• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've tried many products over the years. I have settled down to a couple cleaners: Ballistol and Super QCG. I find that if I use Frog Lube first that cleaning becomes a very easy task. Ballistol has been around since WWI or before. The Germans used it to clean their firearms and their bowels. To do their best fighting, the troops needed to stay regular and Ballistol did the trick (and still does). Super QCG is one of the new wonder products which works great.

If you use Hoppes and like your Hoppes, then you can keep your Hoppes period.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I use Breakfree CLP for the most part.

Hoppe's #9 isn't that far away.

RIG Gun grease, Rem Oil, and/or BF CLP for lubrication.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Mil surplus CLP, Hoppes #9, Rem gun oil, tons of wooden q tips, 4x4 gauze (for patches), bore snake, and an old m16 cleaning kit I had packed away when I got out.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I'm kind of a cleaning fanatic. I consider Break Free CLP the standard, but I've recently replaced it with Weaponshield CLP. On my AR-15's I use Slip2000, and love that stuff!

I do not like Eezox. I apply it only to old firearms that need rust prevention more than anything else. That stuff stinks so bad that the smell never quite goes away, even after you stop using it.

I use Remington Dry Lube on firing pin channels and reloading dies, etc. (anything that cannot be wet).

Last edited:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I've tried many products over the years. I have settled down to a couple cleaners: Ballistol and Super QCG. I find that if I use Frog Lube first that cleaning becomes a very easy task. Ballistol has been around since WWI or before. The Germans used it to clean their firearms and their bowels. To do their best fighting, the troops needed to stay regular and Ballistol did the trick (and still does). Super QCG is one of the new wonder products which works great.

so wouldn't that make it bowel-istol :):

Hoppes #9 here cleaner and oil

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Hoppes #9 and Kroil, mixed 50/50 for the general stuff. Straight Kroil for leaded barrels, straight hoppes for heavy fouling. For lube I use some fancy grade Hoppes gun oil. I don't remember the name, but its was in a black bottle before I transfered it to a needler tip bottle.

When/if I need grease, I have a tube of Tetra. A little goes a long way.

Brushes and jags are all Pro-Shot because they are made in the US.

Other then that, I have a few bore snakes and I make my own patches out of old cotton shirts. Spent 2 days cutting up old undershirts.. I don't think I'll ever have to buy patches again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I see what you did there... :laugh:

I use Hoppes on the bores, followed by CLP, then a light coat of QCG on the outside. For semi-autos I also use a little gun grease on the moving parts.

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    I have recently been trying Frog Lube on a Glock and an AR. Haven't found a reason to dislike it yet. Brake clean and the ultrasonic are my favorite cleaners.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have recently been trying Frog Lube on a Glock and an AR. Haven't found a reason to dislike it yet. Brake clean and the ultrasonic are my favorite cleaners.
    Have you ever stored a firearm for a long period of time that was cleaned/lubed with Frog Lube? The reason I ask is, I used it on a 9mm semi-auto that I rarely shoot, and when I took it out of the safe the other day and worked the action, it seemed "gummy". I've never run into that with CLP. :dunno:

modeltman1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Actually fairly common back in the olden days, you use what you got. And as long as you're not too dehydrated, you got that.

True-I know someone told me to use windex on my sks's when shooting highly corrosive ammo when at the range then when you get home to break it down and do a complete clean out. Have done this for several years and they have not pitted yet. So windex and human cleaning would have about the same ingredients for cleaning!:dunno:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am liking Super QCG more and more each time I use it. It's quick, easy and pricey. A little does go a long way. BGF carrys this product.

Top Bottom