What do you define as "A Lot" of rounds through you guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How many rounds do you consider a lot through your Pistols and semi-auto rifles?

• Total voters

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I see a lot of threads where some are making the case that they have a lot of rounds through their guns and have no issues yet. Kind of like how you'd judge a car based on how many miles it has lasted.

So INGO, how many rounds do you consider a lot?

For the sake of the poll we'll say pistols and semi-auto rifles. Obviously these numbers would be a bit high for a bolt-action gun.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    My vote would be FAR more than the 10K max you have on the poll. I would say "a lot" is somewhere in the 80K-100K range.

One of my 1911s I have had since the early 80's, and I'd say a low estimate of rounds since I've had it would be at least 1,000 per year. It was WELL used before I got it (it was made in 1943).

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    agreed, more than 10k would be my vote.......in military testing the Beretta alone functioned for an average of like 86k rounds before having problems (if I'm remembering the numbers correctly) could have been 8600 I can't remember now.......and a thousand rounds in a day is EASILY feasible.....especially on Uncle Sam's $.......really 10k is not a lot by my definition

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I think this should be two separate polls. What I consider a lot of rounds through a rifle doesn't even come close to a lot for a hand gun....too me.
    Some high velocity rifle rounds 2000-3000 is a lot.
    I have a 9mm 1911 with over 12,000 through it and it is still dead on accurate and tight

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    agreed, more than 10k would be my vote.......in military testing the Beretta alone functioned for an average of like 86k rounds before having problems (if I'm remembering the numbers correctly) could have been 8600 I can't remember now.......and a thousand rounds in a day is EASILY feasible.....especially on Uncle Sam's $.......really 10k is not a lot by my definition

Beretta claims the following:

• The average reliability of all M9 pistols tested at Beretta U.S.A. is 17,500 rounds without a stoppage.
    • During one test of twelve pistols fired at Beretta U.S.A. before Army supervision, Beretta-made M9 pistols shot 168,000 rounds without a single malfunction.
    • The Beretta 9mm pistol was the most reliable of all pistols tested in the 1984 competition which resulted in the award of the M9 contract to Beretta.
    • Two-thirds of all M9 pistols endurance tested at Beretta U.S.A. fired 5,000 rounds without a single mal function or, at most, with only one malfunction.
    • The average durability of Beretta M9 slides is over 35,000 rounds, the point at which U.S. Army testing ceases.
    • The average durability of M9 frames is over 30,000 rounds. The average durability of M9 locking blocks is 22,000 rounds.

cz testing
    CZ-USA -> CZ P-01 gets NATO approval. The next Generation of perfect pistols

Glock testing
    http://theprepared.com/content/view/90//administrator

Im sure there are more out there but i read these at least.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Depends on the gun and what needs to be done to it. I think a quality pistol should go at LEAST 10k rounds without anything but maybe spring replacements. For a cheaper pocket gun like an LCP or P3AT I would consider 5k rounds to be about the life. My Buckmark I don't expect to ever wear out to the point it can't be fixed for much less than replacement cost. Most rifles would need to be rebarreled at 10k rounds to maintain accuracy, some much sooner. OTOH if you don't have high accuracy expectations then 100k rounds should be possible.

I consider most quality guns, rifle or pistol, to just barely be getting broken in at 1000 rounds.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If we're talking handguns:
    There was a time when I'd consider 10k to be 3-6 months worth of shooting.
    I've only truely worn out one gun. I estimate 120-140k on it.
    I've gone more than 10k between cleanings.

-rvb

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have well over 35000 rounds through my H&K USP 9mm it is as accurate and as tight as it was the day i pulled it outta the box new!

I watched a NRA show a few years ago and they were reporting about a guy with a 1911 that won the IDPA match or one similar to it with his gun having over a million rounds through it!! :D

Oh and I voted 10,000 because you didn't have anything higher than that!! :D

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    I would say what would be considered "alot" of rounds would change depending on if I were the buyer, or the seller.

And it depends on the gun. I would not appreciate someone listing a kel-tec P3AT with 10,000 rounds down the pipe claiming it was low round count and just broken in. I would consider it "just about broke". (No offense meant as I own one myself, but what would be considered "alot of rounds" for a gun like that if not 10,000)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For the group in focus at the moment, I dont worry so much about round count as I do over all condition. If its only had 5,000 rounds through it, but wont function or hit the broad side of a barn, I consider it wore out, but if a gun is @ 20,000+, and still runs like a top and is combat effective, then its just broken in.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    thanks for posting the torture tests. after reading through the one on the m&p (ignored the others, i am sure they did well but do not apply to me) it very much reinforced my confidence in my EDC. thank you for peace of mind

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I had to get a Ruger P95 after reading a magazine that did a 25000 round torture test on one of the first and finding no measurable wear after it was done. And the P95 doesn't have any metal slide rails in the frame, all plastic!

I have a Romanian SAR-1 with somewhere in the neighborhood of 14,000 rounds and looks almost as good as the day I bought it. (actually better because I refinished the wood!)

Most modern firearms are so well made, that with a little TLC and a spring here or there and they will fire more rounds than we can afford!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom