• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    After looking periodically for who knows how long, I found .410 shotgun ammo available online. Cabelas has some winchester game loads for under $1 a shot. That doesn't sound like such a good deal unless you've been looking periodically for years and haven't seen any known brands for less than $1.5 a shot. Either way, I now have enough...... My single shot TPS M6 Scout will now be able to get some more small game hunting time. I did some small game hunting recently so it's nice to know that gun is a more viable option now that it's got more ammo.

I've got a new set of 30-06 dies. These are Redding type "S" competition dies, so I'll be working up a load for my 30-06 for a likely elk hunting trip later fall assuming we get drawn. I'm using Barnes tipped triple shock bullets in 168gr, and 150gr in lapue brass with Federal match primers. My hope is to get something close enough to PRS level of accuracy with the Winchester 70 and then be able to hunt with it.

I ordered a grayboe stock for my Tikka T3x in 308. The intent is going to be that this rifle will be the ultimate backup rifle for about anything. It'll get a load worked up for both hunting and competition, and will be along for the ride in both of those cases. Some competitions I like to go to say a person has to use a 223/5.56 or 308 as a military caliber and the other teammate can use whatever they want. So, if I go to a match where a buddy is going and he has a **.**mm whatever caliber then I can take the 308 and we're good. Also, this will ride to the elk hunt so if anyone has an issue with their gun for whatever reason, this will be a good spare. Can't beat having a good 308 laying around anyway. I'm going to work up the hunting load for this simultaneously as the the 30-06 mentioned above and use the same Barnes TTSX 168gr and 150gr bullets to see what I get.

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Worked on some garden stuff today.

Got a few compost piles built to cook for use in the summer. I pick up leaves from people in my area that have maple trees. I layer leaves and last year's compost to get the mycorrhizae and other life going. I like a fungal dominate compost.

Going to start some brassica seeds, and look to direct seed spinach and radish in the high tunnel soon. It's currently 87 degrees in there.

Looking forward to many huge harvests and plenty of food to preserve.

Attachments

• 20240203_134402.jpg
      20240203_134402.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 5

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Worked on some garden stuff today.

Got a few compost piles built to cook for use in the summer. I pick up leaves from people in my area that have maple trees. I layer leaves and last year's compost to get the mycorrhizae and other life going. I like a fungal dominate compost.

Going to start some brassica seeds, and look to direct seed spinach and radish in the high tunnel soon. It's currently 87 degrees in there.

Looking forward to many huge harvests and plenty of food to preserve.

Good work!

Come join us in the gardening 2024 thread. It's a little slow there now. We all need a foot in the butt.

:)

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Bought a freeze dryer, while awaiting its delivery we bagged some more flour and rice in Mylar bags with O2 absorbers.
    I'd like to know, when you get it figured out, how expensive is that to operate. I worked at a pharmaceutical factory for years. Freeze driers were a major part of our operation and expensive to run.
    I'm sure your unit won't be as wasteful, but I am curious. Thanks.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I'd like to know, when you get it figured out, how expensive is that to operate. I worked at a pharmaceutical factory for years. Freeze driers were a major part of our operation and expensive to run.
    I'm sure your unit won't be as wasteful, but I am curious. Thanks.
    Haven’t got that far into it yet, but from my research, my medium should be about 3-4 dollars for a 24 hour period. Not bad, but enough to notice. Still cheaper than buying freeze dried foods though, plus you know exactly what went into it. I will have more info as we use it more, currently have a batch of gummy bears in just for fun.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Haven’t got that far into it yet, but from my research, my medium should be about 3-4 dollars for a 24 hour period. Not bad, but enough to notice. Still cheaper than buying freeze dried foods though, plus you know exactly what went into it. I will have more info as we use it more, currently have a batch of gummy bears in just for fun.
    Do I understand correctly? Your freeze drying gummy bears?

:lmfao:

edit: or do I misunderstand and you are making gummy bears?

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yep. Just to try it!
    Well, that should be interesting. Guess it just struck me as funny.

Good luck.

You know what? I bet this will teach you something about freeze drying things. The more knowledge you have the better you will be to use the new tool. Learn away. :thumbsup:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Cast about 85 pounds of pistol bullets and some round balls . I told the Wife that I have to get everything reloaded by April, or I wouldn't be able to help with outside chores... I've let my shooting skills lapse over the last 7 years and I need to get sharp again... Too old to fight and too fat to run....

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My local Wally World had 3 inch .410 for $20 a box. They had 4 boxes left so they followed me home. Seems ridiculous to have to pay that much.
    Never realized why a box of .410 was more expensive than a box of 12 ga. until I started reloading them. Now, that was back in the day of 5 bucks a box of field loads.

Dang things were a PITA to load. I could load 3 boxes of 12 in the time it took me to load 1 box of .410.

You did good IMO.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I recently picked up .410 shells from Cabelas because it's the first time I'd seen them in stock in quantity in years. My .410 is a TPS M6 Scout single shot that much .410 ammo will likely last me the rest of my life.

Top Bottom