What do do with ex wife's engagement ring.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Diamonds are overhyped, overpriced, and NOT rare. Seriously... how rare can they be when you can walk into any jewelry store or department store in the world and find hundreds of them?

I would keep the stone and sell the mount. Maybe have a pinky ring made with the stone. MAYBE.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You'll get scrap/melt for the gold, and almost nothing for a diamond. Diamonds are a scam; as much as they're made out to be valuable, they're not really rare. The value is inflated by the DeBeers monopoly. The Russians came with many 1/4 or so carat diamonds, trying to undersell the market. DeBeers took them into a vault the size of a small town, full of such diamonds and said something to the effect of "Think you can undersell us? We will bury you". The Russians relented.

Took mine to Moyer up in Westfield. If you want money, go Craigslist or maybe, you know, the Ingo classifieds.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Diamonds are a scam; as much as they're made out to be valuable, they're not really rare. The value is inflated by the DeBeers monopoly.

Biggest scam going on now is the chocolate diamonds. They took the dirty diamonds that they couldn't give away, normally used as tool grade for saws, now they are telling women that they are chocolate diamonds and are asking 100 times their value.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Biggest scam going on now is the chocolate diamonds. They took the dirty diamonds that they couldn't give away, normally used as tool grade for saws, now they are telling women that they are chocolate diamonds and are asking 100 times their value.

:):
    Yeah......LOL!.......prolly in'a ZZZ range color/clarity wise......IF they even GOT'a scale 'at bad......:):.......I've bought more'n my share......Tanzanite.....Ruby's.....all'at shizz......:):

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My ex took hers off and threw them across the room. I picked them up. A few weeks later, after I had moved out, she was bugging me to pay a $170 bill, don't remember what it was, anyhoo, I took the rings to a pawn shop, the dude asked what I would take for em', I asked for $170, and he agreed to it. I paid the bill.

she was really pissed when she found out how I paid that bill.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Guess I'm lucky, wife doesn't care much for jewelry which is good as I had nothing to buy an engagement ring with.:)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Did she give it back?

Personally I don't see things as cursed or bad luck. Do you have kids together? If so, I'd keep and offer to one of them if you don't need the money.

I was going to suggest a VooDoo Priestess and a chicken to start with but sounds like your luck is already improving.

I got rid of some jewelry and came out way ahead by separating the gold from the stones and selling separate. Don't expect near the retail price you paid for the ring.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Buy it at Jared. You get a 30 day return. If she won't come across in 30 days, she's not gonna. Take it back.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My ex took hers off and threw them across the room. I picked them up. A few weeks later, after I had moved out, she was bugging me to pay a $170 bill, don't remember what it was, anyhoo, I took the rings to a pawn shop, the dude asked what I would take for em', I asked for $170, and he agreed to it. I paid the bill.

she was really pissed when she found out how I paid that bill.

My hero.....:yesway:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There's like a 400% markup in jewelry. What you pay for jewelry at the store is way way way more than the actual stones and gold is worth. My wife used to make jewelry and still tinkers for friends and family.
    dont expect anything close to what you paid. The best option you have is to try and sell it on consignment or ebay. I'd stay far away from craigslist. Too many scammers, thieves, and wholesalers that wanna beat you up on your price because they want to double their money.
    Good luck

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    List it for trade in the classifieds for a gun or something else you are interested in. I'd think you would do better on trade here than selling it elsewhere. May take a bit but someone here getting engaged may be willing to trade some ammo or a gun, depending on the ring.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    List it for trade in the classifieds for a gun or something else you are interested in. I'd think you would do better on trade here than selling it elsewhere. May take a bit but someone here getting engaged may be willing to trade some ammo or a gun, depending on the ring.
    It's a sad day when a guy would trade his guns or ammo for an engagement ring.
    Start looking for the Castration Line signs at that point.

Top Bottom