• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have a friend who is getting rid of some guns his grandfather left him. :facepalm: I will try to talk him about the issue, but I agreed to give him some help in determining what they could possibly get in a private sale. I was able to tell what some were, but these (pictured below), gave me trouble. I will be visiting him sometime this week to take a look and get make, model, caliber, etc., but in the meantime, can any of you provide any information from the pictures provided?

#1 - British Lee-Enfield in .303
    Whatisit2.jpg

#2 - Ruger M77 30-06
    Whatisit.jpg

#3 - Marlin 30-30 Lever Action, Model 336
    Whatisit3.jpg

#4 - Plainfield Universal M1
    Whatisit4.jpg

Last edited:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Bottom appears to be an M 1 carbine. .30 caliber.

One above it looks like a Marlin lever action, can't tell you the caliber.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    No Que, #3 appears to be a Marlin lever action, #2 is a bolt action and resembles too many brands to venture a guess.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    # 3 Marlin lever gun looks like a model 336 RC (regular carbine) from the late 1950's. Get the serial number and subtract from 100 if it starts with a number:This is good to go since 1972 before that there were letters.

If it starts with a letter pm me and I will get you the year it was born. My guess from the pic is it will start with a letter P,R,S,T. I think it might be a around 1958 as is has the fold down rear sight and peep sight screws with the oil finish and what apears to be a period weaver 4X scope.

Then again the pic is not very detailed.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    if that m1 is a plainfield, it would be worth slightly less then a ww2 original but more then a universal

plainfields like that are post war civilian production but unlike universal they take gi parts

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The enfield should be stamped something like "No.4 MK I" somewhere or whichever variation it is

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks for all the help, everybody. I'm out of rep, but I'll try to get to all of you. I'll try to get more detailed information when I see them, tomorrow.

The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    #1 is a Lee Enfield MkIII SMLE or Shtle because it has the barrel mounted rear sight it should say when and by whom it was made on the right side where the butt stock mounts to the fore stock.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The enfield is probably one of the earlier variants. It most likely pre-dates the ever popular No1 Mk III, as I don't see any of the "ears" protecing the rear sight. On the right of the reciever band it should be stamped with the model and date. It is probably from the 1910's or so and might be worth a little more if everything matches up numbers wise.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    how can you guys tell what the m1 is? i looked at an iver johnson m1 last week (less then $300) that looked exactly the same but they don't take GI parts, and from what i have read they are crap. just curious as to what sets them apart.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    how can you guys tell what the m1 is? i looked at an iver johnson m1 last week (less then $300) that looked exactly the same but they don't take GI parts, and from what i have read they are crap. just curious as to what sets them apart.

Two things stand out to me:

1) Cheese grater handguard, which is popular on a lot of the post war commercially made M1 copies.

2) The stock is clearly made and finished more like a hunting rifle than the original GI stocks, which typically had a bit coarser wood grain, and were not finished with a gloss or semi gloss finish coat, but rather a BLO/wax finish.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Two things stand out to me:

1) Cheese grater handguard, which is popular on a lot of the post war commercially made M1 copies.

2) The stock is clearly made and finished more like a hunting rifle than the original GI stocks, which typically had a bit coarser wood grain, and were not finished with a gloss or semi gloss finish coat, but rather a BLO/wax finish.
    is there a way to tell weather it is the plainfield vs the iver johnson? from the picture that is. both models are post war and seem to have the same attributes, with the big difference being parts compatibility. just curious

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks for your help on this guys. I was able to obtain all the information I needed to identify the guns. I went by my friends company today and took a look at them. I must say, for being stored in an attic for more than 20 years, they are all in pristine condition. I was so enamored when I saw them, he told me I could have all of them! :rockwoot: OK, that was a lie.:D

He decided to keep the Enfield, but I will be putting the rest in the classifieds, along with a Ruger 10-22. Thanks again for all the help.

Top Bottom