• IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Angus is a good looking pup!

Now about yearly vet cost.

St. Francis down the road from you Que is (if memory serves me correct) $105.00 for the yearly full check up (heart worm blood draw and fecal for worms), all shots (except for lime decease) and kennel cough.

If I were getting a pup (or any dog) right now, I'd get pet insurance. We've got a soon to be 10 year old that blew an ACL while playing. She gets around pretty good and can still run a bit but there is no way we'd come out of pocket for a $1,000+ surgery that doesn't always work.

I'd say that this isn't too far off The Cost of Dog Ownership - Affording a Dog.

Dr. Bob @ St. Francis in Mooresville routinely does ACL surgeries on active dogs, he's done two on my oldest Border Collie (each rear leg) and one our now passed away Woodrow, all three was done for under 850.00 with no failures, Ellies surgeries was 3 and 5 years ago. Too me, it was worth it for my pup.

Failure rates are mostly because of a couple of things, keeping the pup from jumping the first 3 months, and not properly rehabbing, you have to help the pup out by extending and retracing the leg to regain full motion.

golfinfool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Brazil, Indiana
    Definately do not get a yorkie.....we have 2 and they are the most needy dogs in the world. We have had them for 8 years so of course they are like one of the kids, but damn.....they require alot of attention......lol

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Thanks for some sound advice. I guess my priority in getting a dog is to complete what I consider to be the best three-part home defense system: person with a gun, a house with an alarm and a dog dog with TEETH.

I do not want to be an abusive owner by ignoring the emotional needs of the dog, but I am going into this with the main purpose of having a dog to guard my home.

That's what we all say ;) :):

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I went down to the Humance Society to visit with the dog I identified. He was away at a foster home, so I took the opportunity to visit with other dogs. As I walked through the kennel, many of the dogs went crazy! A couple that caught my eye on the internet didn't like me too much and growled pretty ferociously.

As they were all barking, I noticed a small female pup (Amber) that took notice of the ruckus, but wasn't moved by all the barking. She was cautious as I approached, but still friendly. I opened the cage and took her to the walking area. She is house broken and very obedient. I'm taking the family to visit with her next week.

My wife isn't really keen on getting a dog, but I think she will be more accepting once we visit. My daughter, who was in agreement with Mom, was won over just from the video. It looks like I'm not getting the dog I imagined, but the one that is meant for us... so far.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h462/Ingo_Que/MOV015_zps3a8eedbf.mp4

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Fine looking pup, and from what it looks like has been taught to sit and looks to be obedient. I think with a little work she can become a great pup that listens to commands very good.

:yesway:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I went down to the Humance Society to visit with the dog I identified. He was away at a foster home, so I took the opportunity to visit with other dogs. As I walked through the kennel, many of the dogs went crazy! A couple that caught my eye on the internet didn't like me too much and growled pretty ferociously.

As they were all barking, I noticed a small female pup (Amber) that took notice of the ruckus, but wasn't moved by all the barking. She was cautious as I approached, but still friendly. I opened the cage and took her to the walking area. She is house broken and very obedient. I'm taking the family to visit with her next week.

My wife isn't really keen on getting a dog, but I think she will be more accepting once we visit. My daughter, who was in agreement with Mom, was won over just from the video. It looks like I'm not getting the dog I imagined, but the one that is meant for us... so far.

Just remember, dogs don' necessarily act their "normal" way in a pound. Its a traumatic experience for them. And when the other dogs start barking, it gets them going.

That said, when I met my Zeus, he just laid there, barely paying attention. My brother asked me why I was looking at a dog that wasn't even giving me the time of day.

After he got used to me though, he was "my dog". If someone else was feeding him treats, and i walked away, he would leave the person to follow me.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Ok, you have just described my dog Barney exactly, except he's 125lbs.

I have told you before, a Rottweiler is the perfect dog.

Don't shed that much.
    Very lazy, but ready to play when you want to.
    Used to being left alone for hours at a time.
    Great watch dog.
    Loves bacon.

I'm free tomorrow if you want to meet him.
    He needs the slightly smaller version.

rust-doberman-with-black-doberman1.jpg

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Just a heads up and thread jack, ingoer indyjack has had a very nice stray for weeks he's under a year old, a small shepard, husky mix. A very nice dog. Remember the Humaine Society puts down the bigger older and ugly dogs sooner than new, cute, short hair puppies.

