• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Stag makes a good rifle. There are a lot of AR snobs out there, just like with anything else.

Yeah, I can understand that. I was just pointing out what I've heard quite a bit of. I know with Bushmasters they aren't staked properly. As for Stags, I hear a lot of people with issues. They say anything from improper staking to the fit and finish are iffy. Like I said though, I'm in the process of building my first so I research quite a bit.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You need magazines, not clips. The 'snobs' know how to buy or assemble better rifles at usually just a bit more cost, which is negligible when one factors in the cost of consumable shooting materials: ammo, mags, training, range fees, gas, gear, etc. There is no real bonus if you save 200$ by choosing an inferior rifle, and have any problem whatsoever, including resale.

How much do the 1/7 twist Stag rifles cost?

I assembled mine at a bit LESS cost. About $300 actually.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok, where are these quality rifles (minimum fa bcg hpt/mp, chrome lined 1/7, m4 feed ramps) for under 600$ Does anyone pay the builder? Is there any money in that budget for ammunition? And really, are magazines and a light 'zombie gear'? Is that what you ate calling necessities these days.

Lowers =/= rifles. On a budget like this I'd shoot a .22. Back to earth people.

Well, lets see.
    1st, I build my own and have connections for the parts. I have come by these good people by asking, doing and helping. I have built up a few recently and yes, I had some things on hand but an entry level mil spec AR can be built on the cheap at the money I mentioned. A bit of patience and research gets you far these days. No skills, I or any one of several ingo members are glad to help out. Paid, what the hell is that...............:D

2nd, the op put out the $1500 budget not me. Read the entire thread before jumping on OK. I built a decent AR for my son to give him for Christmas for under the OP's budget and it has a Light. Will that make him a Mall Ninja??

3rd,Ammunition is not any part of an initial buy/build. It is the cost of operating the gun as in any hobby or sport.

4th, you are going to run an AR with (1) mag...really. Not much fun in that at all. Yes, we have many Mags. When we go to the range or the woods with 5 or 6 AR's it takes a butt load of ammo to run them.

5th, If you are building or buying a hot rod of any sort half the fun is fixing it up my brother. Zombie gear is merely a term used for some of the things folks like to hang on the gun. A necessity is in the eyes and budget of the owner. Chill the heck out wild man. This is the planet that we live on.

6th, snob......really. That is a 1st

Enjoy.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have a few AR's, Colt, PSA, S&W, Spikes. I love them all, and have had a couple RRA's. They all shoot well and funtion great. I like the 1x7 twist myself but nothing wrong with 1x9.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    The PSA is a smoking deal. It has all the appropriate pieces to be reliable and at a low cost. I'd get 6 mags and a butt load of ammo and have a blast.

jkirby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Kokomo/Bunker hill
    I built my RRA Mid length for around $800. I know everyone around here has something negative to say about RRA but I love mine. It goes bang everytime I pull the trigger and I have never had a problem with it. I use both Pmags and USGI 30 rd mags and have shot about any and every brass cased ammo and it has function flawlessly. You will get a different answer from everyone you ask. Most will say don't buy this one or that one but truth be told they have never shot or handled that brand of rifle, they just "heard bad things". I can't say which rifle you shouldn't buy as I only have experience with one, but i can say the one I have I would trust with my life and I absolutely believe I built the right rifle for me.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    From what I read, which is quite a bit since I have been in the same dilemma for awhile, do not get a Bushmaster or a Stag.

I would like to know who is posting that Stags are junk:rolleyes: Stag is owned by CMT which stands for Continental Machine & Tool. Just do a little research into the company and you will see that they make a LOT of mil-spec parts for other companies who just slap their name on it. Like *cough, cough* S&W, RRA, etc. Stags are great rifles. I have 5 ARs ranging from LMT/Noveske, Colt, Spikes, and Stag. I wouldn't choose the Stag first but overall it is an outstanding rifle.:twocents:

EAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I went with a gas piston upper by Adams Arms. I liked the idea of the heat and dirt being less of a factor. $700 ~ $1100. I spent a extra on the trigger and went with a Geissele SSA-E $225. Magpul CTR buttstock $125. I spent the most money on what meant the most to me. Do some research and see whats out there.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I went with a gas piston upper by Adams Arms. I liked the idea of the heat and dirt being less of a factor. $700 ~ $1100. I spent a extra on the trigger and went with a Geissele SSA-E $225. Magpul CTR buttstock $125. I spent the most money on what meant the most to me. Do some research and see whats out there.

I agree.

My build is pretty "vanilla", but it is like I wanted it. A lot of people advised me to use a standard Mil-spec trigger, but when I had the opportunity to drop the hammer on a standard and a RRA NM 2-stage, it immediately became worth it to me to spend a little extra on the RRA trigger.

