What is UP with South Central Gun Club Matches??????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Is it the USPSA or the steel challenge matches that are down?

Steel challenge is growing in the Terre haute area. 86 guns last weekend I believe. It seems to be growing. Uspsa seems to be stagnant.

When I started 30 was a good size match. A few years ago, some of the matches were occasionally 80+ and routinely 50 and 60+.

I'm guessing heat and family obligations. I know some that won't shoot Sunday due to church obligations.

As far as the stages, I liked a mix of technical and hosers. I'm shooting area 5 this year and I'm okay with it. However, I think that new shooter doesn't like the butt kicking the technical stages can be.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    Only one way to learn is to shoot matches or get training. I believe heat has a lot to do with it, then family commitments . There are a lot of shooters that shoot SCSA and not USPSA also.

SEdington

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2018
    Seymour
    Max, I pulled 2018 and 2019 to-date shooter participation counts from Practiscore for our USPSA matches. Graph and raw data included below. I haven't had a chance to see if there are any insights but thought I would share so you had visibility to underlying data. Steve

SCGC USPSA Monthly  Match Participation 2018 - 2019.png SCGC USPSA Monthly  Match Participation 2018 - 2019 raw data_corrected.png

Last edited:

SEdington

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2018
    Seymour
    I also pulled some age data from the August USPSA match to see if that provided any insights. I determined age assignment via "Super Senior", "Senior" and "Youth" categories with everyone else getting assigned to the expansive 19 - 54 category. No big surprises. . . participation is heavily weighted to older shooters with the resources and time to shoot. Youth shooters are really under represented and like all shooting sports we really need to work on pulling the younger crowd into our sport if we want it to survive.

SCGC August USPSA Match Shooter Age Data.png

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Max, I pulled 2018 and 2019 to-date shooter participation counts from Practiscore for our USPSA matches. Graph and raw data included below. I haven't had a chance to see if there are any insights but thought I would share so you had visibility to underlying data. Steve

View attachment 79015 View attachment 79016 [SUB][/SUB]
    I question the weather data in your spread sheet. I don't think it has ever been 89 in January

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I also pulled some age data from the August USPSA match to see if that provided any insights. I determined age assignment via "Super Senior", "Senior" and "Youth" categories with everyone else getting assigned to the expansive 19 - 54 category. No big surprises. . . participation is heavily weighted to older shooters with the resources and time to shoot. Youth shooters are really under represented and like all shooting sports we really need to work on pulling the younger crowd into our sport if we want it to survive.

View attachment 79017

I feel there has been more youth shooters. This metric may or may not be entered in PractiScore. But keep in mind USPSA competes with church, part time jobs, school, clubs, vacations,.........

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    Well as My Old Math teacher always said"Liar figure but figures never Lie" I can't believe no one accused Craig of ANYTHING!!!! I guess all the input is positive so thanks. Max

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    From the graph looks like shooter attendance normally falls off during the summer. So not Craig’s fault, his stages are fine. Don’t get me wrong he still sucks for making me forget to shoot brown targets and hit white and black targets, but otherwise his stages are fine.

I was going to just say Craig sucks. Then I thought payback is a ..............

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    The stages are fine, maybe one hoses would be nice.

Road construction almost had me turn around and go home.

Also, this is near the start of school and last time for a family vacation.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    I'm a new competitor who just joined this year. I enjoy SCGC and the matches. As a new shooter in the sport, I've enjoyed the stage design. For me it is difficult to make the same weekend of every month work, so I've had to mix things up and try USPSA or Steel Challenge wherever it is being shot the one weekend I'm free. I know for my situation, my children's school summer break has made a difference in what we can fit into a summer vacation and therefore my time to get away for "me time." This is Indiana so you can't always count on the weather to take it's fair share of the blame.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have been out of commission for the past year or so, but I do think that the road construction has impacted the attendance. The road construction can make 1.5 hour trip into a nightmare. Three hours on the road to shoot is a real hard decision for a lot of folks.

Darwin1973

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 6, 2015
    Columbus
    My name is Craig and I approve this message... lol

I will take the blame as needed. Hahaha. thanks guys.

I wonder if everyone is correct. I can see it being a combination of issues. Heat, the summer schedules with kids, road issues (every interstate in indiana has issues now) and less youth and a older crowd.

Glad you guys like the stages. Nate remember that thing on the front of your gun can be usefull

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    Thinking about the youth perspective, I think it's a pretty intimidating sport to get into. I know a lot of middle aged shooters who are afraid to give it a try.
    I think the movement aspect scares a lot of people.
    Of course once they try it they learn that is one of the best aspects. That's where I think Steel Challenge has an advantage to attracting youth.
    Rimfire options probably help in that aspect as well. Attracting youth is something all shooting sports need to work on if they want to last.

RRamsey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2015
    sullivan
    I have not been able to make it this year to any club matches except Riley. I have heard goo things about matches this year.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Love your matches but as a high class problem there are so many matches to choose from these days.i am spread thin between Clays, Benchrest, Fighting Rifle, Pumpgunners Action Shotgun, The 1911 45Club, BuGGun, VarmitHunting, CAS,Bullseye, Bowling Pins, SCSA, ICORE, IDPA and USPSA. Sorry can’t talk right now...gotta run the Dillon, clean some guns and take a nap.:rockwoot:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The schedule just keeps getting more and more full. Hard to make it to matches like I want to do.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    First half the year was work hell. Then it was family commitments. Vacation. Daughters confirmation. Last weekend was another family thing. I hope to make it back Sept/Oct.

last weekend I logged in it said the last time I had even visited this site was June 11.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    First half the year was work hell. Then it was family commitments. Vacation. Daughters confirmation. Last weekend was another family thing. I hope to make it back Sept/Oct.

last weekend I logged in it said the last time I had even visited this site was June 11.

October is the Bob Trueblood Match. Bigger match, lunch provided. I would say Sept and Oct would be good months to make a come back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom