pro’ than ‘anti’ … Anyway, I’m patiently working on it. Listening to her P.O.V. and discussing the issues. A lot of her attitudes sound like typical ‘anti’ rhetoric … I at least want her not to fear (hoplophobia?) and to understand, even if she isn’t enthusiastic about them.

And positive stories of young women being savy, secure and safe with guns give me hope to change her attitude and are highly commendable.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    really good news ! my wife and sons all understand the principals of self defense. our youngest, my daughter also does. she picked it up from her parents and big brothers. keep up the good work! you and her go kick some more tires.......have fun

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Thanks for all the comments here is the update.
    Yesterday we went to L-1 and got the fingerprints and a trip to the Sheriff's office to complete the LTCH application. For now she is working with a Tarus 85 with Houge grips seems to fit her well.
    We have a ways to go before I think she is ready to carry but she is making progress. Maybe a by the time the permit comes she will be ready.

The one thing I never thought about was fashion guys look at a holster as just that gals on the other hand not so much :): That's OK she is having a good time with it.

Both of my girls and my wife seem to be enjoying this process so it is a family affair. I am taking my youngest out rabbit hunting today with a friend and his son. After the hunt we are going to break a few clays. Take your kids out and let them enjoy our hobby and passion you may get a reward you never dreamed of.

Top Bottom