• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Training scars of various forms are probably where there is the most validity to the shooting sports will get you killed on the street. One of those is holstering or scanning with an empty gun, which is why I brought it up here and included a possible solution as well.

I am guilty of this in the carry matches. As long as there are at least 7 rds in the gun (reload after 6 without going to slide lock), I often don’t change mags after a stage. I need to change that practice.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What does one do when the experiences conflict?

Rational decisions must be made.

Btw I have a dog problem on my walking route. There are three of them at one place. Hoping to avoid any latched on situations.

I just answered what my plan is and what I've personally done. There are certainly other valid approaches, and the context matters a lot. Am I going to have to go clear a room or enter a wood line to actively seek trouble, or am I covering the bad guy waiting for the cavalry? If I'm verbally de-escalating, do I want to be loading a gun at the same time? If I'm hurt, is it more important to start the cavalry or to top off? The really good news is when experiences conflict it's because everyone survived to tell the tale and draw their own conclusions. The differences in the approach failed to affect the outcome in the slightest, and that's what you're going to find even if you look through metric butt-tons of cases as far as type of reload, speed of reload, when to reload, etc. particularly outside the contexts involving actively seeking out trouble. It's of more value because it gets you thinking about post-shooting response and perhaps a realistic evaluation of your own strengths and weaknesses, then anything else.

What I will say is I was ready with 28 left in the gun. The officer who decided to do a tac reload and couldn't seat his magazine on the closed bolt wasn't. I see no need to jack with a known functional weapon for a marginal increase in onboard capacity. If we accept that magazines are the source of most malfunctions for magazine fed weapons, are we really increasing our odds of prevailing by taking a known good system and changing something? Your next mag is almost certainly good. You're almost certainly going to seat it correctly. You're almost certainly not going to drop it. Similarly, what remotely plausible scenario can I solve with 29 before needing a reload that I failed to solve with 28 before needing a reload? I know I was more ready with 4 in the gun should the situation escalate then I would be if he began closing the distance while I was reloading, and that 5 vs 4 wasn't as big a factor as other tasks I needed to complete. I reloaded once I had time and space to do so without the possibility of being interrupted, because at that point why wouldn't I? All higher priority tasks are done and I'm not going to leave it partially loaded forever.

Those are things that lead me to my approach, along with what I've already discussed. You're not wrong to do it some other way and it's pretty unlikely to get either of us kilt in the streetz to have a different approach to this very very marginal aspect of a fight. Know your own strengths and weaknesses, tailor your approach accordingly.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Situational awareness aside and returning to the original topic.:yesway:
    Addressing the original question, practice and training is the best "practice". Maybe I'm not thinking deep enough but my plan is pretty simple, continued training. Carrying an extra mag is a great idea and I do 95% of the time. The magazine is the heart of a semi-auto, without a mag you have a single shot. Mags and ammo are also at the heart of almost all malfunctions so having extra of both seems like the prudent thing to do. To be honest I haven't given the "if and when" I might need a reload any consideration. I get practice doing reloads at the carry matches and I'm reasonably proficient at it. I think most of what happens in a self defense situation will be instinctive for those involved. Trying to decide what situation warrants after shooting 10 of the 16 rounds I'm carrying is the proper time for a mag change is a mental exercise I'm not interested in participating in because it's impossible to calculate all the variables that would give me an answer.
    When interacting with other human beings it's impossible to anticipate an outcome let alone a possible self defense situation that pops up when least expected. I've heard BBIs say that the first thing people tell him that have been involved in a self defense situation is "it didn't happen the way I thought it would". In reality most of what happens to us every day is unexpected so I feel continued practice and training is the answer to coping with what will most likely be a very unexpected situation.
    The bottom line is, the chances of me being in a SD shooting are very small. Chances that I will need an extra mag or I will be required to change mags in that situation, even smaller. My experience as RSO at the range has convinced me that I am more prepared to defend myself than 98% of the people I see carrying guns. If my encounter involves someone in that 2% I won't be completely outclassed because it's not going to play out exactly the way my adversary has planned it either, it never does.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We have a couple of wheel gun enthusiasts in NWI, When I carried a wheel gun I only carried one speed loader in my pocket.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Currently, my reload plan is "don't". The pants pocket that would hold a reload holds a tourniquet.

Various bags that I carry contain a reload, but that's inaccessible enough to be irrelevant for immediate defense.

Coach has seen me shoot, I think he'd agree that's a good thing for the no-shoots of Indiana.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    On a side note I pepper sprayed 2 of the 3 dogs that harass me on my morning walk. There is a pack of three at one location. They shut up and went back into the yard and left me alone. The pepper spray did not have the howling and full retreat effect I was hoping for but it improved things drastically. Looking forward to see how tomorrows interaction goes. Hoping they stay up by the house and watch me with hate and fear filled eyes.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have heard that ammonia in a squirt gun works. I don't walk as that is healthy. I have some pepper spray that is beyond date. Not sure if that is like the FDA thing or the cans lose spraying power. My youngest went to Terra Haute this morning... I should have sent some with her for you, just in case.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    On a side note I pepper sprayed 2 of the 3 dogs that harass me on my morning walk. There is a pack of three at one location. They shut up and went back into the yard and left me alone. The pepper spray did not have the howling and full retreat effect I was hoping for but it improved things drastically. Looking forward to see how tomorrows interaction goes. Hoping they stay up by the house and watch me with hate and fear filled eyes.

. . . like your students?

Ohhh!! UN-BE-LIEVABLE! :joke:

Top Bottom