• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Got sick. Went to the doctor and it is viral but the doctor asked if I wanted some antibiotics. Oh course I do! I got a prescription for Kflex.

Always get those antibiotics for viruses...they don't work on viruses and don't worry about the expiration date...they send them to be used overseas if they expire...I was told they are for another year or 2.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I've been trying to learn to identify edible plants on our property. I know a few, but I suspect there are more edible ones than I have identified so far.

Have been working on damming up short sections of one of our ravines to make several small water holding areas to trap rain water. When I'm done I should have added about a thousand gallons of water storage capacity.

I plan to plant some cattails (as a survival food source) in a shallow frog pond. I know they can take over a pond so I will have to watch them. There are no fish in this small pond, but plenty of frogs, e.g., frog legs!

I have a good recipe for cattail soup. Lots on the net.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Added another 45 rolls of toilet paper to my stock...I am aiming for a years supply. bought some more coffee and peanut butter....went to be prepared school...learned some great home defense stuff, learned some first aid stuff, learned a little about forging and herbal meds. I taught how to live in your backyard for 72 hours with all you need buried in the ground in a 6 gallon bucket and showed some easy to make bobs, not every one has to have a 70 pound pack...some water filtering ideas, and how to make soup with no water. Good weekend.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I covered my 35k gallon underground water storage system (pool). Added some rounds to the stores, updated my plate carrier a bit. Bought some wild edibles books. bought a couple more buckets and lids. Added more dry goods to the buckets.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    No, the chemicals used to treat pools are not good for you to ingest. However you can use the water for cleaning clothes and so forth. I guess if it was all you have the, but i would make other water arrangements myself. Just my :twocents:

Is Pool Water Safe to Drink in an Emergency? - DisasterStuff.com

Yeah, well luckily I treat my own pool. It's safe to drink, like many other pools.

All the news stories of people dying from drinking pool water can't be wrong, right? lol.

Seriously though, if you know the source and how it's kept, it's fine.

Drinking Swimming Pool Water in an Emergency (Modern Survival Blog)
    http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/drinking-swimming-pool-water-in-an-emergency/

IlikeAk's

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Bought two more mosin nagants at the gun show this weekend. I love communist weapons! I also stocked up on some more can food. Next week charcoal!

Last edited:

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Bought an oil lamp and oil, and a couple thousand matches. Some "new safer" strike anywhere and the a bunch of books of matches. Also found some nice rope on sale at Menards (100 ft. For 4.99) and of course, a thousand rounds of Remington CBees! Hunting rabbits will never be the same! Lol

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Picked the blackeyed peas and shelled about 7#. My fingertips are sore but I will shell more soon.
    Wife ordered three led lanterns that use d cells. Now to find a solar charger...bought new hoses
    for the tractor. Need anti freeze , maybe next week...

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, well luckily I treat my own pool. It's safe to drink, like many other pools.

All the news stories of people dying from drinking pool water can't be wrong, right? lol.

Seriously though, if you know the source and how it's kept, it's fine.

Drinking Swimming Pool Water in an Emergency (Modern Survival Blog)
    http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/drinking-swimming-pool-water-in-an-emergency/

I treat my own pool as well, but I fail to see what that has to do with anything? Muriatic acid is still muriatic Acid, Metallic Algaecides are still Metallic Algaecides, pools have a higher than normal chlorine level than drinking water which all are known chemicals that can cause harm to your kidneys and other organs in drinking amounts .

Maybe you treat your pool differently than the rest of us

It is better to give good, safe, sound advice. Almost every preparedness book I have read on water has stated how unsafe pool chemicals are for ingestion (one is Survival mom....ck it out its actually a good book) , as well as the fellas at the pool supply telling me the same "it will not hurt you if you just swallow a little while swimming but its not meant to be drinking water".

There is a difference in opinions when it comes to this subject and you can't rely on every internet expert for your information (because we know that if it is on the net it's true!). The FDA says its ok but they also say GMO's are ok or certain levels of arsenic in your food is ok. I tend to lean on the conservative side that says if in doubt don't do it. If I'm wrong so be it, I am not a chemist who has performed pool water drinking tests bu any means but when you have conflicting information its better to be safe than sorry and you have failed to show me some actual proof proving me wrong. Feel free to drink what you like, but I know I have prepped for actual safe drinking water for myself and my family, and I hope you have as well.

Your right because people do not use their pools to swim in and no one pee's in the water because they use them to drink from! GMAB!

:popcorn:

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I treat my own pool as well, but I fail to see what that has to do with anything? Muriatic acid is still muriatic Acid, Metallic Algaecides are still Metallic Algaecides, pools have a higher than normal chlorine level than drinking water which all are known chemicals that can cause harm to your kidneys and other organs in drinking amounts .

Maybe you treat your pool differently than the rest of us

It is better to give good, safe, sound advice. Almost every preparedness book I have read on water has stated how unsafe pool chemicals are for ingestion (one is Survival mom....ck it out its actually a good book) , as well as the fellas at the pool supply telling me the same "it will not hurt you if you just swallow a little while swimming but its not meant to be drinking water".

There is a difference in opinions when it comes to this subject and you can't rely on every internet expert for your information (because we know that if it is on the net it's true!). The FDA says its ok but they also say GMO's are ok or certain levels of arsenic in your food is ok. I tend to lean on the conservative side that says if in doubt don't do it. If I'm wrong so be it, I am not a chemist who has performed pool water drinking tests bu any means but when you have conflicting information its better to be safe than sorry and you have failed to show me some actual proof proving me wrong. Feel free to drink what you like, but I know I have prepped for actual safe drinking water for myself and my family, and I hope you have as well.

Your right because people do not use their pools to swim in and no one pee's in the water because they use them to drink from! GMAB!

:popcorn:

I do take good care of my pool. It's my emergency drinking water. I treat it as such, no algae treatments, no out of whack chemicals, just a good sand filter and chlorine. It takes somewhere around 15k gallons of ingestion of standard pool water with chemicals before 50% of people will react. I've done plenty of research and I'm satisfied it's safe. Even had the water tested to make sure. If you're not comfortable with it, I understand.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom