What are you smoking or What do you enjoy smoking (Pipe & Cigar Thread)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    Has anyone ordered from CigarOne Montefortuna or Ihavana? They claim to have legit cubans and became very interested in them. I had a couple MonteCristos from a CDO up here in Munster which were good and wanted to go up a notch to cubans. I cross checked with cigaranalysis and found a couple listed under authentic shops. Without being able to tell if they are paid to have them listed, I wanted to get community feedback. Doing as much homework as I can before making a move on them.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Cubans are legal now. But from what others have said, they are not what they used to be or the other countries have become so much better.

With that being said, don't let that discourage you. Take a chance and see if they are any good. Lord knows everyone has a different pallet.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have learned that I suck maintaining a humidor. The stuff I bought online in bulk sucks now because I lack the time and patience to maintain at a high level. This quarantine has prompted me to burn sticks I have had way to long and they are past prime. I will continue to burn up old stock and will not replace. I will stock up for the coming market disruption but no further.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have learned that I suck maintaining a humidor. The stuff I bought online in bulk sucks now because I lack the time and patience to maintain at a high level. This quarantine has prompted me to burn sticks I have had way to long and they are past prime. I will continue to burn up old stock and will not replace. I will stock up for the coming market disruption but no further.

Even if they gitvdry you can bring em back to life with a little care

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have been at 70% for over 6 weeks and the outer leaf is still dry even though they are decently soft. What should I do further?

This isn't an issue I've ran into, so I cant tell you how to fix it. However this next bit of advice is uncivilized and I'll probably be made fun of for it.

But if I come across a cigar that's gotta dry skin. Before I punch it, I'll rest that end on my tongue for a few minutes so it gets moist, or I'll put that end in a cap of mead for a bit then cut it so I don't split the end pinching it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was told that hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.
    I use a couple of those tubes and a jar with those gel beads in it in my humidor. You have to keep distilled water in them. Then my humidor lid has the standard humidifier that you have to add the humidity fluid alternated with distilled water. I never have much problem.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    View attachment 86893
    Here's my humidor when I first got it. Has I said I've upgraded the humidifier since.

My dad found the bottom part very distressed at a yard sale. He took it to his wood shop and repaired it. He then built the top humidor part. He stained it all to match and it was my Xmas gift that year. I probably have about 75 cigars in it now with plenty of room to add more.

This is the humidifier I use.

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/hydra-sm-electronic-humidifier-humidification/1489908/

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Hello,

I don't smoke, but while I was on a vacation in the Caribbean a month and a half ago and bought some Cubans to give to some buddies, as a gift, and was wondering the best way to store them for hopefully not too much longer without having a humidor. I would also be interested if there are any restrictions/tips in shipping them to some friends that live farther away. I have held the cigars, so far, in their box and in a plastic bag with a separate plastic bag inside the big bag with a mildly damp paper towel that I have replaces every week or so. I was just wondering if there was a better way and if I can legally ship them and if so the best method to do so.

They are Monte Cristo No 2s, if that makes any difference.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I hope you are using distilled water. If not you run the risk of mold. Once they start to mold they are trash.

If you have a big enough Tupperware box you could put them in there with a shot of distilled water. That would become a makeshift humidor. As far as shipping goes. I would imagine you can ship them anyway you like. But I'm not a lawyer so what do i know.

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    Go to a local cigar shop, get a Boveda 70% packet and put the cigars and the Boveda in a 1 gal Ziptop bag and they are good for a while, I would "referesh" the air in the bag from time to time though, OR clean a Tupperware container the size that you store shoes in with distilled water and put in the Boveda and seal up. Straight distilled water will get to 99% humidity in a sealed container and destroy your sticks fast. They will swell at the foot, split, and then mold ( in that order). Boveda packs maintain a constant humidity RH via a chemical salt additive in the pack. They are cheap, accurate, and require NO input from you.

Last edited:

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    My setup is based on years of trial and error and research.
    I have a Newaire cc300 with about 250 sticks inside that has about 5 pounds of Crystal Litter Pearls in it- in aquarium filter media bags. I also added an additional computer cooling fan to move the air gently inside the cabinet and augment the cabinet's own fan. The crystal cat litter is IDENTICAL to Cigar Beads brand media at 1/10th the cost. There is a TON of info on the interwebs about it. My guide to Kitty litter (KL) humidification | Stogie Friends
    I also have a 100 Quart cooler for the bulk of the stash that I get on Cigarbid and then trade/smoke. I use the litter bags in it too. With 2 computer fans to move the air. I open it to Refresh it every week or so.
    There are some serious plusses to using crystal litter:
    1. Controls humidity by Adsorbing and Absorbing (moisture in and out) to maintain a steady RH.
    2. NO GLYCOL AFTERTASTE. I am one of those people that can tell if you have that glycol juice or gel in your humi. Crystals have ZERO taste effect.
    3. Cheap. Nuff said.
    4. Once they are charged, they regulate for months. I use large size aquarium filter media bags, and each "humibag" holds about 2 pounds of crystals.
    5. THEY ABSORB AND HOLD AMMONIA!!!! This last part is the best. Newly rolled cigars start to age and offgas ammonia, and then after about 3-6 months post roll, they go into a post roll "aging" and again offgas small amounts of ammonia while they age. This is what Cuban cigar lovers call the "sick period" where most cubans taste terrible if they don't have sufficient post roll aging on them. Since the crystals have the benefit of absorbing and trapping ammonia, they will keep your aging sticks from contaminating the taste of your AGED sticks. You can keep that newly bought OpusX next to that 4 year aged God of Fire without jacking it up. (OpusX cigars are NOTORIOUS for being underaged and taste like crap new compared to 1 year old)

Be smart and do the research, this is NOT Kitty Litter (clay) cat litter, and even in the Crystal brands, some have SCENT crystals which will ruin your cigars, but with a little research, and some common sense, you can get great results with little effort.
    I recharge the media bags about once every 3-4 months and that's it (I make sure I recharge just before winter as we have a wood stove that dries the house air out).

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    For you Cigars Int'l guys, they have a "Legends" Drew Estate
    brand
    that is a smooth, easy smoke. Sweet wrapper and quite mild but tasty IMO-and I'm a Maduro guy. Enjoyed one last night grilling ribeyes in the cold, crappy weather.

Highly recommended if you like a sweet, mild smoke.

My images disappeared:dunno:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom