What is a fair price for 9mm in todays market?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is the price not fair or is it gouging if there is a buyer willing to pay the asked price?

If there is no sale, because the item is overpriced, is the "sale" still considered unfair or gouging?

Not talking about me beating you to Walmart to buy up all the ammo to resell to you at 2-3-4 times the price.

Talking about the value of on hand stocks becoming a better deal to sell than to keep or shoot.

:dunno:

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Someone made the point here during the last panic, gouging really only applies to goods that are necessary. An example is gasoline in a hurricane zone when there is a mandatory evacuation.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Someone made the point here during the last panic, gouging really only applies to goods that are necessary. An example is gasoline in a hurricane zone when there is a mandatory evacuation.
    But, but, but I might need the ammo to fight off the zombie hoards in this political pandemic apocalypse? Who can know what ANTIFA, BLM or other terrorists will be up to as the weather warms?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ditto. I don't need any right now, so my "buy price" is way below the current market.
    I learned my lesson in 2013, getting stuck without a decent supply. So as ammo became available if l notice a good deal I’d buy it. “Need” used to be defined by whether I had enough for the next range trip. Since 2013, “need” means whether I have an acceptable long term cache for the given market.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had plans to really get back into regular practice and shooting matches this year. I have enough reserve components, after a couple slow shooting years, that I thought I was fine to proceed with that plan?

I hate to promote the crazy high price selling/buying any more than what it already is. However, with prices as they are, I question how many trigger pulls I want to have when just the primer is valued at $.10, $.20, $.25 each?

I'm not opposed to jumping into the market and selling some components vs shooting them at current value either. :dunno:
    BW, for me, it will remain to be seen if I stay in the sport. I have already sold most of my firearms off. I have the ones I inherited which are largely safe queens and a couple that I do shoot regularly. And I am still hitting the range weekly. I decided that I am just going to shoot what I have until I get down to an amount that I should keep for emergencies. At that point, if things don't get better, I'm out.

For me, it does no good to hold my ammo for a sunny day. I won't get any better at shooting and I'm not getting any younger. I don't know what tomorrow will bring so I will shoot for today and let the future work itself out. I've had a lot of hobbies over my lifetime. I will have no problem diving into another one that fits within my budget if this one stays expensive.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Unless you know the person buying it your fairly sold items will be flipped at a profit. Even money. I see it here every day.
    Yup. I did have a guy on here that I sold some AR parts to call me an offer to sell them back to me since he changed his mind. In that time period, the prices went up. He was offering to sell them back at what he paid so I could turn around and resell at a higher price.

I told him that I have no issue with him making money on something I sold him. I got what I wanted. Once I let go of something, I don't care what you do with it. I have no emotional or financial connection to it. It's yours now.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Great, another thread about the cost of ammo. The other seven of them are already so do diverse, it's about time we had a new one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup. I did have a guy on here that I sold some AR parts to call me an offer to sell them back to me since he changed his mind. In that time period, the prices went up. He was offering to sell them back at what he paid so I could turn around and resell at a higher price.

I told him that I have no issue with him making money on something I sold him. I got what I wanted. Once I let go of something, I don't care what you do with it. I have no emotional or financial connection to it. It's yours now.
    Absolutely.
    But in this climate good people trying to help or be fair are most likely being fleeced.

There was a very fair price for a lot of 9mm ammo in the classies yesterday and the nuts went CRAZY WHEN THEY DID NOT GET IT. I MEAN WENT CRAZY.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Absolutely.
    But in this climate good people trying to help or be fair are most likely being fleeced.

There was a very fair price for a lot of 9mm ammo in the classies yesterday and the nuts went CRAZY WHEN THEY DID NOT GET IT. I MEAN WENT CRAZY.
    I had a similar thing happen to me when I listed Pmags a couple weeks ago at a very fair price. My inbox blew up and I couldn't keep up with the amount of people saying they would take them. At the same time I was selling a revolver and that guy snagged a bunch when he realized I was the same guy.

I ended up pissing a buyer off which I hate to do. :(

I pride myself on being fair with solid integrity. I failed a fellow Ingoer. But I tried to make amends. It's on him whether he wants to forgive or not.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a similar thing happen to me when I listed Pmags a couple weeks ago at a very fair price. My inbox blew up and I couldn't keep up with the amount of people saying they would take them. At the same time I was selling a revolver and that guy snagged a bunch when he realized I was the same guy.

I ended up pissing a buyer off which I hate to do. :(

I pride myself on being fair with solid integrity. I failed a fellow Ingoer. But I tried to make amends. It's on him whether he wants to forgive or not.
    In the heat of this we make mistakes. It happens. Its happened to me. And will happen again.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I recently traded a P365 for a Glock 19/3 with threaded barrel and suppressor sights. Fair to me, since the P365 is too small for my hands. Trader said he always wanted one. Later that same day it appeared on AL for sale. What he does with what is now his stuff is no concern of mine.

As for ammo, I roll my own for 12 cpr 124 gr JHP. Can't sell it, but no need to buy either. No one is holding a gun to the buyer's head. It must be worth it to them or they wouldn't pay.

Excuse me now, I have to go sell some primers at a huge markup...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I recently traded a P365 for a Glock 19/3 with threaded barrel and suppressor sights. Fair to me, since the P365 is too small for my hands. Trader said he always wanted one. Later that same day it appeared on AL for sale. What he does with what is now his stuff is no concern of mine.

As for ammo, I roll my own for 12 cpr 124 gr JHP. Can't sell it, but no need to buy either. No one is holding a gun to the buyer's head. It must be worth it to them or they wouldn't pay.

Excuse me now, I have to go sell some primers at a huge markup...
    I am loading at $0.11/round, not including brass which is range pickups.

I haven't purchased powder or primers in a long time so I haven't paid today's prices for either and I think the Blue Bullets I purchase are reasonable in price at $0.0675 each.

Though, you are only a penny more with JHP's. That is pretty good!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I bought 1k rounds yesterday for $0.77/rd delivered.

More than I wanted to spend, but less than I was willing to spend given the current market situation.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Absolutely.

LOL I saw that...

tenor.gif

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    BW, for me, it will remain to be seen if I stay in the sport. I have already sold most of my firearms off. I have the ones I inherited which are largely safe queens and a couple that I do shoot regularly. And I am still hitting the range weekly. I decided that I am just going to shoot what I have until I get down to an amount that I should keep for emergencies. At that point, if things don't get better, I'm out.

For me, it does no good to hold my ammo for a sunny day. I won't get any better at shooting and I'm not getting any younger. I don't know what tomorrow will bring so I will shoot for today and let the future work itself out. I've had a lot of hobbies over my lifetime. I will have no problem diving into another one that fits within my budget if this one stays expensive.
    Greg, I agree to a point... with it all being relative.

Case in point, I have what I thought was a reasonable amount of 22LR, some plinking, some match grade, for the 22 shooting I do, or rather did.

Got a red dot as a gift for the 10/22, miracle find of a 22 pistol a month ago, and all the sudden I'm wanting to shoot rimfire steel. Figure about 5 bricks for the season... oh oh, that severely depletes my 22 LR.

Look in the classies and man, that's too rich for my blood cash price (but someone else will be happy with it).

Luckily, I had some excess 9MM, traded locally for the bricks I needed and will be flinging it in the general direction of steel, God and weather willing, because to me, it only cost what I had in the 9MM... or at least that's what I tell myself, lol!

But yeah, current cash market price, different story... so I get it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s a good point. What stops panic buying more than complaining about “flippers” is extraordinarily high prices. The prices will settle back down when the demand eases.

Top Bottom