Link for the vent -o-matic - all I got was industrial fans

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Link for the vent -o-matic - all I got was industrial fans

Sorry, longbow... I don't think they are made any more.
    I tried to find them last fall and searched exhaustively to no avail.
    I'd like another one myself, so I can double my capacity.

I think I originally bought it out of the back of a seed catalog, but can't even remember which one.

:patriot:

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Well, in a way...we went shooting yesterday.....200 rounds of 45ACP, a few boxes of 20 ga buck and played w/ my poor mans version of a SAW...7.62 X 39 RPK.......about 80 rounds. Firsast time my Son & wife shot the RPK...from prone position and they claimed sore shoulders....ha!

GSquared

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Columbus
    Bought two #10 cans of Mountain House Beef Stew at Gander Mountain.

Bought 1000 once fired .45 brass at the 1500.

Bought a light mount for my shotgun at the 1500 and put it on tonight.

Rode the exercise bike for 40 minutes.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Found three p mags, so now all the missing ones are found. Until the kids or wife move stuff around again.....

Rotated gas and will do the water this weekend...

Tilled half the garden.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    And I finally got my garden seeds started in the Vent-O-Matic hothouse:

web.jpg

:patriot:

Looking good! My FIL is building a hothouse for us this week. The seeds are germinating in the spare bedroom already. I am building cabinets for canned goods storage this weekend. Hung the "reloading supplies" cabinet in my workshop/garage last weekend, and just need to start stocking it.

Baby steps!

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Had a tree cut down in my back yard in order to provide my (soon to be) garden two more hours of sunlight.

Bought a rear-tine tiller and rabbit fence for the garden perimeter.

I hope those veggies taste real good this year, because they sure are expensive.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Well, I've just completed a 2 month trial run living almost entirely on my surplus of supplies. We did go to the grocer for milk, butter and cheese but all other food was from the pantry. Heated with wood (and a bit of propane), kept the electric on and the internet. Found a few weak spots in my preps, bread uses flour faster than I thought, juice for the kids was thinned with water to last longer and need a bigger supply. In a real SHTF scenario I can see a definite need for a couple of milking goats and some laying hens w/rooster. More detailed report to follow, but overall a complete success with enough of most supplies to last at least another 6-8 months the way we are and due to the fact that weak spots were found and are being dealt with. Another thing to be considered is the strain it put on my relationship w/wife probably due to being up each others backside 24/7. That's a BIG consideration that no one ever seems to address, but I am now!

ETA: Running short on beer but plenty of the hard stuff to last a year or more:)

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    We did a couple of neat things this week in addition to the basics:

I did the normal stuff; added another #10 can of freeze dried food, bought extra canned goods and put them in storage, rotated some of the older stuff up to the kitchen pantry.

The two neat things we did we did because we feel pretty good about our preps and we want to expand to add a few luxuries. My wife bought a dwarf orange tree that she intends to pot and keep indoors.

The other cool thing is that my family (me, wife, my dad and my cousin who lives in the house behind me) all home brew. We mostly make wine. Wine is easy to produce and we have lots of fruit trees and grape vines growing on the property. Even in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenario if you have fruit or flowers and a few basic items you can make wine. We have discussed that continuing wine production in TEOTWAWKI would give us a renewable source of trade goods.

Although we also brew beer, beer is a bit tougher and it takes a few more steps and ingredients to produce than it does to make wine. So, my luxury prep this year is that in addition to our normal order of seeds from Gurney's I ordered a hops vine. The little guy arrived yesterday. He just looks like a bag of dirt. I'm going to plant him in the fence row and I should have 25' or so of hops by late August.

I doubt that I would ever produce beer in the same volume that I could produce wine under primitive conditions, but, having the only case of beer (actually my typical run produces about 25 pints) could make things interesting in TEOTWAWKI.

Again, these are things that I consider "luxury preps" that we got more for fun than absolute neccessity.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom