• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I am a school bus driver and have seen what the LACK of respect towards authority get kids. Many of my kids have been in juvie because they had not been taught to "obey" authority. Their lives are ruined already!

One middle school girl, when told to stand outside with the rest of the kids before school, told the Vice Principal "F*** You" and walked back inside the shcool. I know he heard her, but ignored her. He didn't help her to respect the rules, or herself. She now has at least 2 children (the first at 14, then again at 15). She was not taught to respect others (authority, etc.) or herself. She is screwed!!

One day, these children who refuse to "obey" authority will demand to be treated with respect and also expect to have a certain amount of "authority" over their own children. Why should they receive what they refuse to give? ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you")

There is a HUGE difference between respecting authority (and obeying the rules/laws) and being dictated to (as in ObamaCare).

I believe that the video was a positive one and our younger generations could learn how to live with others peacefully with such positive reinforcement as those kids sang about.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    This is seriously one of the worst threads I have seen on this site. Really? Are we happy, singing, kid bashing now?

This topic is a total failure. I've seen a lot of reading between the lines between the lines lately. Update, there is nothing there.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Authority extends outward from just those couple. And, yes, I did read their description. Doesn't change a thing. Obey and submit. Not a philosophy anyone should be comfortable with.[/quote]
    At least not any Atheists or Anarchists. :laugh:

There's nothing worse than having to admit that there exists a higher authority than the Almighty Self.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Obedience and respect for authority aren't values, they are tools.

I expect obedience from my four year old, because her obedience allows me to teach her efficiently and safely. She doesn't know enough yet to make her own decisions. I'll require this obedience from her for many years, gradually loosening the reins, of course, so that as she learns I'll allow her more and more of her own choices and not require that obedience.

Respect for authority is a skill that allows you to function within society, and also allows society to function. I respect a boss's authority even in situations where I don't respect the boss as a person. I respect a cop's authority because that respect is a necessary part of making our society function.

I think the part that bothers people about this is that some people think that obedience and respect for authority are some kind of virtue. I want my daughter to understand that someone having authority doesn't make them right. I want her to have the moral courage to stand up to a boss who asks her to make an unethical choice, or to refuse the cop who asks to search her vehicle, and any variety of other choices that demonstrate that respect for authority can't take precedence over her own knowledge of right and wrong.

As to obedience, for now I require it. Later, obedience is its own show of respect you give to someone in authority, and that you may revoke at any time.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    not bad, and not a bad message. if more kids had this kind of mentality we probably wouldnt have kids involved in crimes or maybe thats the parents fault?
    I sayth this however a song about respecting and obeying authority and then having a garage band playing music in parking lots would certainly not be too respectful nor the posture some of those kids had while they were jumping around at school obviously interrupting the teacher with song.

I dont view this as respect and submit but kids are expected to behave a certain way in certain times and places. good message kids keep up the great work of inspiration

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Right, the troubled kids won't be roaming the streets, shooting each other in their various gangs. They will be little obedient Federal Youths and they will do what their government tells them to do. It worked out really well for Germany, right?

This post has nothing to do with the video. I'm generalizing about obedient subjects here.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Right, the troubled kids won't be roaming the streets, shooting each other in their various gangs. They will be little obedient Federal Youths and they will do what their government tells them to do. It worked out really well for Germany, right?

This post has nothing to do with the video. I'm generalizing about obedient subjects here.
    You're post very often have nothing to do with the subject being discussed!! :rolleyes:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    This is seriously one of the worst threads I have seen on this site. Really? Are we happy, singing, kid bashing now?

This topic is a total failure. I've seen a lot of reading between the lines between the lines lately. Update, there is nothing there.

Repped. Really, people can't think of better ways to spend the days before Christmas?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm missing the horror of this video, OP. Do you think that this is going to effect children? If that's the case, the millions of other videos on Youtube will surely reverse any effect this video has. These are younger children in the video who are most likely trying to please their parents, teachers, etc. and thought this was a good message. Besides, this is the only such video I've found, so I highly doubt this is some big propaganda push. As it has already been posted: nothing to see here, move along...

And Lashicon: do you remember what it was like in grade school? Do you really think kids this age give a rat's rear about "participating in learning new information?" They have to understand the importance of learning that information first, and that comes later on in life. Sometimes when you're a child you have to be forced to do things that are good for you even if you don't understand why; like eating veggies or brushing your teeth or going to bed at a decent hour. Sometimes my parents had the patience to explain it, sometimes not. How many of you had parents who said "because I said so?"

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    The main point that we are missing is the difference between obedience and respect. Parents and God should be obeyed. Everyone else should be treated with respect. How much respect you treat others with depends on you and the situation.

I love my sister, but if she said something dumb, I would call her on it. If my Grandpa said the same thing, I would probably blow it off and go along with him. A teacher in high school would be in-between but leaning towards the "Grandpa" end of the scale.

Parents need to teach their kids to respect other people. Most of the examples that are discussed on this thread are due to a lack of parenting and teaching respect for others and the children themselves.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    There is an advertisement on tv for a radio station (?) that shows a young woman lying on her stomach singing something. The camera pans down toward her feet. She is naked and it shows her bare backside. What does that teach kids? How to be a Wh**e or Sl*t?

Without some limitations, there would be no peace. All kids would think it's ok to curse anyone else - and risk a beating. They would think that it's ok to steal, kill, rape, etc. because they had not been taught that it's NOT ok to violate the rights of others as they, themselves are demanding the "right" to violate the laws.

When I go to work, my boss has the "authority" to give me certain orders and I must obey. How does that work?
    When one goes to work for someone else, that person gives the employer PERMISSION to give certain JOB RELATED orders. That person also has the right to refuse non-job related orders and the employer can't do anything (legally) about it.

Just as with the kids - there are limits as to which "orders" teachers/police/other kids/adults can give and expect to be obeyed.
    The children need to be taught by parents, teachers, society which of those orders are legally acceptable.
    That is the responsibility of the parents and teachers, etc. to teach those limits. But, the child is also expected (required) to use his/her own head to decide if that "order" is just and/or moral.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    To paraphrase one of the lyrics-"respect authority and everything will be alright".

They start brainwashing them early in Kalifornia

I guess you are right. They should be taught instead, that they can do/say whatever they want, no matter if someone else might object. Ignore ALL authority and die young?
    :n00b:

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Why is it always all or nothing? Just because we're saying children shouldn't OBEY every adult in the world, you guys turn that into an Anarchy society where children roam around cursing people, spitting on their parents, and throw their Grandma a beating if she tells them to do something.

On the other hand, we get bent out of shape when some kids sing a song about respecting their parents. It's a funny world of extremes here.

Dredd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    This video should be mandatory viewing at every school and played on every TV station. People should learn some respect for the Law.

Top Bottom