Thanks Que for shopping at the pound!
    Your dog will love you for it!:D

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

It seems that is the way it goes most of the time at the pound. You may think you like one but he may not like you. More often than not the animal will pick you rather than you picking the animal. Amber is beautifull I'm sure she will end up being even more than you imagined and it seems she has already picked you. My fiance got her cat Tinkerbell from the pound. She walked in and Tink jumped right into her lap and has been there ever since.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

she's beautiful and I hope she enjoys the rest of your family as she did you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It is also pretty cool that the Humane Society is offering a $25 "Trainers Pick" discount on the adoption. Also, they have a progrma called Pets for Partriots and I'll get an additional 35% discount by presenting my DD214. So, my total adoption fee will be $65!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Labradoodles are an abomination to the animal world. I can understand wanting to give a poodle a reason to live but why would you want to ruin a perfectly good lab by mixing it with a frenchie?:xmad:

Hey now, I grew up with a Standard Poodle. Smart, loyal and protective. My dad was whipping my butt one day, and my poodle went for his neck!

12A.JPG

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Labradoodles are an abomination to the animal world. I can understand wanting to give a poodle a reason to live but why would you want to ruin a perfectly good lab by mixing it with a frenchie?:xmad:
    standard poodles were bred to be working waterfowl retrievers, the poodle cut was designed to protect the dog's organs and joints while streamlining the rest of it while swimming. i remember a few years back, a team of standard poodles successfully completed the ididarod. now toy poodles, i have no use for.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    It is also pretty cool that the Humane Society is offering a $25 "Trainers Pick" discount on the adoption. Also, they have a progrma called Pets for Partriots and I'll get an additional 35% discount by presenting my DD214. So, my total adoption fee will be $65!

Indy Humane is great. It's where I adopted my dog (a border terrier named Loki) a year and a half ago. They've always got a lot of really great dogs.

As other people have said, expect to spend a lot of time training a dog to do what you're interested in. It's also very, very important that the entire family do exactly the same way you do every time. Inconsistency will ruin training. You'll probably have to train the family how to train the dog.

Since you asked about cost, I'll really suggest that you don't cheap out on the dog's food. Spend a little more and get a good quality dog food like Blue Buffalo or, at the least, Science Diet. Those are much less likely to aggravate any skin allergies or digestive problems the dog might have.

You'll be looking at semi-annual vaccinations, which will run you $50-100 per visit, depending what you're after. Heartworm for Loki costs me about $25 twice a year. Flea preventative is the most expensive single part, which will run something like $60-65 every four months.

If you're looking to crate train, find a crate that's just large enough for the dog to stand up and turn around, you can pick something up at PetSmart for like $50-60 at the most. It's also not necessary to get a special bed or anything. I have an old fleece blanket in Loki's crate and another old twin-sized comforter that sits on the floor by my bed for him to lay in. However, he doesn't eat blankets like some dogs do, so be careful about that.

Beyond that, most anything else is an optional accesspry. I recommend a rope tug, a large Kong ball, and something rubber and squeaky. If she ends up being the type to rip things apart, avoid anything soft and plushy.

Also, I do not recommend rawhides, since they have a tendency to get stuck in the digestive system and can result in impacted bowels. Go with actual animal bones. They're a little more expensive but they're also safer and less likely to result in huge vet bills.

Lastly, if you're so inclined, I also suggest setting up a CareCredit account for emergencies if you're not going to go for pet insurance. CareCredit is a credit card used for healthcare/pet care that comes with a built-in minimum 6 month no-interest period on any purchase. It's come in handy more than once.

Having a dog is great, and a shelter dog is the best of all. It seems like a cliche, but a rescue will be the most loving and loyal companion you'll ever have.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy

She's beautiful, Que! Pretty sweet deal you're getting at Indy Humane, as well! I really hope she works out for ya! I know Sugar's shelter's trainer was a huge help to me after I brought her home, and would call often to get updates. I still get a Christmas card from him every year for taking her home.

She's been a huge help to the veteran Marine that's lived with us for the past couple of years. I love those Pets healing Vets/Pets for Patriots programs. :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Top Bottom