• ...and so much more!
  • JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    2c64b606ddc1c8e3621323646e779a75.jpeg

You should consider a Dobie. They make much better home defense dogs. Malik scares the crap out of everyone that comes over but little do they know, he’s the biggest baby on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I love everyone's comments, jokes, and opinions. Good advice sprinkled throughout. One thing is for certain: I had no input on the breed of dog the girls chose. And it's too late for anything other than planning for the 2 Chihuahuas to be here in a couple of weeks now. Took the girls shopping on Sunday morning and dam I dropped some coin lol. I'm glad I'll save $ on food

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I prefer bigger dogs, but I don't mind Chihuahuas. I'd be afraid to own one, as my husband is a big guy, with big feet, and he's like a bull in a china shop. I would try to take them out and socialize them while they are young so that they are used to being around different people. Once they've had all their vaccinations (Parvo has killed many a puppy), I'd take them to places like pet stores, Rural King, Big R, etc.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Just sayin,

[video]https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrC5rKu.7Ba8DIAYhe3mWRH;_ylu=X3oDMTByZW c0dGJtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMQ--?p=mel+gibson+dog+makes+a+delicious+meal&amp;vid=ec7e0 5bc349e9b648d0496dc8269fca8&amp;turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse 2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOVP.Qe4xiuWOB6wuN6H2ueJD hAEsB-%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D126%26w%3D300%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1 &amp;rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D 02IePc2YkVI&amp;tit=Dog+is+a+Fine+Meal.wmv&amp;c=0&amp;h=126&amp;w =300&amp;l=13&amp;sigr=11b9hgtcr&amp;sigt=10mpkufmg&amp;sigi=12rns ockc&amp;age=1335040247&amp;fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&amp;fr=crmas&amp;tt= b[/video]

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Apparently someone thought that barking for ~3 minutes a few times a day was reason enough to chuck a cake of rat poison over our fence last weekend. Fortunately I found it before any of the dogs had eaten it, but we had a very stressful weekend inducing vomiting in four dogs and watching for signs of poisoning.

It takes a special kind of D*ckless piece of Sh*t to do something like that.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Just sayin,

[video]https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrC5rKu.7Ba8DIAYhe3mWRH;_ylu=X3oDMTByZW c0dGJtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMQ--?p=mel+gibson+dog+makes+a+delicious+meal&amp;vid=ec7e0 5bc349e9b648d0496dc8269fca8&amp;turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse 2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOVP.Qe4xiuWOB6wuN6H2ueJD hAEsB-%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D126%26w%3D300%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1 &amp;rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv %3D 02IePc2YkVI&amp;tit=Dog+is+a+Fine+Meal.wmv&amp;c=0&amp;h=126&amp;w =300&amp;l=13&amp;sigr=11b9hgtcr&amp;sigt=10mpkufmg&amp;sigi=12rns ockc&amp;age=1335040247&amp;fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&amp;fr=crmas&amp;tt= b[/video]

:): classic.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I love everyone's comments, jokes, and opinions. Good advice sprinkled throughout. One thing is for certain: I had no input on the breed of dog the girls chose. And it's too late for anything other than planning for the 2 Chihuahuas to be here in a couple of weeks now. Took the girls shopping on Sunday morning and dam I dropped some coin lol. I'm glad I'll save $ on food

Some can be pickey eaters. You need food with a small kibble. I use royal canin Chihuahua. It’s $42 for a 10 lb. bag at Petco but it lasts 3 dogs about a month and a half.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    They are mean, evil, nasty little critters. Might as well get a possum

:laugh: :yesway:

My grandparents had one that was exactly this description. They would take it out and let it run around in the back yard to do its business, then they brought it in it would run around the house fast as it could. They didn't find out until after it had died and they were rearranging the furniture that it was running behind the couch and pissing on the curtains. If the dog was actually big enough to hurt something they would have been in the news and I probably would have been missing a hand as often as that thing bit me...and we had (actual) dogs so it's not like I didn't know/like them.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My bit of advice when feeding them, also known as what I do with my two dogs...

When I'm getting their food, they are sitting and waiting. When I set the food in front of them, they don't eat until I tell them it's okay. They eat only the food in their bowl, I don't allow them to eat from each other's bowl. If they eat all their food, they're done. If they don't, they're done until it's time to eat again. I do not allow them to eat any food unless it's in their bowl and they have been given permission. The last part is mainly because I have small grandkids and this keeps the dogs from stealing food.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Another thing I do...

