• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Whatever new phone you get will most likely have a non replaceable battery. Make sure to keep it charged. Running a Li-Ion battery into the ground is what kills them quicker than anything else.

I cannot confirm or deny... But new phone batteries are amazing. You can go a few days on a new one if you're not browsing a lot, playing games, or on GPS/maps a lot. I'd imagine that she's not a "power phone user" - so can probably get by with only charging like an hour or so every day. Or even every other day for a few hours. (This is my experience with my fairly new Pixel 3a - and I use it a fair amount)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And I don’t know about androids, but the newest iPhones manage battery amazingly. They learn your patterns and charge slowly overnight so it’s charged just in time, minimizing wear.

and the brand new iPhone SE (not the one released after the 6) is inexpensive (for an iPhone) and awesome. A friend just bought one and they are amazing.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I cannot confirm or deny... But new phone batteries are amazing. You can go a few days on a new one if you're not browsing a lot, playing games, or on GPS/maps a lot. I'd imagine that she's not a "power phone user" - so can probably get by with only charging like an hour or so every day. Or even every other day for a few hours. (This is my experience with my fairly new Pixel 3a - and I use it a fair amount)
    I agree that the newer batteries are light years better than they used to be. Still if you allow the battery to die you will shorten it's lifespan.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi, Does any one on the southeast side of Indy have and use photo recovery software that can help me? No one in my family has a computer anymore.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi all, well I recovered all of my photos and learned a lot in the process.
    I now have them on a thumb drive and eventually will put them back on my phone.
    I also have backup turned on so that I can avoid future problems, I hope.
    Thanks for your help

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Hi all, well I recovered all of my photos and learned a lot in the process.
    I now have them on a thumb drive and eventually will put them back on my phone.
    I also have backup turned on so that I can avoid future problems, I hope.
    Thanks for your help

As cheap as USB drives are, I suggest having a couple of local backups of your backup. I have 4 8TB USB drives devoted to various backup roles and an additional 4 8TB USB drives that are fully redundant backups of those. I don't trust the cloud or at least I don't trust it to be my only true backup source.

If you're just talking about storing photos, even thousands of hi-res images, another $20 USB stick would probably have you covered.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Depending on if you are paranoid about using cloud storage services, you can also download Microsoft OneDrive or Google's version, or another of your choice, etc and set all photos you take with the phone to upload automatically (you can also tell it to only do so when it connects to Wifi, etc). I have mine set this way, but then I also make sure my cloud accounts are secure and I don't take pictures of anything I'm concerned with being seen anyway. Just a thought. This way if the phone takes a dump, it's no big deal.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Depending on if you are paranoid about using cloud storage services, you can also download Microsoft OneDrive or Google's version, or another of your choice, etc and set all photos you take with the phone to upload automatically (you can also tell it to only do so when it connects to Wifi, etc). I have mine set this way, but then I also make sure my cloud accounts are secure and I don't take pictures of anything I'm concerned with being seen anyway. Just a thought. This way if the phone takes a dump, it's no big deal.

No need for paranoia when it comes to google. They're rootin thru your stuffs and cataloging it for later. So the "paranoid freaks" who blurred out their serials werent wrong, their paranoia was just misdirected.

https://reclaimthenet.org/google-images-gun-serial-numbers-license-plates/

ETA: remember, if you arent paying for something online, you are the commodity, not the customer.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    No need for paranoia when it comes to google. They're rootin thru your stuffs and cataloging it for later. So the "paranoid freaks" who blurred out their serials werent wrong, their paranoia was just misdirected.

Never mind that 99% of pictures taken today have geotag information stored within, so if you can find a picture of a plate or a gun, you can find where it was when the picture was taken too.

This is why not too long after I started my YouTube channel I made up several magnetic license plate blockers. I won't say I'm perfect about using them, or that anyone who is driven enough to really try hard couldn't find me, but a physical block to the digital world is a good idea IMO.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

ETA: remember, if you arent paying for something online, you are the commodity, not the customer.

I don't personally use Google, and the one I use, I do actually pony up for a subscription on. I mentioned Google since OP had an android phone and therefore likely already has a Google account.

Never mind that 99% of pictures taken today have geotag information stored within, so if you can find a picture of a plate or a gun, you can find where it was when the picture was taken too.

This is why not too long after I started my YouTube channel I made up several magnetic license plate blockers. I won't say I'm perfect about using them, or that anyone who is driven enough to really try hard couldn't find me, but a physical block to the digital world is a good idea IMO.

You can turn this off in privacy settings on most phones.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Well I have figured out how to put the pictures back on my SD card and I also have copy of them on one of my thumb drives just in case I should ever screw up again.

There is so much on my phone that I know nothing about. I use Google because I find it so handy to use for many different things, but like I said, I'm still learning.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    You can turn this off in privacy settings on most phones.

Yet almost no one does. The entire point I was making is that it's a good idea to create a physical block to the digital world because the generic "you" just doesn't know what the next thing you're going to have to disable to maintain your privacy might be. I only went to a smart phone about a year ago and I was utterly appalled by the draconian crap that apparently everyone just agrees to in the EULA. I use my phone for as little as possible.

Well I have figured out how to put the pictures back on my SD card and I also have copy of them on one of my thumb drives just in case I should ever screw up again.

There is so much on my phone that I know nothing about. I use Google because I find it so handy to use for many different things, but like I said, I'm still learning.

There's nothing wrong with using Google to make your life easier if that's what you prefer. Just be aware of what you're agreeing to and understand that basically everything on your phone is public domain (either by way of their license agreements, poor security measures, or whatever) and be careful about what you do with it. Pictures of your grandkids in normal settings? No actual harm is likely to come of that, IMO. Pictures of your entire gun collection for insurance reasons? Well... I'd probably not do that, personally.

As far as learning goes, there is no better tool than a $40 eBay phone to experiment with. You don't have to buy cell service for them to just thinker around. That's what I did before I made the switch to a smart phone.

Top Bottom