• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I am quickly learning who's advice to take and who's to ignore. I asked about a product that wanted to learn about, so I asked a question. There are ways of explaining why a product is bad without being a jerk. Enjoy the ignore list.

Lighten up Francis. You asked a question and got good advice along with the obligatory smart a$$ comments and funny pics. You have almost 1400 posts, you should know by now, that's how INGO rolls.:twocents:

At least you got the good advice BEFORE before the snide, condescending remarks. It's usually the other way around.:D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Don't underestimate the functionality a good holster will give you.

In addition to carrying your handgun comfortably, and safely (AD/ND, retention, etc.), it's a place to put your gun when you need 2 hands (does it allow one handed reholstering?), it can act like a third hand if you have to do one-handed manipulations, etc. Think about it.

The clip provides none of this functionality. It's low profile and cheap, that's about it. (And frankly, it's not as cheap as marginally better alternatives like the Raven Vanguard mentioned.).

Of course, not every holster has to meet all the criteria. I understand that. There are places for compromise (ex. deep concealment, BUG carry, etc).

But for a primary carry method, my advice would be to get the most functionality you can. Think of a handgun and holster as a system.

OP, did you mention your intended use for the product, or did I miss that? Knowing for what/how you intend to use it can result in better/more specific advice.

Last edited:

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Don't underestimate the functionality a good holster will give you.

In addition to carrying your handgun comfortably, and safely (AD/ND, retention, etc.), it's a place to put your gun when you need 2 hands (does it allow one handed reholstering?), it can act like a third hand if you have to do one-handed manipulations, etc. Think about it.

The clip provides none of this functionality. It's low profile and cheap, that's about it. (And frankly, it's not as cheap as marginally better alternatives like the Raven Vanguard mentioned.).

Of course, not every holster has to meet all the criteria. I understand that. There are places for compromise (ex. deep concealment, BUG carry, etc).

But for a primary carry method, my advice would be to get the most functionality you can. Think of a handgun and holster as a system.

OP, did you mention your intended use for the product, or did I miss that? Knowing for what/how you intend to use it can result in better/more specific advice.
    I did not mention my intentions to use it at all, I wasnjust wondering what people thought about it. Which is why I get bothered when people say I should not be carrying because i make bad choices. I had not made a choice.
    it just seemed like an interesting item.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Lighten up Francis. You asked a question and got good advice along with the obligatory smart a$$ comments and funny pics. You have almost 1400 posts, you should know by now, that's how INGO rolls.:twocents:

At least you got the good advice BEFORE before the snide, condescending remarks. It's usually the other way around.:D

I should not own or carry a gun because I asked a question. That comment would bother most people.
    I truly appreciate the advice I got. The picture is funny. I don't care about that. I just didn't like the comment. When people ask me questions, I don't talk down to them.
    I agree this happens a lot on ingo. I just sometimes wish it didn't happen quite so often.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Those started on Kel Tec's. :laugh:

Your right. I remember seeing one years ago on a small keltec. The gunshop employee told us it was a money clip. Which considering the size of the gun, seemed possible. If you were getting robbed it might work, or you might be handing over your weapon at the same time as your money

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks to everybody who was able to give advice without snider remarks. I will not be purchasing this product. Its to risky. I will stick with regular holsters. Thanks again.

A quality holster and a good belt make carrying a gun safer and more comfortable.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I think I am seeing a pattern to the responses.
    Regular holster then?
    O well. I was hoping to solve the problem as cheap as possible. Kydex here I come.

You can make your own Kydex holster for about $5 worth of materials if you have a razor knife, drill, dremel or grinder wheel, 2 pieces of foam and an oven. Plus its fun :D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I did not mention my intentions to use it at all, I wasnjust wondering what people thought about it. . . . it just seemed like an interesting item.

Just realize it's more difficult to offer good advice without knowing the intended use.

In this case, for just about every situation in which I think using what I'll call a "minimal carry method" on the belt would be called for, something like the Raven Vanguard would be superior to the clip. ==>> http://www.ravenconcealment.com/image/cache/data/8265538944_11c5fa98a6_b-500x500.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks to everybody who was able to give advice without snider remarks. I will not be purchasing this product. Its to risky. I will stick with regular holsters. Thanks again.

Snider? That high school is down the road from me! :):

Don't be hurt - I'm not trying to be me, just honest. :ingo:

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    alot of good ideas. but i wont know what i want till i decide what gun to buy. right now its a toss up between m&p 40, gen 4 glock 22, and m&p 45c.
    i am sure i want a iwb, i just dont know which one.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    alot of good ideas. but i wont know what i want till i decide what gun to buy. right now its a toss up between m&p 40, gen 4 glock 22, and m&p 45c.
    i am sure i want a iwb, i just dont know which one.

