• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    BCM light weight profile mid length rifle. Noveske QD end plate. Magpul furniture with mount n slot light, sling attachments. Mod 4 CH. LMT fixed rear sight. Sling. 20 mags,
    2k rounds.

All quality parts here. 1/7 twist, correct NDE, staking, steel. Pick your stock and sling, the above should cost you around 2200$ If you are figuring 1500 for the rifle, and none for mags and ammunition to practice with, then buy a baseball bat instead - it will hurt them more when you swing it.

AR = $$

Last edited:

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Also, you can get more quality and better resale from something like a Colt 6720 or 6920 because of the specs and name, and I've seen those for around 1100 with magpul furniture and irons included.

M4carbine.net. don't post, just read.

dking1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    thanks for the post stephen87 the link has a lot of good info. I learned something new today.
    Txlur I want a weapon that will take the abuse and want more. I hope I never have to use it in a life or death situation but if I do it has to work. 1st time and every time. I thank you for your suggestions. I have not looked at BCM before but I am now.
    Everyone please keep the suggestions coming I'm getting a lot of good info.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I understand this approach but mine is polar opposite :) almost

Read some to understand basics. Go out and buy a new/used one for 650-750$

Shoot it for a year or so (shoot it not just own it). Write down what you like or don't like about the rifle.

Decide if you want to upgrade the one you have or buy another and sell the first one for almost what you paid anyway, maybe 120 less meaning it cost you 10$ a month to gain experience with the platform and identify likes/dislikes :)

That's me, I'd rather shoot with an AR that's not quite perfect then to not shoot one for 2 years while waiting for the perfect fit.

Since every part can be changed, you can start with a low end gun, find an upper you like? Buy it and sell your old upper etc to offset the cost.

But that's just me.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    There are 25,304 people on Ingo so expect about 25,000 different answers. I probably fall into the buy an inexpensive quality AR now and go shoot it to find out what you like and don't like. I went the opposite way and bought a Spikes tricked out, annd I love it but a 1000 dollar gun would have served me just as well.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    . I like the Windham a lot . The only bad thing I heard about Windham was the trigger. Has anyone had any trouble with this? If so did you change the trigger assembly out? What brand of trigger did you go to and why?

The Windam Comes with a Standard GI trigger assembly. I havent noticed any difference in it than any other standard AR trigger Ive felt. It seems fairly easy to swap out but Ive never attempted a trigger install. Im thinking about getting a Geissele drop in trigger and giving it a try. The Geissele is about $180.00 for a basic trigger upgrade but they make all kinds up to $400.00. Ive never shot with a Geissele but they are one of the top reviewed brands for triggers.

This is the one Im thinking about getting for mine.

Geissele Super Semi Automatic Trigger AR-15 LR-308 Small Pin .154 Two

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From what I read, which is quite a bit since I have been in the same dilemma for awhile, do not get a Bushmaster or a Stag.

"Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!" - M4Carbine.net Forums

I have built up 3 AR's this year and used stag lowers on 2 of them. Run fine. Have no idea as to the quality of the complete guns they offer.

As to a budget...I would look at an M&P with the forward assist upper. After you personalize it with what ever zombie gear you may want on it (light, grips, optics, extra mags) you will push the end of the $1500 area easily. We can build one for under $600 but an aimpoint optic will put you over a grand. An eotech and multiplier will push you well past that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The Windam Comes with a Standard GI trigger assembly. I havent noticed any difference in it than any other standard AR trigger Ive felt. It seems fairly easy to swap out but Ive never attempted a trigger install. Im thinking about getting a Geissele drop in trigger and giving it a try. The Geissele is about $180.00 for a basic trigger upgrade but they make all kinds up to $400.00. Ive never shot with a Geissele but they are one of the top reviewed brands for triggers.

This is the one Im thinking about getting for mine.