Sure, my build price was higher than what I could buy a mil-spec carbine for, but I wanted a few upgrades.:)

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    We just did a review on a Core15 we were able to shoot this weekend. Very nice piece. Gas Impingment was under the cost of many of the ARs listed above and had the basic requirements listed by almost everyone. Of course, everyone's views vary! Two of the group walked off range stating they'd trade off the AKs for that one.

One further thought. Look through the classifieds. Check out used gun sales. What brands are common on the used market, what brands are unobtanium used?

If a brand is constantly showing up on the used market when other brands with the same amount of production are not showing up on the used market that COULD be an indicator of quality and owner loyalty.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I've been thinking of buying my first AR as well, but not sure if I have the basic gunsmithing knowledge of purchasing one, taking it down, putting it all back together again. After reading the links in the above posts about buying an AR, I may be better served to just keep my shotgun with interchangeable barrels so I can use .00 and slugs, and my .357 lever gun. I thought I might have gotten an AR in just "standard" outfit, whatever that means, not spending more than ~$800.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've been thinking of buying my first AR as well, but not sure if I have the basic gunsmithing knowledge of purchasing one, taking it down, putting it all back together again. After reading the links in the above posts about buying an AR, I may be better served to just keep my shotgun with interchangeable barrels so I can use .00 and slugs, and my .357 lever gun. I thought I might have gotten an AR in just "standard" outfit, whatever that means, not spending more than ~$800.

Not sure what kind of shotgun you have, but I have a semi-auto shotgun and between tearing it down and the AR, they require about the same amount of skills. Both very easy. And actually, with my shotgun, I never remove the recoil spring that is in the stock. Never have and the gun's 30+ years old.

Just saw this from Palmetto state Armory:
    Smith & Wesson M&P15OR 811003

Regular Price: $899.99
    Special Price: $799.99

Quick Overview

SKU:811003
    Model: M&P15
    Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223
    Capacity: 30 Rounds - Detachable Mag
    Barrel Length: 16"
    Action: Semi-Auto
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 9"
    Front Sight: None
    Rear Sight: None
    Overall Length: 35" Extended/32" Collapsed
    Stock: 6 Position CAR Stock
    Weight: 6.5 lbs.
    Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
    Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
    Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
    Chromed Components: Barrel Bore, Gas Key Bolt Carrier, Chamber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Not sure what kind of shotgun you have, but I have a semi-auto shotgun and between tearing it down and the AR, they require about the same amount of skills. Both very easy. And actually, with my shotgun, I never remove the recoil spring that is in the stock. Never have and the gun's 30+ years old.

Just saw this from Palmetto state Armory:
    Smith & Wesson M&P15OR 811003

Regular Price: $899.99
    Special Price: $799.99

Quick Overview

SKU:811003
    Model: M&P15
    Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223
    Capacity: 30 Rounds - Detachable Mag
    Barrel Length: 16"
    Action: Semi-Auto
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 9"
    Front Sight: None
    Rear Sight: None
    Overall Length: 35" Extended/32" Collapsed
    Stock: 6 Position CAR Stock
    Weight: 6.5 lbs.
    Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
    Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
    Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
    Chromed Components: Barrel Bore, Gas Key Bolt Carrier, Chamber

Hey...thanks for the info. I have a couple of shotties, an 870 with different barrels, stocks and grips, and a Beretta semi-auto. I take down the Beretta all the time to clean it and store it in its case. I thought an AR was going to be quite a bit more complicated. But the one you mentioned would just about fit the bill. Add some sights or a red dot and that would be all I'm looking for.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hey...thanks for the info. I have a couple of shotties, an 870 with different barrels, stocks and grips, and a Beretta semi-auto. I take down the Beretta all the time to clean it and store it in its case. I thought an AR was going to be quite a bit more complicated. But the one you mentioned would just about fit the bill. Add some sights or a red dot and that would be all I'm looking for.

My auto is a Beretta AL-2 Magnum.

Jakob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sit down and READ, READ, READ

Asking what AR to buy will just get you 100's of different opinions and confuse you more.

Read, study, ask questions, take your time. Figure out what you want and what you want from the rifle.

This goes for any gun purchase when you're a noob! Great advice!

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Palmetto State Armory states that their uppers are made by a mil-spec manufacturer, which probably includes FN parts since they're both located in the same city of Columbia, South Carolina.
    They have chrome lined barrels and chambers.
    They also use the heavier full auto bolt carrier which is better than LMT on the chart.
    Plus they have a 1 in 7" twist.

The Chart:

http://gunfacts.webs.com/M4Chart1.gif

Palmetto regularly has special offers on their website:

Palmetto State Armory - Rifles - Firearms

Last edited:
    Top Bottom