What brand of Mace should I get my wife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Kimber makes a dedicated OC type spray device, and wonder of all wonders,

TASER makes what they call the "personal" TASER. It works like the coppers X-26 but smaller. Last known price about $300.00.

If you know an ISP guy, find out where they get what was called "Freeze."
    Freeze was a combination of OC and CS. Worked REALLY well according to reports that I heard.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    The strongest possible you can we use 5.5% MK-4 at work and its freakin ridiculous. On the stream vs. fog issue I can say that from my experience the fog is not nearly as bad as the stream. a 2 second burst in a line across the eyes from the stream really does the trick. Took about 5 seconds to kick in on me and I was done for haha.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    The Freeze ++ will take the breath out of everybody in the immediate area. People who have had both Freeze ++ and Defense Tech. MK-3 applied to them most would rather have the Freeze ++.

Also on the Taser C3 it will give a 30 sec immobilization. If it is a legitimate shoot and you drop it and run (like they recommend) you can send a copy of the police report to Taser Int. and they will replace it for free. I can not get my wife to carry a gun, but every time we go to Gander Mtn. at Castleton I ask if she wants a Taser.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would recommend the style below. This style allows the button to be pushed only if it is pointed towards the target. The button is covered by a spring loaded cover which stops accidental sprays. The typical key chain style will get the "safety" accidentally knocked off .

images%5C28132.jpg

Just my opinion, but that is exactly the type that I have found to be too small to be effective. My former company distributed those small keychain type canisters with the safety lids. I've seen many girls who have lost those inside their purses. Further, most of those spray a reasonably thin stream, or even a pinpoint stream. I'd much more suggest something that sprays a wide stream, a heavy fog, or a gel.

I also suggest the 3 to 8 ounce canisters not the 1/2 ounce canisters.
    SABFBAD04_1.jpg

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Just my opinion, but that is exactly the type that I have found to be too small to be effective. My former company distributed those small keychain type canisters with the safety lids. I've seen many girls who have lost those inside their purses. Further, most of those spray a reasonably thin stream, or even a pinpoint stream. I'd much more suggest something that sprays a wide stream, a heavy fog, or a gel.

I also suggest the 3 to 8 ounce canisters not the 1/2 ounce canisters.
    SABFBAD04_1.jpg

I believe the size you are thinking of that are too small are like this:

11gr/.4oz stream unit sprays 6-12 feet. Contains 5, one second bursts.
    420_252_80185_MaceTripleActionLeatherPlus_standalone_1.jpg

The following cans are in order of size. I would also recommend the same can that Culpepper does.

The 18gr/.64 oz stream unit sprays 8-12 feet. Contains 10, one second bursts.
    420_252_80136_MaceTripleActionPersonal_standalone_1.jpg

Size: 4.25" x 1.38". Range: 8-12 Feet. Spray: Ballistic Stream. Spring loaded safety cap. 46 grams/1.62 oz. 20 one second bursts.
    Size commonly carried by LE. Also called the MK-III
    420_252_3025_TakeDownOC10MKIIIStream_standalone_1.jpg

Size: 6.25" x 1.50". Range: 8-12 Feet. Spray: Ballistic Stream. Spring loaded flip-top safety cap. 40 one second bursts.
    85 grams/3oz Carried in correction facilities. Also called the MK-IV
    420_252_4005_TakeDownOC55MKIVStream_standalone_1.jpg

And if you are Dog the Bounty Hunter:
    Size: 9.00" x 2.50". Range: 15-25 Feet. Spray: Fogger. Pistol Grip Dispenser. Multiple Safeties. 25 one second bursts. 520 grams/18oz Also called the MK-IX
    420_252_9035_TakeDownOCCSMKIXFogger_standalone_1.jpg

I would not recommend any one carrying a 3 to 8 oz can for personal defense. The can would be too large. Do not worry about the number of 1 second burst. Once a can is used, no matter the amount, I would replace it. All OC is only good for 5 yrs. Do not leave any cans in your car in the summer, you may return to a nice surprise that will make the ride home less than enjoyable. As far as the can being too hard to find in a purse, I would highly recommend they carry the can in their hand while walking from point A to point B. This allows them to react quicker and have their keys already in their hand to enter their vehicle. Buy two can so the end user can practice and see the effects of overspray. The person spraying the can will be effected somewhat by the OC, better to find out how bad prior to an actual use.

As far as stream type (this is my opinion and what I have witness during deployments of the different sprays in training and field use) :

Thin Stream: Easy to aim, less cross contamination, less effected by wind, but it can be less effective is the subject is wearing glasses.

Wide Stream: Easy to hit target, but you will contaminate other items or people

Fog: Can not be aimed, effected greatly by the wind, and will contaminate everyone.

Foam/Gel: Easy to aim, stays where you spray it, not effected by the wind, sunglasses do not stop the effects. You can not throw the foam back at someone. The foam melts on contact. It covers the face completely. My personal choice.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    My personal experience is with First Defense, Fox and Freeze CS/OC. Defense sucks. It makes my eyes water and makes me sneeze. It does burn a bit. Freeze burns something awful and is like sucking your breath away. You literally cannot breathe. Fox is like unleashing the fires of Hell. Go with Fox. Whatever you choose...stay away from foams and fogs. I have personally had the foam thrown back at me. It doesn't come back as a foam...more like a thick liquid...but it can be used against you if they scoop it off themselves quickly enough. Fogs can blow right back on you. :twocents:

We went back to Defense because Fox was too wicked. :rolleyes: Well...that and the fact they may burst into flames if you Fox them then Tase them. :flamethrower:No comment.

o.c._max192w.jpg
    freeze.jpg
    dt5039.jpg

Last edited:

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    My personal experience is with Defense, Fox and Freeze. Defense sucks. It makes my eyes water and makes me sneeze. It does burn a bit. Freeze burns something awful and is like sucking your breath away. Fox is like unleashing the fires of Hell. Go with Fox. Whatever you choose...stay away from foams and fogs. :twocents: We went back to Defense because Fox was too wicked. :rolleyes: No comment.

o.c._max192w.jpg

Big +1 on Fox. That stuff is EFFECTIVE.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I inadvertently got some of the FOX on my hands and it burned like HELL for a good 4-5 hours , even after washing my hands for 20 minutes straight .
    And do NOT get your hands wet after having Fox on them then go urinate. baaaaaad...very bad...

There's another story...probably can't be told here. Let's just say if you get Fox on your face...you want to be careful where you put it for a couple of days. If it gets wet...it reactivates. ;) Enough said... :naughty:

And if that's still too graphic...please delete. No problem. Just a warning...not on the can.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    We carry Fox at our Sheriff's Department. It is indeed wicked. I had to get sprayed by it and it was the worst pain I've ever felt. It made me feel like I was going to die by not being able to breathe. Before Fox we carried Defense and it was weak.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Kimber guardian angel FTW

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWbyWgjgF54]YouTube - GuardianAngel Kimber Lifeact @ DefendingWomen.com part 3[/ame]

Top Bottom