What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As I mentioned elsewhere, had the "carry gun" match yesterday with interesting results. It is now a week of hard work leading up to the Indiana State match this weekend. Tonight was fundamentals getting back with my current main match and carry gun.

Started with Double Add 1 on B8 because again I forgot my 3X5. Dropped 2 points for a 98. One of the dropped points was an ED (early discharge) from a little too much prep.

Next up was doubles on demand at 7 and although my times were good I was a little sloppy. Grip, grip, grip.

On to trigger control at speed again at 7. I ran from .14 to .23 on my reaction times and at one point put 3 rounds in the same hole.

Moving on to 5 shot reactive drills and found myself not giving the proper focus to one spot on the target. I used the head for this and put a couple outside the down one. That is a no go at 7 yards shooting as fast as the dot returns with minimal visual confirmation.

While I was there I shot 2 runs of the Rangemaster Oct. DOM. Run number 1 was a clean 3.67 with number 2 being a 3.11 but no good as I dropped 1.

I finished up with a Mason Lane drill of 2 shots in 2 seconds at 25 from the draw. I have to say for me that is not easy. You have to draw fast and get good sight confirmation and 2 good trigger presses. The tight par time really helps simulate match speed and stress for me. I did throw a -3 over 3 runs. (Was running low on ammo.)
    PXL_20231002_231025950.MP.jpg
    Ignore the writing as it is the target I used for the RM drill. The -3 is hiding up in the writing though.

DirtRoadEvan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Where are the go to places to find details on some of these drills? I am usually working on certain skills at the range, but I rarely measure my skills with a drill.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Where are the go to places to find details on some of these drills? I am usually working on certain skills at the range, but I rarely measure my skills with a drill.
    There are several sites here is one

Also the Range Master monthly newsletter has drill of the month.

Justin Dyal has an assortment of great drills as does Dave Spaulding and Ken Hackathorn.

There is probably a site that has them (anyone that knows by all means point it out) but you can also google the above names and several of their drills will come up.

jhopson

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Trafalgar
    I have found this book to be extremely helpful in determining which drills to run.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Match mode pace tonight. I went with the 3 standards stages from the upcoming IN State IDPA championship.

I shot their warm up stage first. I like to use the match warmup to set the match pace for the rest of the day. In other words, as fast as I can in control and clean. This one is 2 targets right next to each other. No distance so I assume it will be 7 yards.
    Start Position: Shooter starts at SP, toes touching mark. Firearm loaded with exactly four (4) rounds & holstered. Upon signal, engage all targets with one (1) round to the body and one (1) round to the head, from behind FFL.
    1696555915730.png

My runs were a clean 2.96 and a clean 3.03.

Number 2 was mid range standards. This is 4 IDPA targets in 2 banks with a non threat in between.
    String 1: At SP1 – Upon signal, engage each target with one (1) round each freestyle.
    String 2: At SP2 – Upon signal, engage each target with one (1) round each strong-hand only.
    String 3: At SP3 – Upon signal, engage each target with (1) round each weak-hand only.
    1696554690900.png
    My 3 runs were as follows,
    String 1 20 yards 4.10 -1, 3.81 -2, 3.31 -1
    String 2 10 yards 3.63 -2, 4.08 -1, 4.10
    String 3 7 yards 4.26, 4.76, 4.37

Number 3 was close range standards. I used the same set up but just ignored the non threats.

String 1: Engage T1-T4 with two (2) round each to the body, from behind FFL
    String 2: Engage T1-T4 with one (1) round each to the head Strong-Hand Only, from behind FFL
    String 3: Engage T1-T4 with one (1) round each Weak-Hand Only, from behind FFL. Note: All targets are equal threat
    1696554939620.png

With no distance given I guessed 5 yards. Scores as follows
    String 1 3.45, 3.65, 3.61
    String 2 3.93 1M, 3.58, 3.91 -1
    String 3 3.96, 3.57 -1, 5.33!

I finished up with the Pudding Patch Challenge which I did not pass. I did have 3 rounds touching, but they werent all from the same string.

Attachments

• 1696555739651.png
      1696555739651.png
      87.7 KB · Views: 1

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Tried to beat the rain to the range. Didn't make it by much. I set up a mini stage utilizing the plate rack some targets and barrels. I got through a few iterations of that before the rain. Then I shot heads at 30 from the shelter until the rain curled the heads. I then switched to the plate rack at 40 from the back of the truck.
    PXL_20231006_200204053.MP.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So as a follow up to Thursdays practice of the match standards. The actual results are telling of something I have mentioned before. You can be a good drill shooter but still not a good match shooter. I did ok at the Indiana State Match taking second among 19 shooters in Carry Optics Expert and earning a bump to master. I finished 16th out of 58 in CO as a whole. The standard type stages really saved me as I made some pretty big mistakes on some of the other stages. Lets check out a few comparisons.

