• ...and so much more!
  • WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Mr Williams,
    You seem to have some trouble reading. I didn't call the cops. Also, I'm not anti-gun, I carry all the time.

I simply haven't come across that many people open carrying in my neighborhood, and these men certainly weren't "pleasantly" wishing us a good evening.

So let me ask the question again. What kind of behavior from someone OC'ing would lead you to call the cops? This question isn't about the particulars of my encounter this evening, it's a general question about the RESPONSIBILITY of OC'ers to behave in a way that is appropriate and non-threatening. What kind of behaviors would you consider to be over the line?

The only reason I would call the cops on someone OCing is if they drew there weapon, fired apon me, missed me, and I was unable to kill them.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Well, since most of you have figured out that I'm an anti-gun communist Brady Bunch troll who just came here to pick a fight, you can go ahead and move along to a new post somewhere.

Thank you to those who read the post and gave a polite and sincere answer.

Well, it appears that someone was feeling charitable and fixed your rep for you.

I'll keep the rest of my thoughts to myself.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    My question is this-- under what circumstances would you call the cops on someone who was OC'ing?

What do you think?

I would only call the police if this person was doing something criminal or taking steps to do something criminal.

Being an ******* isn't a crime, nor is carrying an old .38 in an even older, cheap holster.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So let me ask the question again. What kind of behavior from someone OC'ing would lead you to call the cops? This question isn't about the particulars of my encounter this evening, it's a general question about the RESPONSIBILITY of OC'ers to behave in a way that is appropriate and non-threatening. What kind of behaviors would you consider to be over the line?

Same behaviours that would cause me to react that way if I thought they were not armed.

The only difference it would make to me is I would be a lot quicker to shoot them and any kind of warning or warning shot would be pretty much out of the question. As soon as I even sensed I didn't like them, I'd have my hand on my gun, ready to draw it, and securing my six o'clock.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I realize that many folks think that OC is a great idea. I don't. I realize that I'll get flak for saying that, but I do think that everyone has to agree that some OC crosses the line into being intimidating and inappropriate.

Might I humbly suggest a change of location? I hear that the police in Wisconsin hold your views regarding OC, and are currently bearing the brunt of a few lawsuits.

If the sight of a firearm being openly carried scares/intimidates you, I don't know what to tell you. :n00b::dunno::n00b:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What if he didn't have a gun on him? Would his response be enough for you to ask this question?

If I see someone OC I don't flinch unless they appear to be insane or might pull it out for no reason. They passed the same ISP background check and fingerprint check you did, and the police have way better things to do than harassing OC's.

Sit Rep 1
    So if a 18-20 year old something kid you recognise from a couple doors down cuts through your back yard, about sun down, from 3-4 doors down and then a couple yards over and walks in to their garage in the back yard would you call the cops?

1a
    Now a couple days later he does the same thing and he's carrying a gun this time?

Sit Rep 2
    You live on the corner lot, same neighborhood you do now. School bus stop is on your corner. A dozen kids of all ages get on the bus and then off the bus in the afternoon at your corner. The corner get's to be a hang out, meet up place. All legal, all on the public sidewalk and to the street curb.

Now after a year or so of this, older kids start meeting up at same place smoking a few butts, talking, a scooter comes and goes once in a while. They hang around and cut up out there until the street lights come on and after on the weekends. Nothing you know of that's illegal. Do you call the cops?

2a
    6 months later these same people are now strapped up and carrying guns. Guns in pockets, guns in waist bands, Glocks in cop holsters, no change in behaviour still just hanging on the corner smoking, talking, cutting up a little, scooters coming and going. They just all have guns now at the corner of your lot on the public side walk where you live with your wife and children.

Last edited:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    So if a 18-20 year old something kid you recognise from a couple doors down cuts through your back yard, about sun down, from 3-4 doors down and then a couple yards over and walks in to their garage in the back yard would you call the cops?

Now a couple days later he does the same thing and he's carrying a gun this time?

No. If he lingered in my yard I might be inclined to call the police. Regardless, I'd likely ask him not to cut through my lawn, and if he continued to do so I might consider calling the police. Not due to the OC of a firearm, but due to the trespassing. :twocents:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My question is this-- under what circumstances would you call the cops on someone who was OC'ing? I realize that many folks think that OC is a great idea. I don't. I realize that I'll get flak for saying that, but I do think that everyone has to agree that some OC crosses the line into being intimidating and inappropriate.

What do you think?

Some people think that other's free speech is intimidating and inappropriate. Others find racial minorities or new religions intimidating and innapropriate. We have recognized that certain rights like having the right to speak freely, to assemble, to peacably protest, to practice our religion and to arm ourselves are so precious and so important that we give them special protections under the law. You might not like that guy arming himself, you might not agree with his political thoughts, you might not like his religion or his ethnicity, you are free to keep your opinions no matter how racist or how bigoted they might be, but his rights are protected so that others can't take them away just because they might happen to disagree.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I would have to agree with most people on here. Unfortunately, we cannot have people arrested or interrogated for actions that personally offend us. If he did not take it out of his holster or wave it around carelessly, he did not do anything wrong. Can't take away people's guns for possible stupid things they may do with them later. Neither should we try:)

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Lets see if I can explain myself a little better here.

