• netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    HST = Hydra Shock Two
    EDIT: Or more likely it stands for 'Hi Shok Two'

The first generation of hydrashocks had a pin in the middle of the hollow point, and the jackets were only sliced about a quarter of the way down. The HST has a gaping hollow point, and is the jacket is slit more than half way down to aid in rapid expansion.

Last edited:

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    HST = Hydra Shock Two

The first generation of hydrashocks had a pin in the middle of the hollow point, and the jackets were only sliced about a quarter of the way down. The HST has a gaping hollow point, and is the jacket is slit more than half way down to aid in rapid expansion.

Thanks VUPD and netsecurity for clearing that up, I learned something today. The 180gr HST are labeled as "Law Enforcement." I know a couple of local PDs carry them. And to think, I joined INGO for this very reason... who knew this was still a gun website?

Edit: Still curious, I Googled Hydra Shock Two and came up with this from the PAFOA website.
    Actually, that’s not correct. The Hydra-shok and HST do not share bullet technology (the closest in lineage to the HST is probably the Hi-Shok, NOT the Hydra-shok). Anyway, according to Federal, HST does not stand for Hydra-shok Two or anything of the sort. The Hydra-shok’s unique feature is a post in the center of the hollowpoint, which the HST does not share.

Also, the HST comes in both regular and bonded flavors; the latter being preferred for penetrating barriers such as windshield glass.

So, not wanting to take another gun owners website's info over ours, I looked further and found this from Federal. Apparently HST is not Hydra Shock Two and is a completely different animal, designed for different properties, and the bonded is yet another horse of a different color.

TACTICAL® HST®
    The next generation in high performance duty ammunition.
    HST offers consistent expansion and optimum penetration for terminal performance. A specially designed hollow-point tip won’t plug while passing through a variety of barriers and this bullet holds its jacket in the toughest conditions. HST is engineered for 100% weight retention and impressive expansion.

VS Hydra-Shok®

The choice of law enforcement agencies nationwide. Federal's unique center-post design delivers controlled expansion, and the
    notched jacket provides efficient energy transfer to penetrate barriers while retaining stopping power.

TACTICAL® BONDED®
    The edge you can carry into any situation.
    When the situation leads to a lethal force encounter, rely on your backup, your experience and our Tactical ammunition. Made exclusively for law enforcement, it achieves accuracy and terminal performance unmatched by any other ammunition today. Tactical is your single, best choice for precision accuracy and barrier penetration. Tactical Handgun offers an extremely accurate hollow point with outstanding weight retention, excellent jacket integrity and consistent 1.5 caliber expansion.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Thanks VUPD and netsecurity for clearing that up, I learned something today. The 180gr HST are labeled as "Law Enforcement." I know a couple of local PDs carry them. And to think, I joined INGO for this very reason... who knew this was still a gun website?

Edit: Still curious, I Googled Hydra Shock Two and came up with this from the PAFOA website.

So, not wanting to take another gun owners website's info over ours, I looked further and found this from Federal. Apparently HST is not Hydra Shock Two and is a completely different animal, designed for different properties, and the bonded is yet another horse of a different color.

Good info. I haven't researched it in a while. So HST = Hi Shok Two, not " hydra". My bad. Whatever the case, it is the latest evolution of their defense round and the best affordable defense ammo in my book. You can get a box of 50 for under $30, whereas others charge that for 20 rounds.

HST is all I use for defense. I have 124gr, which I am told is what police use, 147gr, which is what I prefer, and 147gr+P. I even have some in +P+, but frankly I'm weary of the additional recoil from any hi pressure ammo, since that is not what I practice with. So if you are looking for the best defense load, try some. The 147gr will supposedly expand to around 3/4".

PS, Federal doesn't sell these in retail stores. They are labeled "LEO only" (not legally binding), but you can buy them online, or maybe at a gun store. Also check out Winchester Ranger Talons, another good LEO load with great expansion.

Last edited:

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I'd like to find some of the .40 165gr HST and compare it to the 180gr HST side by side. A certain shop, which may or may not be in Greenfield, has been my go-to for LE 180gr HST since they opened. Reasonably priced too...

bk5777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    bloomington
    IMPD carry 40's. The rounds that an Officer will carry is used at the time of re-qualifying. He is then issued new rounds. If the department believe that they have found some miracle round, it will be issued at that time.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    IMPD carry 40's. The rounds that an Officer will carry is used at the time of re-qualifying. He is then issued new rounds. If the department believe that they have found some miracle round, it will be issued at that time.

Yeah...no. While the carry rounds will be expended at the range from time to time, it is not what we use to qual. And the likelihood of changing from Federal's line is slim. Long relationship.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Yeah...no. While the carry rounds will be expended at the range from time to time, it is not what we use to qual. And the likelihood of changing from Federal's line is slim. Long relationship.

To bad as "I" think the Speer gold dots would be a nice upgrade in the handgun and AR...

Top Bottom