On the warmup stage I finished 2nd to the Overall match winner (not counting PCC's, who allows rifles in a pistol match?) Kevin Farrar. I had the pleasure of squadding with Kevin and he is very good. Sure to be in the running at Worlds this week. He did the warmup in a 2.73 and I was at a 2.99 which was right along with my practice times.

In the mid range standards I was 3rd with a 13.22 which again was pretty close to my practice times.

On JW4 or the short range standards I was down a little in 9th with a 16.28 which was slower than my practice times but there did turn out to be some differences in the stage between what the matchbook was and what we actually shot. One big difference in all 3 standards is that they were listed as no concealment garment required (normally how standards are done) but at the match they were requiring concealment.

One other stage called Corridor I did quite well on earning a 6th place finish was because I used a different stage plan from almost everyone else that saved some time. I was near the end on this one and the stage leaders were quite put out they hadn't though of it.

So compare those to one of my bad stages where I was way down in 43rd because I hit a barrel and you see quite a contrast. Once again I ask myself, should this change the way I train? My main focus isn't shooting matches, but as Mas says, every gunfight is a shooting competition.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I used to do drills where I would start laying down on my left side roll on back draw, and fire at 3yds, then on right side my edc carry side, and repeat. Then on flat of my back.
    I use to do this when I was younger. However, thinking about it I'm older now most likely would be easier to be knocked on the ground with each passing year.
    So I think I'll start including this in my training again.
    Possibly add one starting while on my stomach as well since that is a Possibility to be knocked flat on your stomach as well.
    What do you all think of doing drills of this sort?

I recently seen a video from Federal that reminded me of the above drill.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I used to do drills where I would start laying down on my left side roll on back draw, and fire at 3yds, then on right side my edc carry side, and repeat. Then on flat of my back.
    I use to do this when I was younger. However, thinking about it I'm older now most likely would be easier to be knocked on the ground with each passing year.
    Possibly add one starting while on my stomach as well since that is a Possibility to be knocked flat on your stomach as well.

Good post. In regards to shooting from different positions (or even normal standing at certain times). A lot of folks that are against appendix want to make claims of sweeping parts etc. you sweep the same femoral artery at a 3 or 9 O’clock.
    This is especially true when sitting or kneeling. I see it time and time again.

Why finger off trigger/finger straight or indexing is so important on anything until you are covering meat of a bad guy you are justified to shoot!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I have done and taught that type of thing in numerous classes. I think it is important to at least be familiar with especially if you are using a PMO. I don't see it as something to spend a lot of time on past the point of competency.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Quick trip tonight with the normal EDC (Sig 365XL) that has been neglected most of the summer. I will be heading out of town for a few days carrying this so I wanted to make sure it and I were dialed in.

Starting with 3 runs of Double Add 1 that all went 7/10 on the 3X5, and then finally made a 9/10 on the fourth run and called it good.

After that I ran the Hackathorn Wizard drill for 5 runs. The times on this are pretty generous but since it is mostly head shots that cushion is appreciated.

PXL_20231011_221855459.MP.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Last weekend as well as this last Friday and Saturday I shot a number of drills over 3 different handguns to get some ideas on performance comparison. The point was to test my 365XL against my Canik MC9 but I also decided to run a full size gun as a control. For this I used my current IDPA match gun a sorta Sig Legion X-carry. The drills I used were as follows.

FBI handgun qualification.

I felt like this was a good range of speed and accuracy requirements out of a carry gun. I have also shot IDPA matches with all 3 guns to see that comparison as well.

I kept pretty detailed notes but won't list it all out here. I will say up front that by the numbers themselves the differences weren't huge, but the actual feel and confidence left a big gap. That gap gets even bigger in a match.

320 Legion X-Carry Sig custom works slide, killer innovations barrel, Trijicon SRO RD with OWB IDPA gear
    Double Add 1 on 3X5 = 9/10
    5 yard Round up = 98/100 points
    Old Bakersfield Qual on IDPA target= Clean, in times.
    "New" FBI pistol qual on IDPA target= 98/100

Sig 365XL w/Wilson grip, Holosun 6moa EPS carry, AIWB
    Double Add 1 on 3X5= 9/10
    5 yard round up= 89/100 (note only dropped 1 point but last SHO shot was overtime for minus 10)
    Bakersfield Qual on IDPA target= -1 point at the 20 but first 3 strings were overtime. The penalty on this is not a severe as 5yd R.U.
    "New" FBI pistol qual on IDPA target= 92/100 1 shot outside "bottle"

Canik MC9 with TF brass backstrap and Holosun 6 moa EPS Carry AIWB
    Double Add 1 on 3X5= 8/10
    5 yard round up= 86/100 (-4 and last SHO shot was again overtime.)
    Old Bakersfield qual on IDPA target= -2, first 3 strings overtime.
    "NEW" FBI Qual on IDPA target= 92/100 all in "bottle".