Geissele Super Semi Automatic Trigger AR-15 LR-308 Small Pin .154 Two

Triggers are not difficult. Just make sure the springs are oriented correctly. My RRA 2-stage came with one of the springs installed from the factory backwards and since it was my first trigger install, I initially put it in and was a little bedazzled why it wouldn't go together. I flipped the spring around(after looking at some images on the 'net) and voila, dropped right in!:)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    In that price range, I would look at Windham or Colt, both would serve you well. You would still have money for an optic and BUIS. Upgrading a trigger, stock, etc is not hard to do. I have seen people spend more money for a bunch of fancy ****, then they wound up changing parts again. That's why I say start with a basic mil spec rifle, then change things as you see fit.

Last edited:

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    There are lots and lots of ar15 options out there. If you just want to buy an assembled ar15 then it's hard to go wrong with companies like Colt, Daniels Defense, Bravo Company (BCM), or CMMG ... and those are just a few to look at.

Your other option is building/assembling it yourself. It really isn't too difficult and there are a lot of members who would be more than happy to assist you.

The toughest part is trying to decide what you want ... but remember that unlike most firearms, you can change the format of an ar15 as many times as you want. Don't like the hand grip .. change it ... Don't like the butt stock .. change it ... Forearm ... change it. It does take some time and some simple armorer's tools but for the most part it's pretty simple.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    To those saying "I like this" or "I like that", please explain why. Try to help the OP understand "why" you like X over Y. Just saying "I like brand X" doesn't really help much.

This was definitely directed at me.

I like Noveskes because of the double thick chrome lined barrels that they offer with the outstanding accuracy I can get. I have a 12.5" that will hit just a hare above 1 MOA at 200 yards. Granted, the velocity of the 12.5 wil reduce accuracy at any greater distance, but this is sufficient for my specs.

With such great accuracy, generally you are sacrificing weight and barrel life (ie; stainless barrel), but with the noveske, the chrome lining gives me the piece of mind that it will last many tens of thousands of rounds. Some of the unique features on mine is a switchblock, which is nice when using a supressor.

Also; the gen two lower receivers have a nice flare to them and an integrated triggerguard. These two features make the lower receiver feel nicer, and I dare say my reloads are just a little faster.

I have another rifle equipped with their NSR rail, which is top notch equipment. It's lightweight, and doesn't have any functions I don't need.

Reliability is something that I don't worry about. I will admit I frequently shoot crappy steel case ammo with no diminish in quality on rifle accuracy or reliability. (I do accuracy tests with 77gr handloads).

I don't clean my rifles often, and it still works reliably. I don't shoot my guns dry though, so they may not work then.

There are other rifles out there, but the noveskes had every feature that I want. I have a BCM also and it runs like something that is very reliable all the time. I just didn't want to mess with having to tweak my gun for reliability ever and could eat any ammo I gave it.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Snobs? In the Gun community?????? No.....by the way, anybody know where I can get some new clips for my Stag????? ;)

You need magazines, not clips. The 'snobs' know how to buy or assemble better rifles at usually just a bit more cost, which is negligible when one factors in the cost of consumable shooting materials: ammo, mags, training, range fees, gas, gear, etc. There is no real bonus if you save 200$ by choosing an inferior rifle, and have any problem whatsoever, including resale.

How much do the 1/7 twist Stag rifles cost?

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I have built up 3 AR's this year and used stag lowers on 2 of them. Run fine. Have no idea as to the quality of the complete guns they offer.

As to a budget...I would look at an M&P with the forward assist upper. After you personalize it with what ever zombie gear you may want on it (light, grips, optics, extra mags) you will push the end of the $1500 area easily. We can build one for under $600 but an aimpoint optic will put you over a grand. An eotech and multiplier will push you well past that.

Ok, where are these quality rifles (minimum fa bcg hpt/mp, chrome lined 1/7, m4 feed ramps) for under 600$ Does anyone pay the builder? Is there any money in that budget for ammunition? And really, are magazines and a light 'zombie gear'? Is that what you ate calling necessities these days.

Lowers =/= rifles. On a budget like this I'd shoot a .22. Back to earth people.

Top Bottom