• finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Oh come on people...

This is getting ridiculous.

Why is it almost every time someone new comes on here & asks a slightly off question everybody has to jump all over them & neg rep them.

Just answer the question to the best of your ability & cut the noobs some slack. Not everybody knows everything about guns, laws, etiquette, OC, CC etc. Not everybody who has been brainwashed by the anti-gun crowd is a troll, a communist or anti-American. How are they supposed to learn if they are derided into silence every time they ask a question or give a comment, no matter how wrong it is.

It looks like we're getting a rep because some people just want to be flaming a$$es.

ETA: If they are a Brady-bunch troll (highly doubtful) you guys are playing right into their hands by being obnoxious gun-owners ("See we were right all along. they are a bunch of unstable hot-heads"). Whatever happened to being ambassadors of the gun world?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Run cool water over affected area, wash with mild detergent, remember to dab and not wipe, and if you must wipe... go with the pores and not against. Most of all don't subject yourself to situations where you might get OC on you...

images

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Under what conditions would I call 911? Only If I am witnessing a crime. OC (or CC) isn't a crime.

Sounds like his gun was one of a few factors that gave you the heebie-jeebies. That's fine. I've had folks give me the creeps as well. Stay alert and stay safe. When they move on, you can relax.

Cops are too busy (around here, at least) to hold someone's hand and tell them everything is alright. They only respond to actual crimes.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    So let me ask the question again. What kind of behavior from someone OC'ing would lead you to call the cops? This question isn't about the particulars of my encounter this evening, it's a general question about the RESPONSIBILITY of OC'ers to behave in a way that is appropriate and non-threatening. What kind of behaviors would you consider to be over the line?

When the firearm leaves the holster while in public but not on the range, and not in obvious self defense. Furthermore, in the event that said firearm begins to move into the vicinity of someone for no reason, or at me, I would feel my life was threatened, and thus: Draw fast and shoot straight. Then call the police. If he was pointing it wife/kids/family, smoke a cigarette, then call the police.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I was standing right out in front of my apartment on the West side of Bloomington just before 11pm tonight, and three guys came walking down the sidewalk, talking loudly, one of them OC'ing a .38 in a cheap holster. .......

:n00b:

Yeah, I have night vision too and at 11 pm in Indiana the light is so bright
    I can tell what kind of gun a guy has on and how expensive his belt holster is.

What????.... I eat a lot of carrots........

Fellow INGOers I suspect the OP is a troll. Probably a buddy of the kid in the Guardian Angel thread. Even if he isn't this story is too ridiculous.

How did he know it was a .38? Exactly what kind of holster was it that was so cheap?

How could a free man confidently walking about be grounds to call the police?

Regardless I recommend heading to the ignore feature and adding this one.

What do you think?

I think Demo is right.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    When the firearm leaves the holster while in public but not on the range, and not in obvious self defense. Furthermore, in the even that said firearm becomes begins to move into the vicinity of someone for no reason, or at me, I would feel my life was threatened, and thus: Draw fast and shoot straight. Then call the police. If he was pointing it wife/kids/family, smoke a cigarette, then call the police.

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that you might wanna proofread this. :):

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Mr Williams,
    You seem to have some trouble reading. I didn't call the cops. Also, I'm not anti-gun, I carry all the time.

I simply haven't come across that many people open carrying in my neighborhood, and these men certainly weren't "pleasantly" wishing us a good evening.

So let me ask the question again. What kind of behavior from someone OC'ing would lead you to call the cops? This question isn't about the particulars of my encounter this evening, it's a general question about the RESPONSIBILITY of OC'ers to behave in a way that is appropriate and non-threatening. What kind of behaviors would you consider to be over the line?

Pointing the weapon at people, firing the weapon unneccesarily (into the air, at people or objects that did nothing to warrant said action) or any other action that would cause the weapon to discharge for any reason other than threat to human life. I'm sure there are other reasons but I've already given this thread more of my time than it deserves.

As Wesley Snipes said in Demolition Man, "You can't take away peoples right to be a$$holes!"

It "sounds" like you're predisposed to cause trouble for the sake of causing it, so what if the guy is a tool! The majority of the MWG calls discussed on here are the result of somebody who didn't like how the gunowner looked, smelled, coughed, walked, ate his cheeseburger, whatever. Not because they were being threatening in any other way than having a firearm on their hip.

Qusetion for LEO; How many MWG calls/year result in a real threat being eliminated vs. some busybody or nervous nellie trying to force their beliefs on others?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We have a winner!

Sometimes it's best to just ask a question and drop the situation/scenario when talking to some on INGO. They are obviously just as quick to judge you as you where to judge the person walking buy your residence. ................................

There you have it!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    ignore the gun; did the guys action rise to the level of needing police, if he did not have a gun?

If "bad" OC bothers you, maybe the guy did not know better.
    from what you quote him saying, I bet it was a young guy who just got his LTCH,
    maybe it would have been nice to strike up a conversation about it.
    "nice piece, is that a .380?"
    .. "what brand...?"

and so on. you might find he is a nice guy..

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If "bad" OC bothers you, maybe the guy did not know better.
    from what you quote him saying, I bet it was a young guy who just got his LTCH,
    maybe it would have been nice to strike up a conversation about it.
    "nice piece, is that a .380?"
    .. "what brand...?"

and so on. you might find he is a nice guy..

More than likely he was a loose cannon ready to point his wife/kids/family at you while smoke a cigarette.

The police should be involved. :twocents:

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    To the OP :

Did you happen to see the serial number on the weapon as well?

Maybe one of our LEO friends on INGO can run the number to make sure it comes back clean...

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Well, since most of you have figured out that I'm an anti-gun communist Brady Bunch troll who just came here to pick a fight, you can go ahead and move along to a new post somewhere.

Thank you to those who read the post and gave a polite and sincere answer.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Well, since most of you have figured out that I'm an anti-gun communist Brady Bunch troll who just came here to pick a fight, you can go ahead and move along to a new post somewhere.

Thank you to those who read the post and gave a polite and sincere answer.

Hey, you see things different...you spoke your mind and here we are. This thread will die. Hopefully now you are more secure with people OCing. If not, that's completely fine too. I promise over time you will learn on here that it's an okay thing.

:D

Last edited:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I've had the police called on me for OCing. I can tell you that I REALLY don't like when a police officer is nearly crapping himself while pointing a firearm at me because of a MWAG call.

It seems to me that the OP falls into the ignorant class of gun-owner. He owns firearms, and maybe even carries one. However, he sees something intrinsically "wrong" with OC for reasons that can't quite be articulated, are illogical on the face of them, or are flat-out lies.

When I first started carrying, can you guess what my first pistol was? Yep, you guessed it---a .38 Special. I had a mid-grade leather holster and yes I OC'd it. At the time I thought I had to be 21 to purchase a handgun, so I had the .38 gifted to me and that was my primary carry piece until I was able to upgrade. Did that incur some ridicule? Absolutely. I carry for personal protection and not to win any fashion or popularity contests. You never know what someone's situation might be. Personally, I think it's fantastic that the gentleman you had an issue with chose to carry, and carry openly.

I honestly don't understand why you would consider calling the police on an OCer. Yes, some OCers can be asses. Yes, some CCers can be asses. What's your point? I wouldn't consider calling the police on either unless a crime was in progress.

No disrespect intended, but it is gun-owners like the OP that cause more issues for supporters of the 2A than the Brady Bunch does.

Top Bottom