• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Keep in mind the sporter VEPR will not work with military mags unless you install a bullet guide.

Take a look at the new SLR 107 fixed stock model, they are going for $850 but well worth the extra $100 over what you were thinking. If you can't swing the extra $$$, then go with the WASR all day long.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I am aware of the mag incompatibility, however the mod is cheap
    While I have personally not done this, keep your eyes peeled for the next AK build party. I'd be willing to bet someone here can oversee your modification. There are some very knowledgeable people who lurk around here.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    A properly made 1mm AK receiver is not going to break, so all the 1.5mm receiver gives you is more weight. Any quality non US made AK is going to "take a licking, and keep on ticking".
    ^This right here.

I've had people push me toward $1200 AKs. "It has a milled receiver." I didn't realize the stamped receivers were so garbage.

If you want an AK to do AK stuff.... get one for $600 and then buy another case or two of ammo.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm no ak expert, but what's all the excitement about this new ak from arsenal? I get that it's cheaper, but is it as good as the other arsenal aks?

same rifle, just fixed stock, and 14mm threads on the front. Basically the same configuration as a Vepr, but converted and with all the things an AK should (cleaning rod, accessory lugs on gas block, pistol grip, stock, etc) but for the same money as an unconverted Vepr.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    same rifle, just fixed stock, and 14mm threads on the front. Basically the same configuration as a Vepr, but converted and with all the things an AK should (cleaning rod, accessory lugs on gas block, pistol grip, stock, etc) but for the same money as an unconverted Vepr.

But did they fix the paint problem?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Why not go against the grain and instead get a Ruger Mini-Thirty, or go way outside the mainstream and get a CZ 527 or Ruger M77 Hawkeye?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Should have got one of these.

Heizer-Defense-PAK1-Pocket-AK_F.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    In x39, if you have the jack, a Sig 556R! The Beemer of the x39's (as long as it's Gen2,Sig has a new habit of function testing first Gen stuff at the consumer level?)

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Why not go against the grain and instead get a Ruger Mini-Thirty, or go way outside the mainstream and get a CZ 527 or Ruger M77 Hawkeye?

I'll also vote for the Ruger Mini-30. I am not having any of the reported trouble with cheap Russian ammo. It has been shooting Wolf and Tula without an FTF.

Good luck with your VEPR.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    The VEPR arrives tomorrow... it was $749 shipped. I've got plenty of cash for firearms, but I try to keep a healthy reserve for my motorsports. My cycles are pretty important to me as well. I think I will like the VEPR, it's something different than the run of the mill military rifle, and I can burn some cheap ammunition in it as well.

My initial goal was to be around $600, so $750 was an upgrade. Luckily my bike looks like it will be ready for spring with minimal tweaks.

Top Bottom