• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    The housing market today is a lot like the firearms market. In that it's totally an over saturated buyers market at present. I'm retiring at the end of the year, and we're planning on moving out of the Phoenix, metro area, to western Arizona along the Colorado river. The market for homes in places like Lake Havasu City and Ft. Mohave is totally a buyers market, with homes stagnating on the market for 200+ days. Bank foreclosures are everywhere.

There are very few qualified buyers that are able to obtain mortgages, with the new stricter lending policies most banks and lending institutions employ today. That will work in our favor when the time comes for us to buy. Then the opposite will be true when we turn around to sell this place. It will have to be priced to move because I don't want to sit on an empty house for months trying to unload it.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I get all of the "it's worth what someone will pay" sentiments. However...
    1. One needs to make their own ethical decision about selling for an outrageous price to an uninformed buyer. Personally, I think it's bad karma, but that's an individual decision.
    2. We need to be careful about selling to prohibited persons. To me, this seems to be the most logical reason for a person to pay a high price for a common gun. Just because someone is on INGO does not guarantee that they are a "proper person".
    3. Seems like there is a substantial number of individuals who do a LOT of private-party sales via INGO. Do they risk running afoul of ATF by selling without a FFL?

Dark-Mark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Casteton
    1. One needs to make their own ethical decision about selling for an outrageous price to an uninformed buyer. Personally, I think it's bad karma, but that's an individual decision.
    2. We need to be careful about selling to prohibited persons. To me, this seems to be the most logical reason for a person to pay a high price for a common gun. Just because someone is on INGO does not guarantee that they are a "proper person".
    3. Seems like there is a substantial number of individuals who do a LOT of private-party sales via INGO. Do they risk running afoul of ATF by selling without a FFL?

i am wondering about the #3 too.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    One needs to make their own ethical decision about selling for an outrageous price to an uninformed buyer.

It's up to the buyer to educate themselves. It's not the sellers responsibility. This is why car dealers love selling to single women. They manage to extract a higher selling price from most all of them. It's because most women are uneducated about such things. That's just the way it is. If someone has a dollar, there will be 100 people standing in line to separate them from it.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County

There is a difference between listing something high and outright ripping someone off who does't know better. You are making a lot of assumptions here. I don't advocate ripping people off but at the end of the day only adults are allowed to buy guns and it's their job to educate themselves just like any other purchase.

On point 2, I could say the opposite was true about people who sell guns at a very low priced, that it means they are likely stolen, but that would be an assumption as well...

I just don't get these threads with people complaining about the classifieds... If you don't want to pay the asking price, don't buy it...

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    It's up to the buyer to educate themselves. It's not the sellers responsibility. This is why car dealers love selling to single women. They manage to extract a higher selling price from most all of them. It's because most women are uneducated about such things. That's just the way it is. If someone has a dollar, there will be 100 people standing in line to separate them from it.

That's why car salesmen are held in such high regard by the general public. Like I said, it's an individual decision.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    ...On point 2, I could say the opposite was true about people who sell guns at a very low priced, that it means they are likely stolen, but that would be an assumption as well...

My point was that an improper BUYER would be willing to overpay, not an improper seller.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    That's why car salesmen are held in such high regard by the general public.

You don't hear them complaining about it. They're not in business to be loved by the public. They're in business to make money. The more they can make off uneducated consumers, the better they like it. They cry all the way to the bank. If you want to stop the bleeding, you have to educate yourself against their bull$h!t. It really is just that simple. Sharks will continue to swim as long as there is food.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    There is no need in today's world to be an uninformed buyer. With internet you have to be a total idiot to not know the value of something you are looking to buy. My opinion on a lot of sellers with over priced firearms is they are targeting a market that is unable to obtain a firearm legally.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    That's why car salesmen are held in such high regard by the general public. Like I said, it's an individual decision.

Comparing a car dealership salesman to a guy selling a used pistol on a forum. Can't quite get there on that parallel sorry... Like I said if you don't like the price, it's quite simple, you don't buy it lol

People who complain about these things are the same ones that will leave negative feedback for someone for "He sold it to the other guy after promising it to me!!"

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    rbz0gj.jpg

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    and cliff notes for people who still refuse to read the thread:

i had a gun that new is about $900, put in the for sale thread/add that i would take a Glock 17 PLUS CASH, for my gun, and Glock owners got offended when i told them i would need $300 and their guns for mine, they got all butthurt. they wanted to trade straight up.

so gun is now sold, and i bought a reasonable priced one.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    its simple, lots of people want glocks, cuz they are awesome. There are lots of people willing to pay those prices, or else no one would offer them at high prices. newbies have heard of glocks and want them. so most people can get the money out of them. yeah it sucks, but thats demand.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

i had a gun that new is about $900, put in the for sale thread/add that i would take a Glock 17 PLUS CASH, for my gun, and Glock owners got offended when i told them i would need $300 and their guns for mine, they got all butthurt. they wanted to trade straight up.

I know. There are therapy groups for those folks. They meet in the church basement on Wed. night. It is the room next to the 1911 anonymous group therapy meeting.....:)

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis

You left out the part where you generalized everyone who owns a Glock as unreasonable, delusional people. And the part where lots of folks took umbrage to it and called you out for starting a whole new thread to have a little temper tantrum.

The cliff notes for your entire premise: "I put something up for sale, and no one would give me what I wanted for it right away, so instead of bargaining or simply saying "pass" to whoever made offers to me, I got upset and started a different thread complaining about it, and then got even more upset when people didn't rally to agree with my position."

Congrats on getting what you wanted dude, but you were wrong in starting this thread in the first place. And the fact that you don't seem to grasp why you rubbed so many people the wrong way is frankly astounding at this point.

It would be great if the mods could close this thread, we are now at the point where we have come upon the deceased equine and apparently will keep bludgeoning said equine until we lack the strength to bludgeon any further. Seriously, this issue has run its course.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I'm thinking something along the lines of...supply, demand, value retention....a good product holds its value better than a sub-par product...? Something like that....

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    a good product holds its value better than a sub-par product...? Something like that....

That's far too general of a statement to apply to most "products". Glock's included. Many cars and trucks are quality products. No vehicle "holds it's value", because they're all considered to be depreciating assets, regardless of who manufacturers them, or what they cost. They will all be worth nothing in time. Quality goods get used up like any other. That in itself doesn't make their quality inferior. Northern makes some of the best toilet tissue on the market. No one would suggest it's bad because it doesn't "hold it's value" after it's been used.

Top Bottom