• DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Siri...WTH is a rotary phone?

Hah! I remember being in envious of my friends who had touch tone phones. Making a call was . . . effortless!

I still remember our old HEAVY black rotary phone (provided by Ma Bell IIRC), and the sound it made as you were dialing. We had a box centrally located in the hallway that contained the "bell" - the phone itself didn't ring, but the box did. And the phone had a 4-prong plug that plugged into the jack. I also remember my grandma having a party line. You didn't answer unless it was "your" ring. I also remember "exchanges" - our home number was STATE 6-1541. (STATE = 78, downtown exchange was MELROSE = 63) Good times! :oldwise:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Hah! I remember being in envious of my friends who had touch tone phones. Making a call was . . . effortless!

Yeah...I remember...Frigging Richie Rich's....They had brick instead of Asbestos siding like we did...I'll tell you Asbestos shingles and rotary phones built character...And when I wanted to see some semi nekkid ladies I didn't pull up my phone and look at Jenna Jameson...No Sirree Bob...We got the Sears catalog out and headed to the unmentionables section with the granny panties...Or fidgeted with the cable box until we got to see this....

8DB.gif

I hope the mods don't ding me for posting this...Pretty darn racy right there....

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I still remember our old HEAVY black rotary phone (provided by Ma Bell IIRC), and the sound it made as you were dialing. We had a box centrally located in the hallway that contained the "bell" - the phone itself didn't ring, but the box did. And the phone had a 4-prong plug that plugged into the jack. I also remember my grandma having a party line. You didn't answer unless it was "your" ring. I also remember "exchanges" - our home number was STATE 6-1541. (STATE = 78, downtown exchange was MELROSE = 63) Good times! :oldwise:
    Yep we had a rotary phone when I was very little. I remember it well.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    We had your grandma's type phone until I was almost in high school. We also didn't have indoor plumbing and central heat until I was about 10. Trips to the outhouse in the dead of winter taught you bowel control and we had coffee cans next to the bed to use as bed pans. I'm not quite Churchmouse old but very close.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

We had that attached to our wall with an external ringer. When Ma Bell got busted into the Baby Bells and they let you use your own phones, my father had them remove the wall mounted rotary dial we were renting from them. Unfortunately, he did not specifically tell them to remove the ringer attached to the wall as well. YEARS LATER I took over paying the bills and found that the telephone bill still had a monthly charge for that inert, useless ringer. The phone company "graciously" agreed to refund a princely two months of the charges. Yes, my mother should have been more attentive to the billing, but that was deceitful and probably intentional on their part. I pride myself in that I live an ATT-free life now!

I do miss those old desktop rotary Bell phones, though. If you need an impact weapon, there were few things in the household more effective than clobbering someone with the phone.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I do miss those old desktop rotary Bell phones, though. If you need an impact weapon, there were few things in the household more effective than clobbering someone with the phone.

My mom (who is 85 now) volunteers at the front desk of the local hospital. They have one of those heavy rotary phones on the counter in case the electricity goes out. One day a couple of years ago, a man came up and asked for a certain patient's room. This particular patient was not to have visitors for security reasons, so my mom said she had no information about that patient. The man said "You're lying!" and threw the phone at my mom's head, hitting her just above her right eye.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah...I remember...Frigging Richie Rich's....They had brick instead of Asbestos siding like we did...I'll tell you Asbestos shingles and rotary phones built character...And when I wanted to see some semi nekkid ladies I didn't pull up my phone and look at Jenna Jameson...No Sirree Bob...We got the Sears catalog out and headed to the unmentionables section with the granny panties...Or fidgeted with the cable box until we got to see this....

8DB.gif

I hope the mods don't ding me for posting this...Pretty darn racy right there....

CABLE BOX!!!??? What were you, Bill Gates' time traveling relatives?? Is Thurston P. Howell your uncle? How many oil wells did you have?

We had an aerial antenna that allows us to get two, sometimes three of the Indianapolis stations. It also allowed mischievous children easy access to the roof.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    At that time, there was not a security guard posted at the front, and he just ran out the door before anyone could catch him. They took my mom to the ER to have her checked out, and it was just a bruise fortunately.

Glad to hear it wasn't more serious.

That makes what I am posting slightly less tasteless.

**language warning**, 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKf7Zre1djE

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    CABLE BOX!!!??? What were you, Bill Gates' time traveling relatives?? Is Thurston P. Howell your uncle? How many oil wells did you have?

Okay Dude...You ever been riding through eastern Kentucky or southern Indiana and see a $20,000 dollar Mobile Home with a $40,000 bass boat and a $25,000 truck in the drive????

It's about priorities man....:)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    heh, how many millenials even know a corded phone?

My mom had a working rotary phone mounted to the wall in the last house till she finally moved after I was out of college. She teaches flute in the evenings a few days a week and whenever some kid needed to call home for parents to come get them due to not having a phone or forgotten, she directed them to it. It was out of the way in back so no need to tear it down and it fit in being an old house.

As we all b**** about the old stuff from laptops and phones on the internet connected to all human knowledge lol.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'm reminiscing not b****ing...when I retire in a couple years we may very well go back to no cell phones and that old black DuKane rotary [sitting downstairs in the Alert Facility (bar)] on the wall in the kitchen.

I'm not a fan of the digital 'labor saving devices' that make everyone on call 24-7 to work, family and friends. It's why I'm not on faceplant, twiterer, linked-dogs or any of those other ADSD oh, look a squirel sites.
    We will still have a computer and the interwebs...but I find that very easy to walk away from.

All this from a guy who's made his living on technology for decades...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay Dude...You ever been riding through eastern Kentucky or southern Indiana and see a $20,000 dollar Mobile Home with a $40,000 bass boat and a $[STRIKE]25,000[/STRIKE]50,000 truck in the drive????

It's about priorities man....:)

FIFY! Dude! When was the last time you shopped for a truck? $25K gets you spare tire and one floor mat.

If you drive slowly enough and look through the front window, you can see the 70-inch television mounted on the wall displaying the top of the line satellite TV offerings.

Top Bottom