What 1911 is best under $1,000? Para, Springfield , Kimber, Colt, etc?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Anyone have any experience with the fusion 1911s?

I have a Commander sized carry piece that I built with a Fusion Kit. My avatar is an image of it. The kit was the slide and frame with the barrel and link fitted already. Bob Serva is the guy that worked with me from Fusion (he is the owner, I believe) and he was very helpful. I can recommend Fusion or Bob for anything he offers.

Oh more to the original question, my recommendation would be a 70 series 1911 (and use Wilson mags).

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Last edited:

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I have a Commander sized carry piece that I built with a Fusion Kit. My avatar is an image of it. The kit was the slide and frame with the barrel and link fitted already. Bob Serva is the guy that worked with me from Fusion (he is the owner, I believe) and he was very helpful. I can recommend Fusion or Bob for anything he offers.

Oh more to the original question, my recommendation would be a 70 series 1911 (and use Wilson mags).

I have used Fusion parts. No problems. I used one of their Commander barrels. Very accurate.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Well. I don't know what to say about all this. I guess I am sorry I really like BK burgers, but they give me the ****s. My vote is for Rally's, if I wanted anyones change I'd have voted for Obama.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

What building was required if the barrel was fitted? Did you cut the sear? Fit the bushing? Was the beavertail fitted or did you do that?

I'm interested in hearing about how much work/how long it took to build up a gun from one of his kits.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    What building was required if the barrel was fitted? Did you cut the sear? Fit the bushing? Was the beavertail fitted or did you do that?

I'm interested in hearing about how much work/how long it took to build up a gun from one of his kits.

Building this gun was one of the most rewarding little projects I have ever done. I had a hip replacement done a couple of years ago and did the build while I was off my feet.

The most useful thing I bought was Wilson combats "Combat customizing the 1911". Most of what needed to be done was covered in this 4 dvd set.I asked Bob from Fusion to do a bobtail cut (no pun intended), which he did, as well as installing an extended ejector from Wilson. I bought jigs for both a High ride Wilson grip safety and the sear prep from Brownells. I started with a Cylinder and slide sear, disconnector and hammer kit. Nighthawk custom trigger and the remainder were Wilson combat components. I fitted everything except the barrel and link. This probably took me about 50 to 60 labor hours to do it all. The best advice I can give is to think a LOT about what you are about to do to the gun and fit the part to the gun NOT the other way around.
    I have not done a final finish on it as I wanted to shoot it for a couple of seasons to make sure there was not anything else (like further relieving the ejection port, which I did) I might want to do.
    In case you are wondering, it has been 100% reliable and the trigger is right at 4 lbs. I cannot PM yet but if you send me one I will be glad to help you any way I can.
    I have about $1250 in the gun minus the final finish. So better than $1500 when complete

Last edited:

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Building your own 1911. I suppose that's the next best thing, if not better than having a custom built for you.. Now can you make a good build for under 1K?

I was editing my post when you posted. As above it won't be for less than 1K. This kind of thing is NOT for everyone. If a person is not confident in their skills (be honest) I wouldn't try it.

Last edited:

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    I don't have any experience with the manufactures listed other than Springfield. I have a 1911 SA Loaded Target and Les Baer Premier II. The SA 1911 out of the box had an unacceptable trigger pull, the safety shape cut into the shooters thumb, and the accuracy was not acceptable at 25 yds. To make the SA better, i had a trigger job completed, modified the safety shape, and installed an ECW barrel bushing custom made for my barrel/slide combination. The gun is pretty good now but needs to the safety replaced to be comfortable. The trigger works pretty well (not as good as the Baer but acceptable) and the accuracy was improved with the barrel bushing. One trip the range would suggest the SA now is as accurate as the Baer (my gun snob friend will disagree). :-)

The point is I have $850 total in a used, modified Springfield and $1300 in the used Baer. The modified Springfield is now ~90% of the Baer for a lot less money. If cost is no object, buy a Baer or Wilson. If you're on a budget, go with a modified Springfield for the best bang for the buck.

Hopefully others here with experience with other brands can compare Kimber, RIA, Colt, etc. to the Springfield to give you a better flavor for the lower cost offerings. Good luck with your selection and purchase.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Maybe asking for best value in 1911 purchase rather than puttng $1,000 cap on it would help? On topic, I got a barely-used Kimber Stainless Pro TLE/RL II for less than $1,000 (with enough left over to buy a fair bit iof ammo...).

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I love my SA Loaded Champion. Hope to add a TRP to the collection eventually. Bought used. No FTF or FTE in over 1000 rounds. Shoots better than I do.

Top Bottom