So in short I will say that anything that didn't involve one hand shooting, long rapid fire strings, and reloading was pretty close. Once those things were involved, especially the one handed stuff, the heavier full size gun and full size glass made a pretty substantial difference. It was pretty much a wash between the 365XL and the MC9 though I will say I seemed to shoot the 365 a touch better. The Canik felt much better in the hand, as a lefty reloaded easier, and after 100 rounds in relatively short timeframe was zero pain.

Some other things to note, I modified the scoring and targets a bit in some of these out of convenience but kept them apples to apples. This made the FBI one harder (it is super easy to pass), the Bakersfield one easier (it is pretty difficult), the 5 yard round up identical to original, and the Double Add 1 just a little different.

In summation, there are a lot better shooters than I out there, but I have to imagine I am above the "typical" self defense carry person*. I feel less comfortable carrying a small gun all of the time when I actually measure the performance. You of course can do what you will.

* I don't say that to brag, I should be much better than I am. I have over 1,000 hours of training not counting the Army and police academy (they don't count for much) am a certified instructor through a couple of organizations, Master level IDPA shooter, etc.

Last edited:

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    First time out since September. I've had some good life changes and have just been soaking up the extra time to reset myself. No dry practice since the last outing nor much motivation to do much of anything firearms related. Pretty typical of this time of year for me so we'll see what spring brings.

Anyway i wanted to get my annual session in with winter coat draws, in case i don't make it out again. I just picked two fairly simple tests and only ran 65 rounds but it had 17 draws incorporated in the session. I started with a run of the Advanced Supertest. A 287 under par.

I finished with my version of the LAPD Swat Qual. It's a tough course of fire from concealment but i still managed to hit all pars and shot clean until the 3 yard line, where i dropped both 3x5 shots low back to back. I was around a 2 second draw with the heavy coat, just under when close and just over further out. The misses kept me from the 90% goal by a few points but overall i was happy per the circumstances with a final of 310/360.

The objective of getting a baseline current draw from my winter coat was completed and as i establish a dry routine over winter i will be sure to work on it some more to maintain and improve.

LAPD swat qual with my modifications. This shows the 3&5 yard strings, tape covering the hits of the rest of the test.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    First time out since NOV post above. I ran the March Rangemaster DOTM as a Cold Start, posting a respectable 291. I had a newer shooter with me who is also unversed in any sort of performance shooting. It was his first time shooting on the clock etc.. so i helped him with some minimal diagnosis and gave him some things to work on. Lots of low hanging fruit at that level.

We then just spent the next 70 rounds on a simple mirrored array of 8" steel at 10, two idpa targets at 7 and another 8" steel at 10. We shot them several different ways and then concluded because it started snowing. It was just enough to ignite the spark for the season. I just need to decide what i am going to run this year....I should be hitting a match next month if plans go through so that will be nice as well.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    First time out since NOV post above. I ran the March Rangemaster DOTM as a Cold Start, posting a respectable 291. I had a newer shooter with me who is also unversed in any sort of performance shooting. It was his first time shooting on the clock etc.. so i helped him with some minimal diagnosis and gave him some things to work on. Lots of low hanging fruit at that level.

We then just spent the next 70 rounds on a simple mirrored array of 8" steel at 10, two idpa targets at 7 and another 8" steel at 10. We shot them several different ways and then concluded because it started snowing. It was just enough to ignite the spark for the season. I just need to decide what i am going to run this year....I should be hitting a match next month if plans go through so that will be nice as well.
    Shot my first match of the season Saturday. I did far less live fire over this last winter than normal. I was doing the 5X5 playing card drill every week and the RM DOM's but not a lot more than that. Dry fire nearly every day though. Good to hear from you again. Hope your summer goes well.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Same to you sir! We may run in to each other at a match. A friend has been considering idpa and I saw your name on a previous matche while browsing practicscore. I'm more into uspsa and steel challenge but if he doesn't budge it may be an idpa match.

Hopefully we can spark some more participation in this thread again!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Shot my first match of the season Saturday. I did far less live fire over this last winter than normal. I was doing the 5X5 playing card drill every week and the RM DOM's but not a lot more than that. Dry fire nearly every day though. Good to hear from you again. Hope your summer goes well.
    What's your standard approach to dry fire? Do you have a standard set of drills you run through?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I'm feeling inspired reading through all the work you guys have put in here. I haven't been to the range in... Way too long. A couple of years. I need to get back to regular practice but I feel like I'll be starting over.

Tonight I drilled takedowns from the Russian tie.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom