Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I shot a Bill Drill in 2.04 seconds at seven yards today. All Alpha. This is my best one ever. Starting to come together. I did this with the SS gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I shot a Bill Drill in 2.04 seconds at seven yards today. All Alpha. This is my best one ever. Starting to come together. I did this with the SS gun.

Interesting that your best performance is with a single stack .45 and not your .40 Limited gun. Do you think that you'll be able to do even better with the Brazos gun the next time?

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Interesting that your best performance is with a single stack .45 and not your .40 Limited gun. Do you think that you'll be able to do even better with the Brazos gun the next time?

Could this have something to do with the weight of the gun? Maybe the difference between perception and reality :dunno:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think it was more that I just connected. I shot several today that were no where near as good. I shoot the Brazos the best without a doubt. It was the perfect storm of great draw, no trigger freeze, perfect focus and no tension. Blind hog and an acorn may be as accurate as anything. (Both have heavy springs in them)

My grip was so high on the gun that the rear cocking serations cut my thumb. I think the abnormally high grip helped me shoot flatter with less muzzle flip and that contributed to the success.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A bill drill in 2.04 s is impressive. Drawing from a belt holster instead of a speed rig makes it even more so.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So the goal is to be under 2.00 sec with all alphas everytime Correct?
    I think I see why your marriage didn't work out. You have to allow a man his illusions.

I would have to get under two seconds once before it could be everytime.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    speaking of blind hogs and acorns :D (yes, the one on the right broke perf, if just barely!)

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Still haven't broken the 1 second draw to 7yd alpha barrier yet. Had a few 1.01s and 1.02's, but not there yet. More dry fire. :draw:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    speaking of blind hogs and acorns :D (yes, the one on the right broke perf, if just barely!)

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Still haven't broken the 1 second draw to 7yd alpha barrier yet. Had a few 1.01s and 1.02's, but not there yet. More dry fire. :draw:

Great run. You can pull the trigger fast for sure. Next time I will watch your draw more. Surely it can be smoothed out somewhere.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Great run. You can pull the trigger fast for sure. Next time I will watch your draw more. Surely it can be smoothed out somewhere.

I'm sure it can. Chuck mentioned at the last steel match that there were moments he thought the gun was going to fly out of my hand (i.e. not smooth)

1.0x is really pushing it. Par time for me is more like 1.2x. I need work from surrender as well. 1.4x-1.5x there.

I'm looking forward to your input on it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'm sure it can. Chuck mentioned at the last steel match that there were moments he thought the gun was going to fly out of my hand (i.e. not smooth)

1.0x is really pushing it. Par time for me is more like 1.2x. I need work from surrender as well. 1.4x-1.5x there.

I'm looking forward to your input on it.

The first thing to look at is where are you losing the time. Is it while the gun is still in the holster, or is it when the gun is up and you are searching for the sights?

My own issue is when it is up. I have found that pushing straight out from a high position helps break that first shot so much faster. Make sure the gun is coming up and then out level.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    The first thing to look at is where are you losing the time. Is it while the gun is still in the holster, or is it when the gun is up and you are searching for the sights?

My own issue is when it is up. I have found that pushing straight out from a high position helps break that first shot so much faster. Make sure the gun is coming up and then out level.

I think that is where I am losing time as well. I have a slow draw, but most of it is finding my sight for the first shot. Also, when coming into a position, where the hell is my sight?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

Good question...I don't know. Probably both?

I can say that the difference between the 1.2x par time draws and the 1.0x draws is trigger prep. Generally, I'm not doing much to prep the DA pull, and that's part of the problem. When I do, that's when I get the 1.0x draws.

Mongo has told me I have a bit of a delay coming out of the holster, but I couldn't tell you what part of the movement is costing me. If I get that part figured out, I could run the sub 2 everytime, I think. Having an extra few hundredths available on each split would make it a lot easier to actually see the sights and not drop the Charlies. At .20-.21, it feels like I have all the time in the world (read: SLOW), at .17-.18, not so much. And at .14-.16 I'm not really getting a 2nd sight picture. I see the front, but couldn't tell you where it was in relation to the rear or the target.

In other news, the dry fire program seems to have paid off some. I did some reload drills yesterday as well. reload to a 10yd alpha was pretty consistently in the 1.6-1.7 range. I think at the end of last season it was 2ish, if I'm remembering right.

I should probably keep a log of this stuff.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think that is where I am losing time as well. I have a slow draw, but most of it is finding my sight for the first shot. Also, when coming into a position, where the hell is my sight?
    Pushing out high lets you find the sight sooner. In transitions things might be tougher to deal with. Are you dipping the gun from target to target?

Top Bottom