1. I agree that OC is a right that every gun owner has. I don't oppose OC.
    2. I don't ever OC myself, partly because of the town that I'm in, and also because I'm simply not comfortable drawing attention to myself. I do carry concealed everyday.
    3. Seeing someone OC doesn't scare me, but my SA does goes way up. Knowing that someone is carrying a handgun does make me pay more attention to where they are, and what they're doing.

The incident with the guy OC'ing right past my front door just got me thinking. I didn't call the cops, and I wasn't about to.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Man what would happen of he saw me carrying my gun muzzle down from the door to the car on those days where I am too lazy to wear a holster but am going for a drive where I won't be leaving the vehicle but still choose to be armed?

So glad he isn't my neighbor.

Just because someone looks shadey doesn't mean they are.

You call a cop if you are actually intimidated for teals not because your dork meter gets pegged.

Bad OC? Gimme a break more likely a case of the precognition police mentality rearing its prejudicial head here.

A gun on a person exposed or even in a hand not pointed deserves no more scrutiny than a wallet until the person in question acts threatening. Monitor as you see fit and respond based on the outcome. You might be watching the mwag instead of the real thug that the mwag is focused on.

I tell you if I get popped for OC because someone doesn't like my holster, attitude or salutations I am gonna be 5 types of pissed off monkey, true.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I think the OP did the right thing, upped his SA and didn't overreact, kudos to you sir and shame on all of you that neg repped the new kid

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I think the OP did the right thing, upped his SA and didn't overreact, kudos to you sir and shame on all of you that neg repped the new kid

Agreed. He didn't call the cops. Instead he came here and asked the opinion of some gun owners, many who OC. He admitted his beliefs and opinons and, asked for some advice. I think the Bob Knight rule applies in this thread, so OP if you're still around, focus on why you caught so much flak not the flak itself. (focus on why coach knight is strangling you not the fact that you can't breathe)

OP, you hit on a few hot button issues. One being OC vs. CC, the other; profiling and situational awareness. You made the snap judgement that the group of gentlement walking by you were looking for trouble. While you only described the gun and holster, I am assuming there were other indicators at least in your mind that caused you to go on high alert. There in my mind is nothing wrong with this. We each have our own comfort zone and different things make different people's "ears perk up." What this shows is your own assertion of your ability to have at least some situational awareness.

I'm not going to say that the fact that the guy was OC'ing shouldn't have factored into your judgement of him or the situation, but I have a question. If it was a .45 in an expensive holster would it have changed your perception of the individual and the situation? If the only factor in your assesment that the individual was looking for trouble was that he was openly carrying a firearm in a cheap holster, then I personally think you need to spend some more time educating yourself on gun owners and gun carriers. Which you have done by coming here and asking for help.

The fact that you were considering calling the police, in my mind shows a couple things about where you are as an individual and as a gun carrier. First, as a gun carrier I think you should know the laws regarding firearms carry before carrying one in the first place (not as a law requirement just personal responsibility.) The fact that you thought you caould call the police for a "bad OC." Shows some lack of knowledge in that area. Check out the INGO FAQ and you'll learn some great stuff. Second, as an individual, I get the sense that you are not confident in your own abilities with your firearm. You said you carry regularly, but didn't say whether you were at the time this happened. I'm going to assume you were. This being the case the question I think many people would have posed to INGO would have been, "At what point do I reach for / draw my weapon." If your first reaction to a possible life-ending threat is to reach for the telephone, and not your gun, you may want to re-evaluate your personal defense plan and skills.

Lastly to INGO,

Whether the OP is a troll or not, should factor very little in our response to questions like the one posed in this thread. We have a responsibility to ourselves as citizens and gun owners to protect and further our right to bear arms. By bashing, insulting and attacking someone who is asking a question, whether it is to stir the pot or get a legit answer, we only make ourselves look like we are closed minded extremists. We have a right to speak our minds and say what we want, however it's like when you get arrested "...anything you say can be used against you..." Calm, rational, and logical positions can go a long way in furthing a cause and in disarming (no pun intended) an adversary's arguements. If we at INGO and the gun community as a whole want to gain new memebers, as well as the respect of those who disagree with us, I think we need to stop drinking the hater-aid and be a little more willing to cheerfully educate others, instead of condemning them for their ignorance. Especially when they come to us asking to be educated, and for advice. :ingo:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My question is this-- under what circumstances would you call the cops on someone who was OC'ing? I realize that many folks think that OC is a great idea. I don't. I realize that I'll get flak for saying that, but I do think that everyone has to agree that some OC crosses the line into being intimidating and inappropriate.

Intimidating=pointed at me or at someone I care about.

Inappropriate=OCing in the nude in public

Very Inappropriate=CCing in the nude anywhere

Top Bottom