• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nwihiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2018
    Lake County
    Currently reading Katanga 1960-63 by Christopher Othen and Days of Rage by Bryan Burrough.

Katanga is about the nation that broke away from the newly-independent Republic of Congo (now Democratic Republic of Congo) in the early 60s. Involves a lot of Warren Zevon-esque, African mercenary stuff if you're into that sort of thing. If you don't want to read the book, the Netflix movie Siege of Jadotville is pretty good and takes place during the conflict in Katanga although it doesn't give as comprehensive a view of the conflict.
    Days of Rage is about various domestic terrorist groups in the 70s and all the bombings and other crimes they carried out. Features Barrack's friend Bill Ayers in a less-than-favorable light but I won't spoil it for you.

I'm almost done with Katanga and about halfway through Days of Rage and so far I have learned a lot from both. Both are pretty good reads so far if you are into 20th Century history, especially stuff that doesn't get a whole lot of attention.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've restarted "Wolf Hall"...

Half way through and I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it or not. It just feels....dense. It's like a more complicated Pillars of the Earth with a more educated vocabulary and many similarly named characters. Maybe because I know the ending for the various story lines, unless this historical fiction veers wide of history, but I've not really connected to or cared about any of the characters. I'm not sure I'll finish the novel, and I can count on one hand the number of books I've started and not seen to the end.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I’m in the 8th book of the Jane Yellowrock series. Really good series. Urban Fantasy series dealing with Vampires, werewolves, witches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I’m in the 8th book of the Jane Yellowrock series. Really good series. Urban Fantasy series dealing with Vampires, werewolves, witches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just caught up on the Monster Hunter International series from Larry Correia and one of the later books was an anthology that included a Jane Yellowrock story. It was one of the better chapters in the anthology.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I read that anthology as well, and I already had the first book. So after reading the short story I decided to give the series a try. I have not been disappointed so far.

My wife blew through the audiobooks in a few weeks.

I have the latest MHI book by Corria & Ringo to read.

Plus the latest Dresden Files as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    2Q==

Great book...Been reading it on weekends up at the farm during bourbon sipping hour just before dark...I've always been fascinated by the Burr Conspiracy and George Rogers Clark's role in it...Also Southern, Ohio, Southern Indiana and Kentucky's role in it....

We just needed New Orleans and if we had to attack Spain to get it well...You know...Got to get that whiskey down river some how right???

great book for history nerds...A lot of intrigue...

3c6a94a4-0b31-4eb5-90b0-dfd231f155dc_1.f2111b7cafa58acaa5081c05f0c4a190.jpeg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just finished The Great Commanders; General Grant (1897 limited edition, copy #157/1000). On Teddy Roosevelt's 4 volume set The Winning of the West. Interested to start The Impending Crisis of the South, H. R. Helper, 1857; should be an interesting perspective on the doorstep of the Civil War.

Top Bottom