• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Hmmm... seems to me that if it is a gun, and can shoot, it SHOULD have bullets in it at all times. Chambered is a personal choice IMO, and one that I personally choose "More Oveltine Please" to. No fun if you need your gun, but don't have time to rack it first.

The exception to this is my childhood gun, a Remmington Viper, bullets or no it's not likely to shoot, not a very intimidating as a stick either - Maybe I'll duct tape a knife to the end of it and make a spear. That being said, if I had the size of collection I wish I had, or that many of you folks have, then I'd keep most of them unloaded.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol i am glad to see i am not the only one, short story one day my wife came home and was doing her daily stuff and she was in the kitchen and ask baby is there a reason why there is a pistol in the cabinet with a extra mag and flash light, i responded with you never know where in the house you will be when the kick the door in. and she went to the laundry room lol same story, bathroom same story, of coarse all very well hidden and no chance of a child getting at them at all

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Famous last words, want those on your tombstone?

My guns are loaded and I mean they are REALLY loaded. Far as I'm concerned every gun I see is loaded and people I see handling them better treat them as if they were loaded unless I'm the guest or customer. If that's the case, leaving is the most polite thing I'll do.

BTW, I hate hearing "It'll never happen to me, I been trained." because it's false. "If, if, if, if frogs had wings..." Sooner or later you'll be saying "If only I had listened to Jack Ryan. That man was a genius. Why didn't I listen to him instead of ..."

Don't worry jack, nobody will ever say that!:p

Insert Animal House sheepish John Belushi after trashing the guitar "Sorry".
    I can't help myself, sometimes the voices are overwhelming:alcoholic:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I think all my pistols are loaded, let me check.....Oops I guess it was loaded, I didn't like that cat anyway, looks like its Chinese for dinner!

banjogore

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indy
    45 w/2 extra clips, 380 w/2 extra clips, 25 w/ 2 extra clips, 2 AR 15s each w/ 5 30 rounders, ar22 w/ 3 25 rounders, 3006 5+1, and a 12 gauge 7+1

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Glock 30sf with a nine-round cli... no, it's a magazine, plus a 13-round nearby. The 9-round mag is mostly for carry, though I keep it in for the house as well. I use Pow'R Ball 165gr +P for a defensive round. I do have 230gr FMJ in a few other magazines (preloaded for range time). I keep my AK magazines loaded as well for the same reason. They, and my AK, are handy if it should come to that ...and if it ever did, y'all would read about it in the paper, I'm sure. :cool:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Famous last words, want those on your tombstone?

My guns are loaded and I mean they are REALLY loaded. Far as I'm concerned every gun I see is loaded and people I see handling them better treat them as if they were loaded unless I'm the guest or customer. If that's the case, leaving is the most polite thing I'll do.

BTW, I hate hearing "It'll never happen to me, I been trained." because it's false. "If, if, if, if frogs had wings..." Sooner or later you'll be saying "If only I had listened to Jack Ryan. That man was a genius. Why didn't I listen to him instead of ..."

Ok, so seeing how the first step in any gun-cleaning procedure is to ensure that is unloaded, please, oh great & powerful JR of Oz, tell us how YOU would clean YOUR guns if they are ALWAYS loaded.

The above post was wholly unnecessary. He was not saying he is lackadaisical in his everyday gun-handling but just being a realist in admitting that, yes, there are times when a gun really is unloaded. If it's field stripped for cleaning then there's no way it's going to fire anything. To try to say any different is just mindless adherence to dogma. It doesn't make you any safer.

I guess you never touch any guns at a crowded gun store or at a gun show? The crowd is so thick that, even trying your best, the second you pick up the gun you'll probably sweep several people. Even if you don't sweep them with the muzzle the ricochet off the concrete floor would get quite a few.

Even the guy who invented "The Four Rules" (Cooper) wasn't as rigid in his beliefs as most try to imply. The original text by Cooper didn't stop where most people do. He added "until you have personally verified that it's unloaded & you have maintained control of it".

Here's the link & the text:

http://www.thesconce.com/jeff6_2.html

RULE 1
    ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    The only exception to this occurs when one has a weapon in his hands and he has personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as he puts it down, Rule 1 applies again.
    RULE 2
    NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
    You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.
    RULE 3
    KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.
    RULE 4
    BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
    You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

Hmm, an exception to rule #1...from the horses mouth, as they say.

If the rules are such that you can't reasonably or realistically follow them then people won’t follow them as they should.

The rules are written so that if one of them is broken you still have three more to prevent a tragedy.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My S&W M&P 45 has 10 loaded one in the chamber, and a spare mag ready.
    I also keep my Kimber Ultra near by with 7 loaded and two mags ready. My Shotgun is a Mossberg 930 SPX semi. with 7 in the tube and 5 on the side.
    That should be enough to get me to the 5.56 and .308 ARs if things get bad. I always have two mags for the S&W AR 5.56 and DPMS 308 loaded. They are secured away though.

To the real question, I rotate my mags. Every time I shoot I change my carry mags out. I have 12 mags for my M&Ps (45 full and Mid) and about a dozen for my 1911s and 6 for the Kimber. I do the rotate just to make sure they all work and to prevent any possible spring issues.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    It's probably not worth keeping several loaded mags around for every gun in your arsenal. When and how are you going to reload that much? A loaded pistol with a couple of backup mags as your immediate means of protection, and a loaded (not necessarily chambered) long gun, with one or two extra mags/loads, is plenty for whatever you could face (with a chance of winning, that is). :twocents:

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    I keep all mags for all guns loaded at all times. Never know when the zombies will come! Only weapon I keep loaded at all times is the one on my hip/on the nightstand.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    All my clips be loaded with caps. For reals.

I'm ready to bust 'em in some azzez yo.

2irukv5jpg.gif

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    My USP 9 is always locked and loaded whether it's on my hip, in my glovebox, or in my nightstand. I keep 1 extra loaded mag for that in my nightstand. I also keep my Sig p226 .40 with a full mag in my range bag, just in case.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My Springfield 1911 is always locked with 8+1 165 grain hollows, plus another 7 145grain ball, walther p.22 10+1 plus an extra 10rd mag, m-1 carbine 15rd mag ready to go, ak with 30rds ready...
    Come and get it zombies!!!

Top Bottom