What is a fair price for 9mm in todays market?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Greg, I agree to a point... with it all being relative.

Case in point, I have what I thought was a reasonable amount of 22LR, some plinking, some match grade, for the 22 shooting I do, or rather did.

Got a red dot as a gift for the 10/22, miracle find of a 22 pistol a month ago, and all the sudden I'm wanting to shoot rimfire steel. Figure about 5 bricks for the season... oh oh, that severely depletes my 22 LR.

Look in the classies and man, that's too rich for my blood cash price (but someone else will be happy with it).

Luckily, I had some excess 9MM, traded locally for the bricks I needed and will be flinging it in the general direction of steel, God and weather willing, because to me, it only cost what I had in the 9MM... or at least that's what I tell myself, lol!

But yeah, current cash market price, different story... so I get it.
    A little over a year ago, I said I had enough .22 to last me the rest of my life. At today's shooting, I have about 2 years supply.

Amazing how perspective changes, eh?

If I get this next order of 5000 primers in late February, once I load those up and combine it with what I have loaded this winter so far, I'll be good the rest of the year to shoot what I want.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Good time to get a loan to start an ammunition factory. I wonder how much red tape is involved, cost to set up 1 line or just get about 25 Dillon's and experienced reloaders to crank out ammo around the clock. I believe you have to have an FFL to produce new or reloaded ammunition. Then insurance etc. How long would it take to get your money back you invested and the time to get it started?

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Good time to get a loan to start an ammunition factory. I wonder how much red tape is involved, cost to set up 1 line or just get about 25 Dillon's and experienced reloaders to crank out ammo around the clock. I believe you have to have an FFL to produce new or reloaded ammunition. Then insurance etc. How long would it take to get your money back you invested and the time to get it started?
    I believe this was discussed earlier in the current shortage and basically the major bottleneck seems to be primers, there's only a handful (less than 5 IIRC) major primer manufacturers in the US if I remember correctly. Something about economies of scale, trying to manufacture primers in-house is more expensive than outsourcing to the major manufacturers even at current prices. So even if a new company pops up and they can get or make brass, powder and bullets at a reasonable price they'll still have to adjust for the price of primers and wouldn't be able to beat the major manufacturers' prices on loaded ammo. This is what I remember from older threads, if someone knows better please correct me

Top Bottom