What brand of Mace should I get my wife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Before I get the buy her a gun stuff...my wife works for the county government in a county building: NO GUNS. I need something for her to use when she is walking in and out of her building. Thoughts? Must be compact and user friendly.:dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How about an actual mace?

WE-Studded-Mace.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Take a look at the Kimber system. It costs more than most of the little lipstick size/keychain size cans of mace but it shoots out a dual stream and is pretty much idiot proof. My experiments with most of the small cans of mace is that they shoot out a small stream or small spray . . . which in a stress situation requires good aim.

If you don't like the Kimber system then look for one of the medium size cans (they are still only about 4 to 5 ounces) that have the FOG or WIDE SPRAY heads on them. If I am going to mace anyone, I want to make sure I hit them and hit them good. Lots of people (druggies) are not affected by mace/pepper sprays unless you really blast them with a good soaking spray so the more the merrier!!!

Just stay away from the tiny spray cans. JMO

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Take a look at the Kimber system. It costs more than most of the little lipstick size/keychain size cans of mace but it shoots out a dual stream and is pretty much idiot proof. My experiments with most of the small cans of mace is that they shoot out a small stream or small spray . . . which in a stress situation requires good aim.

If you don't like the Kimber system then look for one of the medium size cans (they are still only about 4 to 5 ounces) that have the FOG or WIDE SPRAY heads on them. If I am going to mace anyone, I want to make sure I hit them and hit them good. Lots of people (druggies) are not affected by mace/pepper sprays unless you really blast them with a good soaking spray so the more the merrier!!!

Just stay away from the tiny spray cans. JMO

Is this what you are talking about?

That's pretty cool and not expensive at all!

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Ya know, I would have to think that any brand of pepper spray is going to burn like hell. So, with that in mind, isn't it really all about the device? I would suggest looking for something that's comfortable in her hand, simple function (points in the right direction quickly and easily under stress) and small enough to fit into a pocket. Remember, it's not a cell phone... bells and whistles aren't required.

Culpepper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Indiana
    I would recommend the style below. This style allows the button to be pushed only if it is pointed towards the target. The button is covered by a spring loaded cover which stops accidental sprays. The typical key chain style will get the "safety" accidentally knocked off .

images%5C28132.jpg

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I recommend Defense Technologies OC spray. Some Fox OC products can melt plexi-glass. Defense Technologies is IMO the best. There are 3 kinds of deployment: stream, fog, and foam. The foam they can take off and throw right back at you, the fog if its hit by any type of wind it will spread the fog real quick (and right back at you if you spray into the wind.) The stream is more concentrated, but you have to hit them better. The stream will contaminate the area if there is any type of wind but not as bad as the fog.

Also remember that OC is a delayed reaction from when they are hit. It first feels like cold water then increasingly starts to burn. When in the mouth it feels like your lips and tongue start to go numb. OC can be very effective on certain individuals.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I would recommend the style below. This style allows the button to be pushed only if it is pointed towards the target. The button is covered by a spring loaded cover which stops accidental sprays. The typical key chain style will get the "safety" accidentally knocked off .

images%5C28132.jpg

Exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. Great example Culpepper!!!

Alerion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Bloomington

I just wanted to point out that there is one large difference between the Kimber system and the cans of Mace. That is...there's no can! The Kimber system is not propelled by compressed gas. It has something similar to a blank inside each cartridge. Also, it doesn't fire both streams at the same time. It fires one at a time like a single trigger double barrel shotgun.

Advantages:
    There's no pressurized gas to leak. It will always fire at full force.
    That also gives it both more range and chemical than most can type units.
    The system does not lose effectiveness over time. (I have a can of mace that's about 25 years old. What are the chances that sucker is going to work if I need it?)

Disadvantages:
    Because it is fired with an explosive charge, it may be restricted in some areas.
    There are two full power shots period No option for a little squirt to scare off a dog or to avoid contaminating an entire room.
    It is not refillable. It wouldn't be a problem if I used both shots at once. But I'd hate to throw it away and buy a new one if it still had a shot remaining.

Overall, I haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak, on getting one but the next time I'm ordering something else online, and they have the Kimbers on sale, one will probably be coming to my house!

Top Bottom