• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Weird. I just went out to admire my shovelling job. It's so cold that there are little ice crystals growing straight off the bared concrete. No, these are not snowflakes that have fallen from above. These are snowflakes that are growing by the hour right off the pavement from whatever moisture they can lock up straight outta the air.

Now that is cold...........My nose was growing some of those about an hour ago. Neighbors car needed help. Got it started and 10 minutes later had to pull it out of a drift. We drove it back to her house. Son took her to the drug store in the 4WD

Irt is freaking cold outside.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As someone that has driven a very fun offroad truck through a snow and ice storm with 33" mud tires, it can happen very quickly and easily. MTs/mudders/most ATs aren't made for snow and ice. If his tires didn't have lugs that cleaned themselves as they roll, it is just like driving on bald tires.

Think mud or sand dragster.....Spin the tires and they will sling the snow out of the lugs. Worked for me with 40 mudders.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Same here, and Im stock height, stock tire size. WK, the thing is a monster in this stuff. I was running through and up and over 3 foot plow banks last night just for the heck of it. Love the thing. I was driving to work today and saw a lifted wrangler on ~35" MTs spin out on 70 westbound and thought "how does that happen with a competent driver?"
    A jeeps short wheel base is awesome for crawling over rocks and through trails, but it makes it much less controllable in a slide. A long bed pickup is much easier to regain control of if you don't flip out and slam on the brakes, the longer the wheelbase, the more forgiving it is.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    YEAAAA!! It's snowing again in Kokomo right now! Wed. Jan. 8 1:26 pm

The more the merrier! You could almost see some section of blacktop through the ice. Can't have that!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I typically wait until the storm is done to start removing snow, especially when they are calling for blowing/drifting. Doing it once sucks. Doing it several times sucks several times more. I did go out Sunday afternoon while the kids played in the snow and got some of the first few inches of wet stuff off that was going to freeze solid (no risk of it blowing back in). Monday I got up, put the truck (F-150) in 4wd, and went to work. Roads were plowed off, so just had to get through the ~8" on the driveway (and bust through the ~30" near the street where the plows pushed it over). Easiest commute ever, hardly anyone on the road.... spent about 90 minutes monday night clearing drive and walks. Not near as cleaned off as my ocd neighbors who did the whole "clean it off every hr" thing, but we can get in/out and that's what matters (you'd probably still want 4wd to get into my drive, or get a good running start!). will warm up this weekend and be a memory anyway. Shovel, no blower.

I tried to get a friend who's into crossfit to come shovel me out as his WOD, but he didn't respond to my message......

-rvb

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There are some younger guys on a Kubota tractor, with a loader and rear blade, rolling around the neighborhood today. Looks like they are making a couple of extra bucks here and there. That tractor is making short work of it!

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    If the snow is light I will shovel it myself. If it's like this last batch I hope the neighbor across the street with the BASB (big ass snow blower) is home. He really helped out myself and the neighbors this last blast. I filled up his gas can and bought him some beer. Good dude.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I usually wait til it stops before I hit the shovel, or if the sun is out I may expose some blacktop to encourage melting. Or sometimes I call the guy with the plow. And sometimes I wait fer an early Spring. You?

Just noticed this. My snow removal tactics are, if it's less than 3 inches, let it set because tomorrow or the next day, it'll probably be gone. If it's more than that, hand the wife the shovel and don't let her back in until she's finished.

(And find a good place to hide if she ever reads that.)

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Just noticed this. My snow removal tactics are, if it's less than 3 inches, let it set because tomorrow or the next day, it'll probably be gone. If it's more than that, hand the wife the shovel and don't let her back in until she's finished.

(And find a good place to hide if she ever reads that.)

Give me her e-mail. And she can borrow my shovel.....

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Give me her e-mail. And she can borrow my shovel.....

I just know she somehow knows I said that. I have this strange feeling I'm going to burn in hell now. Or get hit with a shovel. When I get home I think I'll volunteer to clean off the driveway. We don't have any snow but maybe the offer will fix the universe.

:tinfoil:

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Finally got tired of waiting for other or having to rely on others to take care of my drive. (300'+ with round about) took some of my Christmas money and ordered a plow set up for the Yamaha rhino. 72" Eagle plow with 3000# winch with a quick connect. Now even when I am on duty at the firehouse someone can at least get a good start on it.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I use shovel,polaris 325 4x4 with blade, skid loader with snow plow,or a white 2-60 with a loader and grader blade. If the snow gets to deep my neighbor has a 8 ft 2 stage 3 pt. snow blower I can put on the tractor.I have used it once in 20 years.I plowed drive and parking area,3 neighbors drives .Took me 3 and half hours .Wife had a beef roast ready when i came in ,pure heaven.Our drive is 1250 ft garage to road.

Did the Polaris 325 do any good? Mine wont work if its more than 2" of whispy powder, anything else is too heavy and the 325 is too light.

Top Bottom