• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Now that I'm 50, there's a law or some sort that I have to learn about Churchill. I have just finished "The Splendid and the Vile" by Erik Larson. This covers specifically, the 1st year of Churchill's Prime Ministership which roughly coincides with the worst of the Blitz. It was very good. The beginning when the various players are being introduced is a bit of a slog, but well worth it.

Long story short- our modern culture in one giant pansy-fest.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Selected Stories by Anton Checkhov.

Was reading Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell. Had to put it down and take a break because it is so graphically depressing.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am surprised! I had this group pegged more as a Marvel or DC crowd! :p
    I used to like both equally but they're both too woke now.

I just finished Atheist Delusions by David Bentley Hart. I'm looking forward to starting The Brothers Karamazov. Eventually I'll get back to A Storm of Swords, but I'm finding that series a bit of a slog.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm looking forward to starting The Brothers Karamazov.

Depending on what translation you have, it can be kind of a slog. (I'm assuming you aren't reading it in Russian). I read it nearly 20 years ago, but honestly it was my least favorite Dostoyevsky.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Just finished
    The guns of John Moses Browning by Gorenstein.
    Fascinating story and the glimpses into the numbers in WWII are staggering.
    There are some interesting stories of the heroics of our troops and the use of Browning weapons at the end.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Depending on what translation you have, it can be kind of a slog. (I'm assuming you aren't reading it in Russian). I read it nearly 20 years ago, but honestly it was my least favorite Dostoyevsky.
    The problem I have with Dostoyevsky/Tolstoy/etc. is the names. I've tried reading them but have a hard time keeping the names straight. Know of any translations that change the peoples names to Joe, Scott, Tim, Amy,...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I read Ben Coes series of books. I thought they were pretty good. They are in the style of Vince Flynn, Brad Thor...

I just started trying to read Andy Maslen... so far it is a bit of a slog.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So I watched Dune (the new one) and loved it, immediately downloaded the book and read it in four days absolutely amazing book and I am still astounded it was written in 1965! (Fun fact the Star Wars term "Parsec" appears in Dune). Then read the second book and lost a lot of enthusiasm but finished the book as I wanted to finish Paul's story.

Currently trying to read the third book (that I have read is better than the second) but am having major motivation issues as I just don't care about the characters much anymore.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So I watched Dune (the new one) and loved it, immediately downloaded the book and read it in four days absolutely amazing book and I am still astounded it was written in 1965! (Fun fact the Star Wars term "Parsec" appears in Dune). Then read the second book and lost a lot of enthusiasm but finished the book as I wanted to finish Paul's story.

Currently trying to read the third book (that I have read is better than the second) but am having major motivation issues as I just don't care about the characters much anymore.

:rofl:
    not a star wars term

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I read and loved Dune as a teenager. It wasn't until I thought back on it as an adult that I recognized the Marxist themes.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Huck Finn...as originally written by Sam Clemens.

Not long ago, the censors came out. I picked up the original in cases.

Top Bottom