• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    No, she hasn't nipped me at all. I just don't want to become her servant and the only way she will eat is out of my hands.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    No offense to those suggesting it, but be really careful with the "BARF" Diet. My wife fed her Rot chicken necks and it almost killed her. She had to have surgery to repair a perforated colon.

Natural food is fine, but chicken bones aren't. Dogs don't have the intestinal tract of a wolf..

Misinformed or uneducated comment. There is literally no difference between Lupine and Canine intestinal tracts. Uncooked chicken bones are pliable and chicken neck bones are so small they pose no threat. I am sorry for your Wife's Rot but unless it can be confirmed nothing else contributed to the perforation then I question this. I have a local breeder of show GSD that feeds BARF with chicken necks from the puppy stage on and has never had a problem. Of the thousands of owners that feed BARF, this is the first I have heard of a problem like this.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I wouldn't give up on the Eagle Pack. I have that to my Labs for years with excellent results. Do you know which variety they were feeding her? If it's different that may be part of the problem. I will also suggest giving her some glucosamine and chondroitin for her joints. The Eagle Pack already has some in it, but I like to supplement that. Don't buy it from the vet. It will be outrageously expensive. I give my dogs the human version. According to my vet it's the same thing, it just doesn't taste like a dead mammal. I get the generic stuff from Sam's Club and give them 1/2 the human dose. I put the pills in a spoonful of peanut butter and let them lick it from my hand. They love it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Misinformed or uneducated comment. There is literally no difference between Lupine and Canine intestinal tracts. Uncooked chicken bones are pliable and chicken neck bones are so small they pose no threat. I am sorry for your Wife's Rot but unless it can be confirmed nothing else contributed to the perforation then I question this. I have a local breeder of show GSD that feeds BARF with chicken necks from the puppy stage on and has never had a problem. Of the thousands of owners that feed BARF, this is the first I have heard of a problem like this.

"Unless it can be confirmed"? You got me, I made it all up lol.
    My wife's vet was an idiot, and it wasn't neck bones that he pulled out of the Rot's intestinal tract.

:rolleyes:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    "Unless it can be confirmed"? You got me, I made it all up lol.
    My wife's vet was an idiot, and it wasn't neck bones that he pulled out of the Rot's intestinal tract.

:rolleyes:

Just haven't ever heard of such a thing. You ever seen a bone from a chicken neck? Was it cooked or raw?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I got home today and realized we've lost all of her tags! I'm not even sure when when they could have possibly fell off. How can I replace her rabies and chip tags?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Well, I got home today and realized we've lost all of her tags! I'm not even sure when when they could have possibly fell off. How can I replace her rabies and chip tags?
    Contact the vet's office who did them. You should be ok as long as you have paperwork showing the vacs were given (especially if it's almost time for a new dose).

The chip tag is pretty easily replaceable, the rabies tag is tied into the lot number and paperwork associated with the vac.

We lost our dogs tags a couple years ago, and left them off until time to renew (it was fall and due in the spring) BUT our dogs aren't left alone outside at all and we keep all those records together :)

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    The rabies tag should be replaceable through your vet, or whomever it was that vaccinated her. The microchip tag, I'm not sure on. I guess you'd contact that company that the chip is through? I've never used the one that came with Sugar since it's pretty well standard procedure for most shelters, vets, etc... to check for a chip on strays that come in.

How do you have them attached to her collar? I would recommend getting a Rubit Clip. They are light, durable, and pretty hard for them to accidentally get off. They're nice because they're easily moved from collar to collar as well.

You can see it hanging from her collar in this picture, although I'm not quite sure where you can find them locally anymore. I got her's at the dog boutique that used to be at Castleton because they were the only people that carried a particular chew toy that has ever stood up to her chewing. They're easily ordered online, though.

Edit: It appears there is another one of these boutiques that has opened up at Clay Terrace in Carmel, so they should have them in stock.

IMG_0274-3-L.jpg

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just haven't ever heard of such a thing. You ever seen a bone from a chicken neck? Was it cooked or raw?

First off, sorry for the tone of my last post.

It was raw chicken necks. The Vet told her at the time that it wasn't the first case he has seen. Take that as you will.
    If you Google "BARF" and "Controversy" you can find some other cases of this happening.

I wasn't trying to belittle your choice of diet in any way, I was just trying to point out that it may not be for everyone..

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Can somebody tell me how to stop the "happy pee"? Adora is house trained, but whenever we get home and she is excited to see us, she pees on the floor. It doesn't matter how much we walk her at all. Whenever she wants to be rubbed and one of us plays with her, there is the chance she will leak on the floor. Is this part of training?

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I have skipped over several of the pages so if someone narrowed the field to another breed, I apologize in advance...But we have had Scotties for 30 years and find them very intelligent, good watchdogs, Independent thinkers and just all around great dogs

Here are McDuff and Demi. Aged 9 and 8 they are fine examples of what a good Scottie can be.

In their dress uniform
    3274.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Isn't your dog less than a year old? The dog may grow out of it. Or you may need the vet to make sure there is not a urinary tract infection.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    First off, sorry for the tone of my last post.

It was raw chicken necks. The Vet told her at the time that it wasn't the first case he has seen. Take that as you will.
    If you Google "BARF" and "Controversy" you can find some other cases of this happening.

I wasn't trying to belittle your choice of diet in any way, I was just trying to point out that it may not be for everyone..

No offence taken, rather thick skinned. I wouldn't want to suggest anything I thought would harm any dog. From mine and a championship breeder friends' experience I have just never seen harm. One does need to be educated though before moving forward.

Top Bottom