All fine choices for a carry gun, although a lot of people do find the compacts easier to carry. So, for the Glock that would be the 23 rather than the 22 for example. Depends on one's physique. Small differences in the dimensions of a handgun can sometimes make a surprisingly significant difference when it comes to carry.

Holsters are a personal kind of thing. Again, depends how one is built, how one dresses, etc. FWIW, I use a Comp-Tac Infidel every day for IWB.

Enjoy the journey of figuring it all out. Don't count on getting it right the first time. That doesn't seem to be the norm. Most folks try a few things out before they settle on what works best for them.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    All fine choices for a carry gun, although a lot of people do find the compacts easier to carry. So, for the Glock that would be the 23 rather than the 22 for example. Depends on one's physique. Small differences in the dimensions of a handgun can sometimes make a surprisingly significant difference when it comes to carry.

Holsters are a personal kind of thing. Again, depends how one is built, how one dresses, etc. FWIW, I use a Comp-Tac Infidel every day for IWB.

Enjoy the journey of figuring it all out. Don't count on getting it right the first time. That doesn't seem to be the norm. Most folks try a few things out before they settle on what works best for them.

^^^This.

FWIW, Ive owned a G22 for awhile but always thought it was "too big" to carry concealed IWB...until recently at least. For the past week or so, ive been carrying my G22 in a Comptac Minotaur (thanks to a fellow INGOer who was generous enough to allow me to test drive his) and have been pleasantly surprised...its not only extremely comfortable, it conceals well with a loose fitting shirt/jacket. This is my first experience with the hybrid-style IWB holsters, but so far i like it a lot...i would recommend looking into them.

That being said, if i had the choice between the G22 or the G23, id go 23...the shorter grip length and barrel would make the concealment/comfort that much better. If it helps, im 6'-5" and about 210.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Must be a lot of new,young gun owners on this website...Richard,their advice is good,holster is best. For many years though,their have been variations of the same idea as a clipdraw.I have carried a small revolver with the grip clip type of thing for many hours in years past. (Barami brand...or something like that.) People used to refer to this method as Mexican carry,I believe.It is not a great idea,but if you are going out to your car or something,in the nighttime...it is better than leaving your weapon in the house.

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    Realistically there isn't much difference in a holster covering your trigger and the material of your pants and belt covering the trigger. I don't know what some of these guys on here have going on with their pants but I don't own a single pair that would come even remotely close to snagging on the trigger of my gun and causing it to fire. Don't take that to mean that I don't care about safety, I do, but sometimes even gun owners can get a little worked up and worry more than they need to (just look at the comment section of a YouTube video if the uploader doesn't safety check their weapon for the camera :rolleyes: or comments on a picture when a model has her finger on the trigger of an obviously fake gun). Some people pocket carry and never have any problems, including myself occasionally, so safety seems more to rely on the responsibility of the gun owner than the equipment used. Clips are fine in some instances, but in the long run less practical.

With that said, here is why I support wearing a holster:

1. Clips will wear down the fabric of your pants after repeated use. I've got a couple pairs of jeans with worn spots on the pockets from sliding the clip of a knife on and off the same place on the fabric every day.

2. The sharp edges or your gun will wear down the fabric of your pants. I used to carry my EDC in an IWB holster where the front sight stuck out the bottom. I know have jeans with little holes worn in the hips from the front sight of my gun.

3. Holsters keep the front sight of your gun from snagging on your pants when you draw.

4. Holsters protect your gun from the sweat, dirt, and oil on your skin. The metal parts of your gun need to be kept away from your body if possible to prevent corrosion.

5. This is my personal opinion, and has no practical value, but wearing a holster makes you look more like a responsible gun owner and less like some kind of thug. When it comes to dealing with those who don't carry or the police appearance can have a big effect on how people respond when they see you carrying.

So there you have my opinion. Get a holster because is practical and respectable.

Last edited:

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville

^^^This.

FWIW, Ive owned a G22 for awhile but always thought it was "too big" to carry concealed IWB...until recently at least. For the past week or so, ive been carrying my G22 in a Comptac Minotaur (thanks to a fellow INGOer who was generous enough to allow me to test drive his) and have been pleasantly surprised...its not only extremely comfortable, it conceals well with a loose fitting shirt/jacket. This is my first experience with the hybrid-style IWB holsters, but so far i like it a lot...i would recommend looking into them.

That being said, if i had the choice between the G22 or the G23, id go 23...the shorter grip length and barrel would make the concealment/comfort that much better. If it helps, im 6'-5" and about 210.

sorry guys no 23 for me. my hands do not fit it. the finger bumps land directly on my fingers. rather uncomfortable. i just cant make myself take a sander to a new pistol. and my wife would kill me if i did. the Gen 4 22 fit my hand like a dream. then i look at the price and wake up.

Top Bottom