• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That's what "they" say now. When "generation x" was first used in the early 1990s, maybe late 80s, it referred to anyone born from 1960-1980. Most people born in 1960-1964 have almost nothing in common with most baby boomers.
    Awesome I'm genX and not a millennial. Bullet dodged. Honestly I may go get a tattoo to celebrate. If I was a millenial I'd probably get Starbucks or a video game

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I rode that wave. Being born in 84 home computer and cell phones existed for the wealthy, then as technology got cheaper and better it grew up alongside me.

In elementary school I learned to look up things in books that I found with card catalogs.
    By the time I was in Jr. High, I used a computerized card catalog to find the books faster.
    By high school age I could use the catalog at home and reserve the book using the internet.
    During high school I used fewer books and connected to on the internet for most research.
    As an adult I have the entirety of human knowledge in my pocket, on demand, from anywhere.

last to actually remember the berlin wall and apartheid.
    answering the phone without caller ID. (and only having a single landline for the whole family)
    cable TV meant no commercials.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dude, you were probably already walking around and holding your own bottle when I was born! Deal with it!

I got a pic.....

9k=

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think the big divider should be Analog and Digital.

For the Digital children you can further divide by the first digital device you used:

Pentium
    I-Phone
    etcetera

Further subdivision can be made for Mini/Mid/Main Frame (from the barely digital era). Iron Ring Memory, floppy sizes, CD vs Blue Ray...

I 'love' going to museums and seeing crap I used as a kid...but hey, at least we went to the moon. :p

Heck, when I was a kid if you were a 'boomer' everyone would be hiding under their desk...

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

For the Digital children you can further divide by the first digital device you used:

Pentium
    I-Phone
    etcetera

Further subdivision can be made for Mini/Mid/Main Frame (from the barely digital era). Iron Ring Memory, floppy sizes, CD vs Blue Ray...

I 'love' going to museums and seeing crap I used as a kid...but hey, at least we went to the moon. :p

Heck, when I was a kid if you were a 'boomer' everyone would be hiding under their desk...

MOS 6510

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Motorola 6809.

First 8086 had 1-5.25" floppy...NO hard drive.

At my first law clerk job, 1997, the law office I was at used a TRS-80 model II for legal research with its 2-8" floppy drives....and NO hard drive.
    Z

trs80ii.jpg

Yes, in 1997...and they were so proud of that thing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Pentium
    I-Phone
    etcetera

You're too modern with an 8086/8088! Think 6502, 6800, 8008, 8080, Z80 . . .

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Hey, I was just giving you a point of reference to be in the digital age...to be fair most of us vacuum tube folks weren't really digital...ergo the reference to iron ring memory...I'm not sure a 1200 baud modem really counts...or using a rotary phone modem to call into the computer to run your basic program...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey, I was just giving you a point of reference to be in the digital age...to be fair most of us vacuum tube folks weren't really digital...ergo the reference to iron ring memory...I'm not sure a 1200 baud modem really counts...or using a rotary phone modem to call into the computer to run your basic program...

What of grand palatial estate did you have to possess such luxury?

Try a 150 baud acoustic coupler modem, sir!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As I said before...those of us in this discussion don't belong to the digital age. We can claim that as a badge of respect as we don't stare with incomprehension at a slide rule...or a map.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hah! I remember being in envious of my friends who had touch tone phones. Making a call was . . . effortless!

Top Bottom