• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I had the same trouble with a box of Federal bulk .22s. Noticed one with a soft report but it did clear barrel in my 22/45. About three rounds later had a second one that made less noise than a toy cap. I stopped and the bullet was about an inch and a half down the barrel from the muzzle end. Tapped it out, luckily no damage. Contacted Federal and they sent a pickup tag and replaced the ammo.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    So, nobody thinks that Remington is actually helping us with this crap ammo? What about all the practice we get learning how to clear malfunctions? Heck, just learning to pay attention to each shot to determine if it was a squib is priceless training.

All too often our shooting sessions lack focus. I for one think that shooting this current version of Remington Golden Bullets is a good thing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They didn't work for me either. I didn't have the bucket but I had several boxes (maybe a brick, can't remember). I shot them up through my revolver. I don't buy Goldens or Thunderbolts either.

But there are so many choices out there and according to the people in the know, they will perform differently in individual firearms.

I'm just not willing to invest the time and energy into purchasing boxes of ammo and testing them in all my .22's so I suffer with poor shooting performance.

At least that's what I'm blaming my performance on.:)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I guess I must be really lucky then because I really haven't had too many issues with them. Granted, I mainly just use them in my 10/22 but I managed to earn my Marksman patch at the last Revere's Riders basic rifle class with Golden bullets.

I have had issues with them in certain handguns because they are generally too under powered to cycle the slide reliably. But for rifle.plinking at 50 yards and in, I'll shoot them all day long.

I shoot quite a bit of Golden Bullet as I stocked up on them for my AA conversion kit. I buy them in the 525 packs not the buckets, and I stay away from Thunderbolt. I have a few here and there that may not fire the first time, but no major issues. Though many of mine are from my stock rather than recent purchase.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    I shoot quite a bit of Golden Bullet as I stocked up on them for my AA conversion kit. I buy them in the 525 packs not the buckets, and I stay away from Thunderbolt. I have a few here and there that may not fire the first time, but no major issues. Though many of mine are from my stock rather than recent purchase.

Same situation here.
    Again, older stock and from the boxes, not the buckets ... but they've been largely OK for me.
    I haven't looked for 'em from new or recent stock. Trying to lean toward CCI as my first choice and Aguila Super Extra when I find 'em (nice round for the price). Federal Champion's also has done OK for me with some consistency.

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    I bought a bucket of them and last time at the range I had a couple of jams (very unusual) and my shooting sucked.
    I'm pretty new to this and figured it was just an off day.
    Maybe it was the ammo

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I still have some from a 550 or 525 box, can't remember, that I bought probably 15 years ago or so. They're still around cause I usually reach for something else before those. I've never had a problem with one, they just seemed really cheap from the get. The bullet was so loose in the case that you could easily wiggle it around, enough so that at first I was afraid they might fall out of the case if I wasn't careful. Again, I can't recall having any problems, it just appeared that Remington seriously cheaped out on them. It's the only golden bullets I've bought since then. Now the Thunderbolts and the Sub sonics I love. Never had an issue with either of those and they've always felt like good quality rounds.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think their process is to setup all the shells, then just toss handfuls of powder in the air, and what lands in the shells is what lands in the shells.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    In the rimfire world, they've long been known as Golden Turds and ThunderTurds. I don't keep any of them, nor the Winchester or Browning crap. They've also been accused of creating heavy lead deposits in front of the chamber, so keep an eye on that. If they work good for anyone, I'm always happy to hear it.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Haven't shot any recent Remington golden, but have had great luck with Thunderbolt 22 ammo. It works well in my Sterling and my AMT backup. Both guns are picky and won't shoot a lot of 22 ammo
    including CCI mini mags

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've gotten to where I don't even count my bucket of Golden and the various bricks of T-bolt in my 22 stash. I'm not sure I'd actually shoot it in a SHTF case.

My goal is to hit 10k of rounds I actually like. Way too much of my stash is Rem and I'm working to address that. I certainly won't buy anymore of it. Not after what t-bolt did to the barrel of my SW22 Victory.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I've gotten to where I don't even count my bucket of Golden and the various bricks of T-bolt in my 22 stash. I'm not sure I'd actually shoot it in a SHTF case.

My goal is to hit 10k of rounds I actually like. Way too much of my stash is Rem and I'm working to address that. I certainly won't buy anymore of it. Not after what t-bolt did to the barrel of my SW22 Victory.

Probably a good time to get top dollar for them, or it will be soon. There was still a little bit at Cabela's last Friday. The only Remington I stock is some older Rem/Eley .17 HM2 and some 115 gr. 9mm HP.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have always known they were 'marginal' ammo, but I bought one of those "Bucket O Bullets" in .22 clad hollow points just to go boom.
    The first three sounded like magnums while others sounded like they may not have made it out of the barrel. (I checked, they did)
    Forget where they hit the paper (if they hit the paper) they all sound different every time you pull the trigger.
    They aren't discolored and they aren't even that old, they just plain suck.
    Some might think I am just complaining to complain, but that is not the case. It is a 1400 round tub, I shot about 100 and I will give the rest of the bucket to anyone who wants to come get it.
    I am all the way south in the state in Crawford County and believe me when I tell you they aren't worth driving far to get them.
    I will go off who posts first below so you can get them. You have to write a report on what you think of them is the only stipulation.
    Just don't think I am exaggerating...

I have a few buckets of the Rem. G.B. I have picked up early on here & there & have used them on the range the last 3 times just b/c they were in my gun suitcase.
    Evidently, I have been fortunate not have had issue with them with my semi-autos. :dunno:
    When I want better accuracy, I use something else.
    I have quit buying the G. B. since I have other brands that I prefer now.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Remington ammo has become one of my least favorite. Definitely noticed quality issues more the past few years in 22 and 9mm. Not saying I won't buy it for range use, but would prefer other brands if the cost is close.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I bought one of the 550 boxes of the stuff several year ago and it is actually quite reliable in my 1971 PPK/S. Tried some in one of my 22/45s - reliable but not as accurate as the std. vel. I use for target shooting. For the best overall accuracy and reliability in 22lr high velocity the Mini Mags are what I usually use.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I’m on my fifth bucket in a year or so. No real complaints, decent accuracy, reliable ignition and function. Must be lucky, don’t know how everyone seems to have problems with them

Top Bottom