• ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    You can also crack eggs open and freeze them
    Also some people dip them in oil and theyll store at room temp for several months.

That's different. I know my mom sits eggs at room temp for up to a month. But her chickens lay over a dozen eggs a day. She cant give them away fast enough.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    We got the neighbors to the south on board. He loaded in a lot of water yesterday.

Awesome! I've only met two neighbors, they seem nice, but completely domesticated. I'm hopeful for the other neighbors. Apparently there's a group of men that go on hunting trips and such often. I will hopefully meet them as soon as weather warms up. Itd be nice to be on the same page for an emergency.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    That's different. I know my mom sits eggs at room temp for up to a month. But her chickens lay over a dozen eggs a day. She cant give them away fast enough.

PSA-
    That only works for fresh laid eggs and not store bought eggs. US commercial eggs are required to always wash eggs to get off any possible dirt which also takes off the natural protective layer (bloom). That allows air and germs to get in via small pores in the egg shell, so they must be refrigerated. As I understand it, Europeans don't wash eggs unless they are dirty, so they remain protected and can sit on the counter for several weeks. Home chicken raisers may follow either path.

Second PSA-
    I raise chickens and tried a form of long-term preservation this year. I get annoyed with having chickens and then having to buy store bought in the middle of winter when they reduce egg production. You put a mixture of hydrated lime (pickling lime) and water in a bucket and then fill it with unwashed eggs. Supposedly they can keep for up to 2 years that way, but I kept some of my spring eggs for 7-8 months in a 2-gal bucket and ate them in this winter. Worked fine, though the yolks were softer than fresh and sometimes broke when I opened the eggs. They work fine for scrambled, hard boiled and baking, not easy over. Pickled eggs are another way to preserve, though I've never tried that.

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Preps this last week: Upgraded stock in sanitation (lysol spray and wipes, bleach, soap), vitamins, and rechargeable batteries. Food and water in pretty good shape.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm pretty good as far as food and water goes but toiletries are probably where I'd run out at the 30 day mark, so today I will be buying toiletries (toilet paper, toothpaste, extra toothbrushes, paper towels, sanitizing wipes, bleach, etc) Probably get a couple more cases of water as well, but finding room to store it is becoming a pita

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm pretty good as far as food and water goes but toiletries are probably where I'd run out at the 30 day mark, so today I will be buying toiletries (toilet paper, toothpaste, extra toothbrushes, paper towels, sanitizing wipes, bleach, etc) Probably get a couple more cases of water as well, but finding room to store it is becoming a pita

Room is always an issue.
    We blow through toiletry's here. Blow through them...….:faint:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    PSA-
    That only works for fresh laid eggs and not store bought eggs. US commercial eggs are required to always wash eggs to get off any possible dirt which also takes off the natural protective layer (bloom). That allows air and germs to get in via small pores in the egg shell, so they must be refrigerated. As I understand it, Europeans don't wash eggs unless they are dirty, so they remain protected and can sit on the counter for several weeks. Home chicken raisers may follow either path.

Second PSA-
    I raise chickens and tried a form of long-term preservation this year. I get annoyed with having chickens and then having to buy store bought in the middle of winter when they reduce egg production. You put a mixture of hydrated lime (pickling lime) and water in a bucket and then fill it with unwashed eggs. Supposedly they can keep for up to 2 years that way, but I kept some of my spring eggs for 7-8 months in a 2-gal bucket and ate them in this winter. Worked fine, though the yolks were softer than fresh and sometimes broke when I opened the eggs. They work fine for scrambled, hard boiled and baking, not easy over. Pickled eggs are another way to preserve, though I've never tried that.

That explains a lot. Mom always refuses to wash them until use. For her that's just how it works. (Lived in Mexico until adulthood) nice to know there actual reason. Lol they gave several dozen chickens, ducks, turkeys, a dozen head of cattle, goats, horses, a mature orchard with a creek running through the woods, and now sheep. All animals are self sufficient off the land.
    Let's just say I know where to bug out to.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Out of curiosity, how many people still have bread machines??

I have two, one is 33 years old and still works good, but only makes a 1 pound loaf, about 6 months before my late wife passed away I ran across a newer 2.5 pound model
    at a yard sale for 5 dollars. I jumped all over that because we loved fresh baked bread with butter on it.

Today I picked up 4-5 pound bags pf bread flour and 4 bottles of Fleischmann's yeast, Won't have to worry about bread for a LONG time if I need to start
    making fresh bread.

Not a big white rice fan, but like brown rice with hot sauce in it. I got a couple rice steamers, one of them I always used to steam Hot Dogs in so I might be adding some rice
    and hot sauce to my preps along with some extra cans of precooked chicken breast. Other than that I got close a month supply of canned veggies along with Spam and
    other canned meats.

I'm thinking a run to Aldi's with a grocery cart full of items will take care of me for what should be more than adequate for me. I always have had a decent backstock of items.
    Living in Indiana you never know if you're going to need it for winter storms or disastrous Tornado season.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I have read people who sail across the ocean on long trips flip their eggs to keep them moist inside to prolong their expiration date. I don't know how often or how much time it adds. They are in a container that allows the entire container to just be flipped upside down, then after a period of time they flip them back over. I would like to learn how to preserve eggs, they are a staple of our diet. I have seen some pickle them, some can them. I have no idea what works best or how long they would keep.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Hoosier hill farm still had some.

Tried another place but never got confirmation email and no customer service answered when I called hours later.

update. Got the Hoosier Hill stuff. Their stuff is NOT setup for long term storage. Came in plastic containers w a Best By date of next year.

Ok, I will put the stuff into Mylar bags. Not a deal breaker - just different. Want folks to be aware so they can plan.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I hope while everyone is being proactive on preps don't forget.......

Your PETS!

I'm buying 2-44lb bags tomorrow. Nice thing is the brand I feed them is not a lined sealed paper bag, it's a heavy duty mylar style bag that will keep its freshness for a while.

Top Bottom