When going in or out, I go first. Then I give the dogs permission to go. This teaches (and, by being consistent, enforces) the rule that you are in charge and that you "own" the area.

Another thing...

When someone comes to the door, my dogs do not greet them unless I allow them to. They must be calm or I won't allow them. I also give them some time to say hello,and and then I make them go lie down. This also reinforces that you (or your wife/daughter) are the one in charge.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    My bit of advice when feeding them, also known as what I do with my two dogs...

When I'm getting their food, they are sitting and waiting. When I set the food in front of them, they don't eat until I tell them it's okay. They eat only the food in their bowl, I don't allow them to eat from each other's bowl. If they eat all their food, they're done. If they don't, they're done until it's time to eat again. I do not allow them to eat any food unless it's in their bowl and they have been given permission. The last part is mainly because I have small grandkids and this keeps the dogs from stealing food.

Great advice. Food is usually a good training/control motivator. Well behaved dogs require training which requires time that most people aren't willing to invest. Some people just aren't interested and others want their dog to be an equal and not have it's feelings hurt by corrections. Not a fan of free feeding; people dump an unmeasured heap of food in the bowl and let the dog eat what it wants.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Yes we were looking for Chihuahua specific foods. Thank you for that suggestion!

You will like not having to lug a 50lb bag of food in the house. No doubt about that lol. My two guys go threw about 60lb's or so a month.

Not to mention the size of the deposits left behind are a lot less as well. Every kid should have a pup in their life. They are great companions and teach responsibility.

This last pup we got is a hoot. He is hands down the easiest pup I have ever house broke. He is glued to my boy wherever he goes. Our older dog was suppose to be the boys but he latched on to me. The dogs get along great. We had an older dog when we got this guy so he had been around other dogs. He has gotten a long good with my daughters pup and my friends dogs. I did not know how well this was going to work out. The new pup wasn't much bigger then a handful of chicken nuggets. First day the pup bit him on the tongue when Charlie was checking him out. But he was fine. They go at it round and round now trying to see who can come out on top. The old man is top dog at the moment. They both sleep really well when they are done. I remember this guy dong the same thing with the other older dog. TBH, I think he has been lonely and we should have gonna another pup after the other passed away.

Enjoy the new pups. Get the kids to do as much of the care as you can. It's great for them. Share some pics when you can.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I always had big dogs over the years, several Pitbulls, a German Shepard, and some mixed breed dogs, and they were all good dogs, in their own way. But then we got our first little dog, a Chihuahua/toy Poodle mix, and he was just as good in his way too. The dog we have now is a Chihuahua and, I think, Dachshund mix and she's about the best dog we've ever had.

She's certainly no threat to anyone that might break in to the house, but she'd sure let me know if they did, and that's all I need her to do.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Be careful if the dog(s) is up on a couch/chair or a bed. My sister's chihuahua broke a leg jumping off the bed. Healed up just fine but they are fragile animals.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I always had big dogs over the years, several Pitbulls, a German Shepard, and some mixed breed dogs, and they were all good dogs, in their own way. But then we got our first little dog, a Chihuahua/toy Poodle mix, and he was just as good in his way too. The dog we have now is a Chihuahua and, I think, Dachshund mix and she's about the best dog we've ever had.

She's certainly no threat to anyone that might break in to the house, but she'd sure let me know if they did, and that's all I need her to do.

As a kid we always had small dogs. Mix mutts. My wife had a Yorky mix when I met her. She was a brat (the dog) My wife had no clue on how to set boundaries for behavior. I was here about 2 weeks and she was a different pup. She would let you know someone was in the yard. I swear she had radar. But she was friendly.

Then we got my first big dog. A Golden Chow mix. He was about 7 when we got him and was a wild child. He'd sneak out and run as every chance. Jumped on everyone. I worked with him for about a month and after some training the leash was for an illusion. God he was a beautiful dog. Always stayed beside me. Then I got my pit puppy. He is worthless as a guard dog. He pretty much only barks if he knows you. Otherwise he just lays there until you come in. Then he wants a back scratch & belly rub.

We got a boxer pit /mix the beginning of December. He is a character. He doesn't bark unless he and the old dog are going at it and he is loosing. They are fun to watch. They play well and get along great. I don't get a ton of company so we are working on our social skills. I was running my business out of the house when we had the golden/chow and he was every ones buddy. These guys get excited once someone is inside.

I love dogs. Big or small. But I am more of a mid size dog now. But no telling what the next pup will be. I sure miss my golden mix. But Idon't miss the food bill! lol

Top Bottom