• ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Added to fuel stores.

Added to Emergency Medical Bag, better scissors, instant cold packs and splinting materials. Pretty contented so far, really want to add a CAT 4.

Reviewed and added to food stores. Done some rotation and working on more storage space.

Cold weather coming again...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rotated stored fuel. Used the oldest in the truck and replenished. StayBil added.
    Food stores look good for now. No more room.
    Water stores are being rotated and replenished.
    Been doing the maint on the guns in the safes.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I've always thought that it might be worthwhile to be able to rent some friends for a while. They can have the bottle...after the work is done.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Does anyone stock alcohol or cigarettes? It seems like those would be the most valuable barter items if stores shut down for some reason.

My wife seems to think that every time we have people over we need several new bottles of booze. We're not drinkers by any stretch of the imagination, so every time we host we end up with bottles that are mostly full or unopened. I have a full shelf of nothing but booze that for some reason she won't let me get rid of. The only purpose that shelf serves in my mind is for barter post SHTF. I used to smoke, but I don't store anything tobacco related. That stuff gets stale with time and I'm not going to rotate it out.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My wife seems to think that every time we have people over we need several new bottles of booze. We're not drinkers by any stretch of the imagination, so every time we host we end up with bottles that are mostly full or unopened. I have a full shelf of nothing but booze that for some reason she won't let me get rid of. The only purpose that shelf serves in my mind is for barter post SHTF. I used to smoke, but I don't store anything tobacco related. That stuff gets stale with time and I'm not going to rotate it out.
    People come to my house, they can drink water, pop, coffee, tea, or they can suck it. Friends who don't come to my house because there is nothing to drink are not friends.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't care for the idea of stocking addictive items for barter.

Never know when an addict could decide that their habit could be more important than your life. :twocents:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I don't care for the idea of stocking addictive items for barter.

Never know when an addict could decide that their habit could be more important than your life. :twocents:

I'm not big on those kind of items either, but mostly because I barely use alcohol (mostly for herbal tinctures) and don't use and don't often see others smoke anymore. I have a couple of bottles of vodka, but those will most likely end up in future herbal remedies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    People come to my house, they can drink water, pop, coffee, tea, or they can suck it. Friends who don't come to my house because there is nothing to drink are not friends.

That's just the thing. She usually buys the booze before a family get together on her side which is definitely the drinking side and they always show up with too much booze of their own. It's not people showing up looking for a free hand out.

My only point in saying that, is that I'm not intentionally going out to buy booze, but I have some on hand. I don't have any addiction to it, and I know if it ever gets to that mad max / red dawn period of time where people are trading for booze then I'll be able to hook someone up.

Last edited:

vermilionbird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    Oct 17, 2020
    South Bend
    A few years ago when I made my own hard cider, I also tried my hand at making applejack by "distilling" through leaving it out to freeze and straining out the ice. Some of you DIYers might enjoy trying that this winter!

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Ran out of ammo cans for reloads saturday, have been rotating canned goods from store and also home canned meats and veggies. Hearing stories of a rush on TP again so bought some extra last week , My wife is going thru all the medical supplies, and meds. All propane tanks are full, gas has been rotated, i only store the gas with no alcohol it cost more but it also keeps longer too. checked generators out and serviced they both run on gas or propane, propane heaters checked out and working great. Still adding to water storage, would love to find some 6" or larger drain pipe in plastic makes for great water storage in a crawl space!!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    That's just the thing. She usually buys the booze before a family get together on her side which is definitely the drinking side and they always show up with too much booze of their own. It's not people showing up looking for a free hand out.
    I get it.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Finished landing all the wires in the main at the new place. Decided to organize the mechanical room and found 2k of wolf brass .223 and 500 rounds of .22 lr that I forgot I had.

Once I got rid of the stuff not needed in there I added a sleeping bag set, couple gallons of water, and a case of MRE's. It will be my go to area if anything happens while I am working there.

I need to clean out the 275 gallon tank I put in there and get it filled but I just keep working on the list.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Finished landing all the wires in the main at the new place. Decided to organize the mechanical room and found 2k of wolf brass .223 and 500 rounds of .22 lr that I forgot I had.

Once I got rid of the stuff not needed in there I added a sleeping bag set, couple gallons of water, and a case of MRE's. It will be my go to area if anything happens while I am working there.

I need to clean out the 275 gallon tank I put in there and get it filled but I just keep working on the list.

Ah yes....the "LIST"

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Finished landing all the wires in the main at the new place. Decided to organize the mechanical room and found 2k of wolf brass .223 and 500 rounds of .22 lr that I forgot I had

I love finding ammo I didn't know I had. It's one of my favorite things to do. Yesterday was three battle packs of Swedish 9mm. Last week it was four of the same in a different part of the shop and a full case(5000rds)of .22 sub-sonic. I didn't think I had a single round of s-s and this is the second case I've found this month.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My list is mainly composed of things to do so I can move into the new house.

To move I have to complete the house, per the bosses rule, and I have to downsize a lot of stores. I wish it was just a honey-do list. I faintly remember those days.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I bought a couple more water filters and some dry foods. Also picked up 2 more baofeng radios. After the wedding I'm going to pick up a gmrs base station to go with my cb base station. I'm slowly building up comms.

Top Bottom